rant about the weather

Help Support CattleToday:

GMN

Reaction score
I can't believe how such a promising year has turned into this, brown, dry and no grass anywhere! We haven't had rain in going on 4 weeks now, anything substantial, it makes me sick!
After the greengraze chopping is done, we will have to start feeding hay out if we don't get rain soon, and this heat, is never ending, now they say triple digits for a few days, when will it end?

GMN

GMN":1k3u14h9 said:
I can't believe how such a promising year has turned into this, brown, dry and no grass anywhere! We haven't had rain in going on 4 weeks now, anything substantial, it makes me sick!
After the greengraze chopping is done, we will have to start feeding hay out if we don't get rain soon, and this heat, is never ending, now they say triple digits for a few days, when will it end?

GMN
we went though what your going through now for 2yrs.you cant get rain.an we just now have it slowed down enough to bale hay.hope youll get rain soon.its hard when you have to start feeding hay early.

GMN":3c5o34ye said:

GMN

Same here, and theres no end in sight. Forecast for the next 10 days is sunny, 98-104 hi temps.

Been there and still there. Started in July and it just finally started cooling down this week. Forecast is for more heat later this week, but no triple digits. Red flag warning today.
Had one good t-storm last month other then that just one little hit and miss shower 0.05" out of that.
Get the pics done will have to post them.

We too feel your pains. WE too have had no rain, substantail in a while either. If it rains it dried before it hits the ground. It has not helped matters any that they are building a new road near us and the blasting stopped our springs. We had a couple that fed our pond and us as well. All are dry, we are hauling water everyother day for us as well as the cattle. We are 2 miles from water lines and we have to be able to prove it was their fault it stopped and not the drought. I remember the stream that was there before blasting and the day after the big blast it stopped. SOOOOO, it was definately not the drought, or else my neighbors would be out tooooooooo! We too cannot get hay so I am doing a lot of Praying!

Please pray for rain. We only have 17 head and 2 new calves but we can't afford to sell the main herd or else we just need to sell the farm.

Supposedly was 115 on the heat index today here. I spent the day in a hay field in an open cab tractor. Humidity is so bad the hay isn't drying like it should. Gonna repeat the process tomorrow too. Yipppeeeeee!!!!!

Jogeephus":35j0z3k8 said:
Supposedly was 115 on the heat index today here. I spent the day in a hay field in an open cab tractor. Humidity is so bad the hay isn't drying like it should. Gonna repeat the process tomorrow too. Yipppeeeeee!!!!!

Yesterday after milkiing, I decided to go out and fix some fence so I could put my heifer calves by the pond, where there still is some green grass, and was going along, sweating real bad, getting tired, and then I was finally done, cooled down with the hose, and felt real weird. I think I got a touch overheated, went in and relaxed a bit, is that how one feels when they get overheated, dizzy like?

GMN

GMN":1oyl1117 said:
Jogeephus":1oyl1117 said:

Yesterday after milkiing, I decided to go out and fix some fence so I could put my heifer calves by the pond, where there still is some green grass, and was going along, sweating real bad, getting tired, and then I was finally done, cooled down with the hose, and felt real weird. I think I got a touch overheated, went in and relaxed a bit, is that how one feels when they get overheated, dizzy like?

GMN
yes you got a touch overheated.when you get dizzy your overheating pretty good.you shouldve stopped every hour or so an soaked down with a hose.

We are having a excellent growing season. Plenty of rain and dry periods to make hay. Gonna be a banger of a corn crop. I don't know where they are going to store it. God has sure blessed us this year.

GMN":1vo3mq8y said:

GMN

Sounds more like your sugar got out of whack from sweating too much. As explained to me by my wife who is an RN, there are two things you need to be careful of. Heat stroke and your sugar getting out of whack from the heat and perspiration.

With heat stroke, you will quit sweating and will get cold shivers. You will also cramp and feel clammy. The other thing is your sugar level which can get out of whack by sweating too much. When this happens, you get dizzy, lose color and feel clammy but you will also sweat profusely.

Both of these are dangerous and can disable you in the field but both are readily prevented by staying hydrated and keeping some candy or something with you.

I was pushing myself today and was on an open cab tractor and the heat coupled with the heat from the motor almost got me.(bear caught is what we call it) I kept seeing dark clouds coming my way and kept thinking I'll fill up with some ice water on the next trip but kept delaying it until it got me. When I finally got to the water jug I was shivering cold and had quit sweeting completely. I felt like $hi7 and felt stifled. I sat in the shade and drank about a quart of water then hopped back on the firey beast.

The stupid thing about it, I knew it was getting to me. I had all the signs but just kept going. My wife gets on me about this. Says I'm hard headed and stubborn.

Jogeephus":2glw1r06 said:
GMN":2glw1r06 said:

GMN

Sounds more like your sugar got out of whack from sweating too much. As explained to me by my wife who is an RN, there are two things you need to be careful of. Heat stroke and your sugar getting out of whack from the heat and perspiration.

With heat stroke, you will quit sweating and will get cold shivers. You will also cramp and feel clammy. The other thing is your sugar level which can get out of whack by sweating too much. When this happens, you get dizzy, lose color and feel clammy but you will also sweat profusely.

Both of these are dangerous and can disable you in the field but both are readily prevented by staying hydrated and keeping some candy or something with you.

I was pushing myself today and was on an open cab tractor and the heat coupled with the heat from the motor almost got me.(bear caught is what we call it) I kept seeing dark clouds coming my way and kept thinking I'll fill up with some ice water on the next trip but kept delaying it until it got me. When I finally got to the water jug I was shivering cold and had quit sweeting completely. I felt like $hi7 and felt stifled. I sat in the shade and drank about a quart of water then hopped back on the firey beast.

The stupid thing about it, I knew it was getting to me. I had all the signs but just kept going. My wife gets on me about this. Says I'm hard headed and stubborn.

I know, I told myself just another 20minutes, get it done, I think it was just a mild case, jumping in the pool helps it out too. Tonite was a killer out there, just standing there made me sweat, even with 3 fans blowing, its just moving hot air around, its getting old and fast!

Thanks for the helpful info.

Gail

Boy you two, ya just make me want to kick you both in the back side. That heat stroke and heat exhaustion can be killers quicker then you think.
Treated a friend at a training exercise for heat exhaustion. We were literally making him drink water, as much as we felt safe for him. He was lucky we caught it in time.
Husband got heat stroke years ago and now when it gets this hot he can't stand it. He drinks water like crazy, but it still gets him.

In this heat everybody needs to take care out there. I for one do not want to read about your passing.
I may be coming across as a you know what, but it is because I'm one of the people that runs towards trouble not from it.

Weather here doesn't know what it wants to do-- Been running in the 100-105 range for days-- cool front and thunderstorm hit last night (10 drops of rain) temp dropped down to 49 during the night...Flat chilly this morning- had to put on my vest hauling hay...Don't think it ever got over 80 all day-- but they say we're right back up in the 90's and 100's again tomorrow.....

That 49 reminded me that cool days are not far away....

You need to drink Powerade, Gatorade or Pedialite also.

My husband and brother were putting in our sprinkler system(when we lived in the suburbs)one year. They were both drinking lots and lots of water. My brother was accustomed to working in the heat but my husband has an inside job. Well my husband ended up having to go to the hospital. The doctor said his electrolytes were messed up. From what we understood your body runs on electrolytes, like an electrical system and when you are low on them things misfire. Doctor said it could have affected his heart if he had gone much longer. My husband told the doctor that he had been drinking lots of water but the doctor said that was not enough need the Powerade type stuff.

You will be suprised how good Powerade makes you feel when you come in from working in the heat. It really does seem to put something back. I like to put it in the freezer for a little while until it gets slushy. Ahhh.

No I don't own stock. :)

Gate Opener":3b56ionh said:
You need to drink Powerade, Gatorade or Pedialite also.

My husband and brother were putting in our sprinkler system(when we lived in the suburbs)one year. They were both drinking lots and lots of water. My brother was accustomed to working in the heat but my husband has an inside job. Well my husband ended up having to go to the hospital. The doctor said his electrolytes were messed up. From what we understood your body runs on electrolytes, like an electrical system and when you are low on them things misfire. Doctor said it could have affected his heart if he had gone much longer. My husband told the doctor that he had been drinking lots of water but the doctor said that was not enough need the Powerade type stuff.

You will be suprised how good Powerade makes you feel when you come in from working in the heat. It really does seem to put something back. I like to put it in the freezer for a little while until it gets slushy. Ahhh.

No I don't own stock. :)
yuck, i hate gatorade. it makes my mouth all sticky. i love water. thats all i drink and never have had any problems.

the heat sucks here. its been around 100 for a while now but its supposed to "cool off"( mid 90's) for a few days and then once fair starts up its supposed to get hot again. :roll: the humidity is what's bad. but i do like summer better then winter.

TNMasterBeefProducer":276r5528 said:
Got 103 5x5 rolls of orchardgrass, wheat, clover, timothy, fescue, and vetch mixed hay. I have 12 acres of Sudex that is waist high, and I just purchased 50 more 4x5 bales of Pearl millet hay for pretty cheap. Life couldnt be better right now. I plan on turning the cattle out on the Sudex next week if the nitrogen test come back and arent to high to cause nitrate poisoning. Cattle have automatic ritchie waterers on city water at the farm so no problem with water there. Life is pretty good here in these parts. I hear its real bad for my middle and west Tennessee counterparts. Also, have plenty of minerals as I just ordered another 1,000 pounds. Again life is good. Sorry for you guys in West Tennessee and Middle Tennessee.

Now should like to part with some hay please let us in Middle TN! You know we realllllllllyyyyy neeeeedddd it! :(

cattleluvr18,
Did you ever read the series of Laura Ingalls Wilder? In one book they talked about ginger water. It had apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, ginger and salt in it. That works just as well as anything. It has all of the electrolites in it you need.
Pretty interesting stuff.

102-104 here. Beautiful sunny weather.
Was working outside yesterday morning and the sun feels good. Helps relax stiff muscles and joints. This is my kind of weather. :nod:
At least for a few minutes until the sweat begins to pour off. :help:

It really cooled off here. We had a nice rain Sat. nite, calling for 4 sunny days with high temps of 70 to 75 and lows around 50. You bet I cut some hay! Hope to finish 2nd cutting this week. :)

Latest posts