Rattlesnakes

Help Support CattleToday:

I let more go than I kill but I'm not going to let one hang around a place when there is going to be a good chance the snake is going to bite someone. I couldn't live with myself if this happened. Besides, I doubt many of us could afford the $30,000 it costs for the anti-venom treatments. Heck, I like dogs too but I'm not going to allow a rabid dog to hang around a fishing spot where people will be. JMO

Jogeephus":aezpbjgh said:
I let more go than I kill but I'm not going to let one hang around a place when there is going to be a good chance the snake is going to bite someone. I couldn't live with myself if this happened. Besides, I doubt many of us could afford the $30,000 it costs for the anti-venom treatments. Heck, I like dogs too but I'm not going to allow a rabid dog to hang around a fishing spot where people will be. JMO

I understand what you are saying and have killed snakes around the house as well. But out in the middle of nowhere I dont see a need to kill one just because they scare me. It almost seems to be bred into humans genectic code to kill one. Nice little ol ladys will wreck a cadilac tryin to run one down in the road.

I have been bitten by 3 dogs never been bitten by a snake. I'll bet dogs kill more people anually than snakes.

Jogeephus":3h6xnhkb said:
Buddy and I walked up to this old fish house. Curiosity got the best of us. Always a point man, I opened the door and stepped inside. No sooner than I finished making the comment that the place was probably full of rattlesnakes the alarm went off. I looked toward the buzzing and there lay this snattlerake just a foot or so from my bare legs. After defying gravity, defficating, and restarting my heart I returned and emptied my clip in it. (The door used to be bleach white. :oops: :lol2: )

Y'all got some BIG snakes down there in S Ga. I guess I'll stay in Indiana.

denoginnizer":1j4si76u said:
Jogeephus":1j4si76u said:

I understand what you are saying and have killed snakes around the house as well. But out in the middle of nowhere I dont see a need to kill one just because they scare me. It almost seems to be bred into humans genectic code to kill one. Nice little ol ladys will wreck a cadilac tryin to run one down in the road.

I have been bitten by 3 dogs never been bitten by a snake. I'll bet dogs kill more people anually than snakes.

Your making some wrong assumptions. There were going to be people around, including my daughter. About twelve people total. No need in letting a potential problem tick like a time bomb. We killed another one today. Never saw it until the truck ran over it and there were four guys standing not ten foot from where it lay. I can't wait till next month cause they will really be crawling then.

But I agree about not killing them. I don't go out of my way to do this. I let a big cottonmouth crawl off the other day. He was standing guard by the gate. I figured he was earning his keep and would have bitten any thieves dumb enough to mess with my stuff.

TNMasterBeefProducer said:
That is a nice un. I haven't seen any rattlers in years. Probably since the 1970's I know they are probably around but I have never seen or herd any.

People with shovels and little old ladies in cadallacs probably killed them all . :lol:

flaboy":3tfw77py said:
Ga.Prime, tell me you didn't let this feller go.

I done told you folks how to kill them with a limber stick.

I missed that post. So how do you kill them with a limber stick. I don't always have a gun or hoe or shovel at hand.

jcummins":ij0uz1or said:
flaboy":ij0uz1or said:

I missed that post. So how do you kill them with a limber stick. I don't always have a gun or hoe or shovel at hand.

A switch is the best thing to kill em with. (long switch that is) It will break their backs and not mess up the skin.

jcummins":3keh679z said:
flaboy":3keh679z said:

Ok, cut you a nice limber branch or weed stick about 3-4 feet long. Trim any obstacles off of it. Hold the bigger end and get the whippy feeling of the stick at the end. Take said stick and pop him anywhere from 1-3 inches right behind the head as if to pop the stick like you would a towel in a towel fight. Typically you don't have to be perfect with this pop. He should roll up on his back dead.

Now, you don't have to cut and trim a perfect piece. I have broken them off by hand and then pulled any limbs/leaves off by hand. I have even pulled the whole stick out of the ground roots and all. I just held the root end in my hand. What happens is you break his spinal cord and he is done. I killed a six foot diamond back with a pine sapling one day while scouting for a bow hunt. The sapling was about 8 feet and had been rolled up by a dozer but it was all I could find near by and not loose site of the snake. It had enough whip in it to work. If not I would have just turned it around and beat him to death with the tap root. :nod:

The perfect stick in my opinion is a nice longish fiber glass golf shaft and they work on cows too.

Huh…..wouldn't have thought taking a switch to a snake would work like that.

I'll give it a try the next time I run into one….if I can control my impulses to use other methods that are thought of as more lethal.

They are really crawling now. Watched a sure enough grown one cross the road yesterday. That makes three this week.

Wish I knew which way they were crawling so I could go the other way. When we first moved to Alabama my wife went outside late one night to let the dog do his business. She came back in and said she was standing next to the house and felt something on her toes. It was a fat rattler. She froze up and watched it crawl away. She was startled. I would have had a heart attack. I hate snakes. Tom :cboy:

kerley":12wl6phy said:
Wish I knew which way they were crawling so I could go the other way. When we first moved to Alabama my wife went outside late one night to let the dog do his business. She came back in and said she was standing next to the house and felt something on her toes. It was a fat rattler. She froze up and watched it crawl away. She was startled. I would have had a heart attack. I hate snakes. Tom :cboy:

A friend of mine got bit twice while feeding his dogs one night. They seem to be more active during the night or early morning hours. It was cloudy and overcast today. Kinda cool - 87 - and I saw one of the largest timber rattlesnakes I've ever seen. Easily between 5 - 6 foot long and as big around as my arm.

Angus/Brangus":2vl76sf1 said:
flaboy":2vl76sf1 said:

Flayboy there just seems something wrong with the idea of using a limber stick or Jogees "switch". It just doesn't sound lethal. How about a snake charmer instead? ;-)

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: I got a charmer. .410 with a 3.5" barrel but its never there when you need it. Seriously though, next time you go to kill one try the switch. It will surprise you how lethal it is.

Jo, I for one would like to hear your dimensions of a switch. I think most people hear that word and remember what Momma used to adjust their attitude, and while very painful I don't think it would have been sufficient to kill a big snake.

A young maple sapling is wonderful to use cause they are straight and limber. If I could pick the perfect one, it would be about the size of a fiberglass sorting stick but unlike the sorting stick it needs to be green and limber. Its this limberness that gives it the killing power to snap the neck. Unlike a big stick, one good lick with this will usually immediately immobilize the snake.

Today, I ran into one at the barn. I looked around and found a metal 1/2 pipe about three foot long. I hit him in the head with this while he was coiled and he just crawled under some old metal I had stacked up. This wouldn't have happened with a switch. Now I got to worry about that sob around the barn and I'm not about to move all that metal just to get bit. Looks like I'm going to be getting some more roosters or guineas.

Hey about Rattle Snakes, I have free range chickens. What do Roosters and Guineas do to Rattle Snakes or any snake? Just curious. Tom :cboy:

kerley":36j0umov said:
Hey about Rattle Snakes, I have free range chickens. What do Roosters and Guineas do to Rattle Snakes or any snake? Just curious. Tom :cboy:

They will surround the snake. I've seen this. What I haven't seen but have been told is that they will continue to mess with it until they kill it. I've never seen this. But my roosters did keep me from getting snake bit a couple of years ago when two large timber rattlers decided to hold up next to my tractor. I walked my usual path and found the roosters standing in a circle near the steps on the tractor. I stopped and looked and there the two snakes were. Right where I was going to step. I would have never seen them nor expected them had it not been for the roosters. I shot both of them and the roosters had a well deserved meal.

I killed this one hidden in a dirt bank while at deer camp. My husband did not see it. I fired the good ol' .357 with rat shot into the bank and he came boiling out. A couple more shots and that was it! We actually named the deer stand we were putting up Rattlesnake Inn!! The only part of bow hunting I hate is that the snakes are running! Saw one below my stand last year and realized that at one point I was going to have to climb down. I do wear snake boots but those do not protect from a heart attack! We have rattlers, copperheads and cotton mouths on our deer hunting land! Of course a chicken snake will give me a heart attack.

Jogeephus":3ezja7in said:
kerley":3ezja7in said:

They will surround the snake. I've seen this. What I haven't seen but have been told is that they will continue to mess with it until they kill it. I've never seen this. But my roosters did keep me from getting snake bit a couple of years ago when two large timber rattlers decided to hold up next to my tractor. I walked my usual path and found the roosters standing in a circle near the steps on the tractor. I stopped and looked and there the two snakes were. Right where I was going to step. I would have never seen them nor expected them had it not been for the roosters. I shot both of them and the roosters had a well deserved meal.

What!.....wasting ammo.....why didn't ya use yer stick? :D

Latest posts