Texas Animal Health Commission Cattle Identification plan

Help Support CattleToday:

Here is one of the questions and answer, asked about that:

Q: Is this rule a federal rule?

A: No, this is a Texas rule, but it will put the beef industry in compliance with the anticipated USDA Animal Disease Traceability rule for interstate movement expected to be released later this year.

Of course, I think its a good idea to have all of your replacement heifers, brucellosis tested, and tagged. Other than branding, its the only way to identify your cattle. (unless you run a registered herd)

Why worry about, this state agency is worthless. I took Dee Ellis, head of this group to task over the number of animals being sold on Craigslist and other places that had free adds that had not been tested for Trich... His response to me was please pass along the phone numbers, but we will not be trying enforce the rules these folks cause we dont have the time or resources...ANYONE that wishes to dispute, I will be happy to share the email for your viewing....This is just another paper tiger group that wants too collect some more of the Texas cattle producers money.

Limomike":33nk9lrb said:
Of course, I think its a good idea to have all of your replacement heifers, brucellosis tested, and tagged. Other than branding, its the only way to identify your cattle. (unless you run a registered herd)

Why should I test some thing born on my place and is going to stay on my place?

The only way I can see they will get you is when some one buys cattle at the auction barn to go back to pasture they will force the sale barn to do it and pass the cost on to the buyer or seller. They might check some of the more high profile sellers across the state but as said, they dont have the resorces to really enforce it.

Their id plan has a flaw - it only has capability of tracing the animal back to whoever put the tag in. Cows change hands here in East Texas frequently - kids need new shoes, sell a cow, washing machine goes out and need a new one, sell a cow, hunting season and need a new rifle or bullets, sell a cow. There is no provision to keep up with where that cow has been in case of a disease outbreak. Just trace back to whoever put the tag in.

When the legislature cut TAHC funds and eliminated first point testing at the sale barns, they cut out being able to track down or trace who sold an animal.

And as I read it, cattle going to slaughter don't need the tags--just cattle that are changing ownership person to person--as in private treaty sales. If their intention is to be able to trace cattle back from a problem found at slaughter, it would seem they're gonna be sol in many cases.

Q: Can I move my cattle directly to slaughter from my farm or ranch without an ID?
A: Yes, ranchers can move an animal directly to slaughter from their premise without an ID. Breeding cattle otherwise changing ownership by private treaty (country sales) must have acceptable identification.

Still waiting for the feds to do something like this as well--figured last USDA Ag Census form would ask about IDs but I didn't see anything.

BC":3cr90xsy said:
Their id plan has a flaw - it only has capability of tracing the animal back to whoever put the tag in. Cows change hands here in East Texas frequently - kids need new shoes, sell a cow, washing machine goes out and need a new one, sell a cow, hunting season and need a new rifle or bullets, sell a cow. There is no provision to keep up with where that cow has been in case of a disease outbreak. Just trace back to whoever put the tag in.

When the legislature cut TAHC funds and eliminated first point testing at the sale barns, they cut out being able to track down or trace who sold an animal.

You are dead on I fixed a tractor for a fine heifer, I have barterd hay for them and so on.

Latest posts