Rattlesnakes

Help Support CattleToday:

ga. prime

Reaction score
P1020120.jpg

See, rattlers go the other way when given the opportunity. :lol2:

That's a beauty! They sure have been moving this week. Had a big cottonmouth startle me at the gate last night.

Whether they are coming or going... thats the kind I get my gun after... or a good hoe.

My Grandma used to say a snake is not dead till the hoe handle is broke. Every snake was a copperhead no matter what.

My Grandma said" If you ever come near me with a snake, I'll smother you with a pillow when you're sleeping."

And she meant it.

P1020129.jpg

Same snake. That first pic was on the side of the road. The snake went up the ditch and camped under some Gallberry bushes.

When she was 8 years old, my sister was bitten by a copperhead at my grandmaws farm on her way back from the outhouse. We never new if she stept on it or not, but it almost killed her.

I killed a big rattler a few years ago. It was over 5 feet long with 14 rattles. Biggest rattler I have ever seen with the exception of a big one that crawled up on my brothers carport over in west Tennessee. The one I killed was unique in that it was yellow with black markings. Neat colors but dead anyway! I shot it through the dack of the neck with my bow and pinned it to the ground. It was on the 3-d course at our archery range. It's body was like my forearm in diameter. Scary!

Ga.Prime, tell me you didn't let this feller go.

I done told you folks how to kill them with a limber stick.

I may live to regret it, but yes I did let him go. I always let them go unless they're near the house or where I'm working.

ga. prime":25vx5m65 said:
I may live to regret it, but yes I did let him go. I always let them go unless they're near the house or where I'm working.

I never allow a poisonous snake to live if I can help it. I figure I might just save someone a lot of pain or worse. I have had WAY too many close calls with them suckers.

flaboy, I can't fault you or anyone else that kills poisonous snakes wherever you find them. I've done it myself. These days though if a snake is in an unsettled area, I feel like he's got as much right there as anyone. Plenty of other people riding the roads killing everything they see without me helping them.

lilmac":5b292lqj said:
My Grandma used to say a snake is not dead till the hoe handle is broke. Every snake was a copperhead no matter what.
:lol2: Grandparents say the darndest things.

Buddy and I walked up to this old fish house. Curiosity got the best of us. Always a point man, I opened the door and stepped inside. No sooner than I finished making the comment that the place was probably full of rattlesnakes the alarm went off. I looked toward the buzzing and there lay this snattlerake just a foot or so from my bare legs. After defying gravity, defficating, and restarting my heart I returned and emptied my clip in it. (The door used to be bleach white. :oops: :lol2: )

IMG_2400.jpg

When I am in the woods I always let them and any other snake go. I was always taught to look for snakes when I am walking in the woods. I consider it good woodsmanship not to step on one.

It makes me angry when I have timber loggers are on the place and they kill every snake they see. It's my place and I like the snakes. Lots of things are dangerous but that doesnt mean it needs to be killed.

I'm with you there 100% denog. Some folks will risk life and limb of themselves and all others in order to run down and kill a snake of any kind. Then, after they kill one, they'll leave it in the road so you have to dispose of it or else smell it for the next two weeks. I don't need or want people driving through or coming on my land killing reptiles.

Jo, you sealed it man. All this talk about fish houses and okra got my menu set in my mind for Saturday night. Fried fish, okra, corn dodgers. A giant bowl of cole slaw. Huge platter of sliced tomatoes, onions, and cucumbers. Down by the river. Maybe I'll get some pics. :D

I like em a lot. I like to take a big one and a shovel and see how many little ones I can make.

The only exception is Bullsnakes. They are good at catching vermin and they are he[[ on rattlesnakes.

Latest posts