ration for purebred show cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

still_learning

Reaction score
This is my first post and I am wanting to know what is the best feed rations for purebred beef cattle for show and/or sale, we have Angus and Red Angus. I am currently feeding a ration a friend gave me but I am not sure I am getting the condition and growth I need or possibly I am not pushing them like I should be. Here is the ration:
750# cracked corn
750# oats
300# cotton seed hulls
150# barley
50# calf manna

We add wet beet pulp before feeding and more cotton seed hulls on an individual basis. Any suggestions are more than appreciated.

Need to see pictures or weights, and time frame to give you a for sure answer, but I will say you don't need to add more cotton seed hulls, or beet plup it's already plenty hot. Do you have free choice hay out?

The reason you are seeing lack luster performance is you have a lack luster ration there. The protein in that ration is way low just ballparking it at maybe 10-11%. I personally have found that a CP of 12 to 13% is where i like my feeds. The energy is great just need more protein. As to adding more CSH or beet pulp for the individual I wouldn't worry about making it too "hot". Beet pulp is a whopping 1 to 3% protein and CSH is a bit higher but still only around 9% and the volume typically fed will not make that much of a difference.

Chi496":1qlc9e1x said:
The reason you are seeing lack luster performance is you have a lack luster ration there. The protein in that ration is way low just ballparking it at maybe 10-11%. I personally have found that a CP of 12 to 13% is where i like my feeds. The energy is great just need more protein. As to adding more CSH or beet pulp for the individual I wouldn't worry about making it too "hot". Beet pulp is a whopping 1 to 3% protein and CSH is a bit higher but still only around 9% and the volume typically fed will not make that much of a difference.

Beet pulp and CS Hulls do not make a ration HOT. To the contrary they mellow it down and provide excellent digestible fiber as well as some protein.

Cut the CS Hulls 50 lbs. and increase the corn by 50 lbs. This will raise your protein just a bit as well as the energy content. Pour about a half cup of corn oil over the mix when you feed it. More energy. BTW what size are these calves??

Read all the other posts I never said that those 2 indgredints would heat that ration up although I will disagree with you about the addition of the corn oil.

Chi496":3v7p85dd said:
Read all the other posts I never said that those 2 indgredints would heat that ration up although I will disagree with you about the addition of the corn oil.
I didn't either, I said it was already good enough at 10-11%, I use to feed out steers at 9% all the way threw but high energy. :nod: :lol2: With your 12-13% you can still be under feeding, and not getting a good enough gain if your energy is to low.
So in this case we really need to know a little more about what age of animals, sex, and show date.

sim.-ang.king":2jixmdwa said:
Chi496":2jixmdwa said:
I didn't either, I said it was already good enough at 10-11%, I use to feed out steers at 9% all the way threw but high energy. :nod: :lol2: With your 12-13% you can still be under feeding, and not getting a good enough gain if your energy is to low.
So in this case we really need to know a little more about what age of animals, sex, and show date.

Sorry my bad you know it all, I forgot. I was just suggesting what has worked for me but what do I know.

Wasn't saying your's was wrong either but add more beet pulp, or cotton hulls are only going to waste more money. Sorry if I offended you, I just like to argue. :)
Really wish he/she would reply back and give us some more info.

sim.-ang.king":1p77x62m said:
Wasn't saying your's was wrong either but add more beet pulp, or cotton hulls are only going to waste more money. Sorry if I offended you, I just like to argue. :)
Really wish he/she would reply back and give us some more info.

Perhaps it was t he way you worded it. Made it sound as if you thought the CSH and beet pulp were adding energy to the diet. No offense taken, just wanted to make sure everyone was on the same page. As for arguing, it's a waste of time. The protein is adequate, the TDN is around 70...but it's too bulky right now which can limit intake and hay is cheaper roughage than either of the others and normally even higher in protein. Removing a few hulls will raise TDN as will adding the corn oil, increase intake and give better weight gain. And Weigh your feed....don't measure it by "bucket fulls".

Yea my wording was probably off, always get tired up. Guess I should of said is "the cotton hulls, and beet pulp isn't really needed, and you probably need to feed more of what you got".

Latest posts