I hate Rattlesnakes

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno

Reaction score
Ole Rube got bit this morning, my fault for not putting her in the kennel this morning.
Only thing that saved her life is she has been getting Rattlesnake vaccine six she was 6 months old.
She is not out of the woods yet. Fang marks 1 1/2 inches wide.
Vet gave her IV steriods and antibotics, the rattlesnake vaccine is equal to three vials of antivenom.

I hope she pulls through ... We had a spits poodle mix great tree rat dog.. he got bit by a big rattler around hen house ridge while we were camping .... But he had been bitten by cotton mouths before ... He lived no vet care or anything infact he jumped on a pit bull about 30 min later .. I guess he figured what the hell I'm gonna die anyway .. lol

Thanks, around here you had not bail onto the porch in the mornings without looking.
I have a cigar box of rattles, best set 21 rattles and a button, killed him about 100 yards from the house.

Tough deal CB, I hope your dog pulls through. How much does the vaccine help her chances? ie; 80% survival, 60, 90?

Good luck,
Alan

jedstivers":1kgimym1 said:
Give her some Bynedril (sp).

First thing I did, Jed before hauling her to the vet. Called him at the house told him to meet me at the office I was on the way in with Rube. I have a first aide kit that goes in my hunting vest that has bynedril, gauze, iodine, suture and needle , as well as an anti coagulate the vet gives me. I have lost four good squirrel dogs to timber rattlers over the years. Most died in 15 minutes cept Rube. My Vet said he has only saved one dog bitten by a timber rattler that wsn't vacinated and they had physical problems.
I am ate up with the dam things, when they were putting the drilling site pad about 1/2 mile from house workers told me they killed 49 on that 4 acres.

Rube is doing well just has to be on steriods and antibotics for a week. She was a sick little dog for about eight hours.
I totally believe in the vaccine after losing 4 before her over the years to rattlesnakes. She always has on a kevlar vest while hunting looks like she is going to have to wear it in the yard. I would have been terrible upset to have lost Rube she is a once in a life time dog. She is not the best squirrel dog I have ever owned but I have never had one try to please me as hard.

Caustic Burno":mdi4ykj4 said:
Rube is doing well just has to be on steriods and antibotics for a week. She was a sick little dog for about eight hours.
I totally believe in the vaccine after losing 4 before her over the years to rattlesnakes. She always has on a kevlar vest while hunting looks like she is going to have to wear it in the yard. I would have been terrible upset to have lost Rube she is a once in a life time dog. She is not the best squirrel dog I have ever owned but I have never had one try to please me as hard.

CB -- So glad Rube's prognosis is good! She sounds like a good dog, and it sounds like you take good care of her. I didn't know you could "vaccinate against" snake bite! :shock: Who 'da thunk in THIS part of the country? We don't seem them much here -- right here, within a couple miles. But our next door neighbor (the one that would frown at a "Tinkerbell" heifer) did find a baby rattler on his sidewalk last summer, so we've started paying better attention. So far, haven't stumbled on one on our property, and I don't think he has tripped over a mature rattler next door.

Glad to hear Rube is good. Sounds like you need some new boots! :) Whats kind of crazy weather ya'll have in Tx right now?! Do I dare to ask!?

Chevy":3ij7cv1z said:
Glad to hear Rube is good. Sounds like you need some new boots! :) Whats kind of crazy weather ya'll have in Tx right now?! Do I dare to ask!?

Go on-line. Search: Texas Weather. Google can help you with that. In short: hot, no rain for way too many months, and it's killing the cattle producers. It's been the topic of multiple posts here. Are you a brunette dyed blonde, or a blonde dyed brunette? Just curious. ;-)

TennesseeTuxedo":2lpktxli said:
That's a lot of dad-gummed rattle snakes for 4 acres.

Keep us posted on Rube's progress CB.

You better not hit the squirrel woods here without snake chaps.
When I was younger an avid bow hunter you had better look real good before climbing up or down a tree.
Timber rattlers are ambush predators and squirrel is no 1 on there diet. Well deer and squirrels after after the acorns.
I couldn't count the one's we killed during bow season. What makes them so dangerous is they won't rattle until your in striking distance. Seen one's that wouldn't rattle at all. In the fall before hibernation they will get on the porch to warm up. I don't know if due to three creeks funneling together makes so many end up here on top of the hill in the fall.

My real hair is auburn/brown....just really dingy sometimes. Its OK! ;-) Believe it or not google answer half my questions. :) Where I live I have this really ghetto news, I swear something serious could happen and I'd never know about it. To be honest I don't get a paper, I do watch the new sometimes, but I swear they are high....I really don't have a clue whats going on in the world. "I live in my own world and play in yours!" :p Really...I still have no yet figure out why we are are war, but you can spare me your time. I mean I understand its cause of 9-11, but I just don't get it. I didn't know who Bin laden was until I saw he was dead. Don't laugh cause I am being serious. You can call and ask my husband if you want. :shock:

Latest posts