Animal protection efforts have unintended results

Help Support CattleToday:

Sir Loin

Reaction score
Animal protection efforts have unintended results

The calf huddled in the tall grass near the fence line, helpless and all alone.
Until a concerned passer-by rushed to the rescue. She snuck into the pasture and muscled an 80-pound newborn Charolais out of the pasture and into the back of her Lexus SUV. Then she drove it back to her garage, where she attempted to nurse it with formula and a turkey baster.

Read the rest of the story at:

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20111 ... CFRONTPAGE

Jogeephus":2kbvn3on said:
Its a shame they weren't rasing brangus.

You're awesome Jogee. I got these visions of this cow we call "Big 'Un" running those folks out of the pasture. You always know when a calf is being born by simply looking at Big 'Un. If she is nervous and on guard, somebody is calving. She is also a dog killer.

The whole article just goes to show how stupid some people are. If that happend to me I would be PISSED! Like I always say, "Stupid humans".

As an aside, a buddy of mine had a calf that the cow hid so well it took us 3 days to find the little booger. I swear we walked that pasture a hundred times, finally she was out bouncing around momma one day.

Around here we get alot of what we locals call "citidiots"...I swear they think all animals need a fluffy bed and their food served in a crystal bowl!! They drive me crazy. Without fail every spring I get some dumba$$ showing up with a fawn they found "abandoned" alongside the road, or letting me know I have a cow in the pasture that is "dead" (yeah dead ASLEEP!) actually had some lady stop by to let me know she was calling the sheriff cuz there was too many piles of POO in my pature and it was unhealthy (she actually suggested I needed to be out there daily cleaning it up....I offered her a shovel :D ).

What would happen if someone was in the pasture trying to pick up that calf and the cow got up set then hurt them or worse killed them? Could the owner of the cow get sued? What kind of insurance is needed to protect your self?

Reminds me of when we had a front pasture right along the road that was over run with pheasants. We had one old cow that was a real pain because she alwasy wanted to be scratched. Road hunters would come by and see all those peasants and climb the fence to get some shooting. As soon as the cow saw them she would burn rubber running over to be scratched, bellering the whole way. Never found any shotguns but there was always a lot of torn cloth hanging from the fence.

Ryder":3dbau07u said:
Brute 23":3dbau07u said:
In Texas we can shoot them.. just have to say it looked like they were stealing some thing. :)
I was thinking maybe that woman should be charged with rustling. She stole the calf, did she not?

Or at the very least be made to stand by the fence for a week or so holding up her sign.

I'm friends with an old school vet. You know the kind that doesn't put braces on dogs or perform lap band surgery on overweight poodles. The kind that just treats animals for their illness and such as that. Anyhow, he was telling me about a call he got from the Humane Society about a starving cow. Said he was drug out into a pasture of lush bermuda grass to a pen by these folks to be shown an empty feed trough that had nothing in it but a single peanut so he could bear witness to the starvation of the few fat cows that were on the property. I don't know exactly what he told them but they don't call him anymore. He's kinda like that too.

High Cotton":nc6rl980 said:
What would happen if someone was in the pasture trying to pick up that calf and the cow got up set then hurt them or worse killed them? Could the owner of the cow get sued? What kind of insurance is needed to protect your self?

Not in Georgia. It would be a case of trespassing and we've had some recent liability changes that protects people from stuff like this. Locally, the landowner would be given a reward if it was a known agitator type environmentalist.

Jogeephus":e5cj4aye said:
High Cotton":e5cj4aye said:

Not in Georgia. It would be a case of trespassing and we've had some recent liability changes that protects people from stuff like this. Locally, the landowner would be given a reward if it was a known agitator type environmentalist.
That's a second plus for Georgia

Dun, it was long overdue. It made it where people were too scared of letting others on their land without signing all sorts of papers and before the change one could break their leg while stealing your horse and sue you for loss of income. Its just a common sense policy that took years to implement.

Ok, I'm just trying to get my ducks in row. I want to have everything in order before the first cow leaves the trailer. That story made me think. I know if your tagging/tatooing a calf and it bellows be ready for a a head butt.

High Cotton":1v4t30ad said:
Ok, I'm just trying to get my ducks in row. I want to have everything in order before the first cow leaves the trailer. That story made me think. I know if your tagging/tatooing a calf and it bellows be ready for a a head butt.
Depends on the cow (or other cows in the herd)

High Cotton":1j7dd1hs said:

Yup. Our cattle will be up your butt before you get the ear tagger out your back pocket... ask me how I know. :shock:

And now here is all I have to say on the subject:
stupidpeople-1.gif

Latest posts