rant about the weather

Help Support CattleToday:

It was 114 yesterday afternoon. We expect the same today and tomorrow and on and on and on.

Our place is drying up fast, we did have a really good June and even July wasn't to bad, we have 550 bales in the barn plenty for the winter should have 150 left if the winter is not to bad. But everthing is getting really dry now, 5 days over 100 and its suppose to be 108 tomorrow and hasn't rained in almost 4 weeks . Getting pretty brown. We could cut another 100 bales but we are going to turn the cows in on it. If it don't rain we would have to feed it to them anyway. Might as well let them harvest it, lots easier.

The temperature on my front porch has been 103-108 degrees
for about the last 7 or 8 days and no relief in sight. Wells are
drying up that have never been dry. A lot of ponds are already
dry or going dry. we had a bad drought in 1980 but it wasn't
this bad. This is beginning to get critical. No rain in the forecast
for the next week except for just a slight chance. Even a lot of
the smaller creeks have dried up.

TNMasterBeefProducer":113vbny0 said:
Got 103 5x5 rolls of orchardgrass, wheat, clover, timothy, fescue, and vetch mixed hay. I have 12 acres of Sudex that is waist high, and I just purchased 50 more 4x5 bales of Pearl millet hay for pretty cheap. Life couldnt be better right now. I plan on turning the cattle out on the Sudex next week if the nitrogen test come back and arent to high to cause nitrate poisoning. Cattle have automatic ritchie waterers on city water at the farm so no problem with water there. Life is pretty good here in these parts. I hear its real bad for my middle and west Tennessee counterparts. Also, have plenty of minerals as I just ordered another 1,000 pounds. Again life is good. Sorry for you guys in West Tennessee and Middle Tennessee.

You're the sorriest example of a Tennessee Cattleman I've ever heard of. We're (not just me but 100's of us) in the worst shape for Pasture that we've been in for years and you sit there typing like you're some sort of egotistical S.O.B.Who gives a rats behind what you have or have ordered.?

In life, nobody cares what you have or dont have... It's how you live, and how you help others.

Nuff said.

Crowderfarms":2tadps2h said:
TNMasterBeefProducer":2tadps2h said:
Got 103 5x5 rolls of orchardgrass, wheat, clover, timothy, fescue, and vetch mixed hay. I have 12 acres of Sudex that is waist high, and I just purchased 50 more 4x5 bales of Pearl millet hay for pretty cheap. Life couldnt be better right now. I plan on turning the cattle out on the Sudex next week if the nitrogen test come back and arent to high to cause nitrate poisoning. Cattle have automatic ritchie waterers on city water at the farm so no problem with water there. Life is pretty good here in these parts. I hear its real bad for my middle and west Tennessee counterparts. Also, have plenty of minerals as I just ordered another 1,000 pounds. Again life is good. Sorry for you guys in West Tennessee and Middle Tennessee.

You're the sorriest example of a Tennessee Cattleman I've ever heard of. We're (not just me but 100's of us) in the worst shape for Pasture that we've been in for years and you sit there typing like you're some sort of egotistical S.O.B.Who gives a rats behind what you have or have ordered.?

In life, nobody cares what you have or dont have... It's how you live, and how you help others.

Nuff said.
easy crowder no need in getting your blood in a boil.some people just dont know what it is to go through droughts.ive been though a few droughts.an let me tell you its no fun.you tenn boys are hurting like we have for the last 2yrs.may God watch over you an your cattle.

you are making me sad, talking of sunny days and heat, our summer has been awful, rain and cold and more rain, and even more rain. I miss the sun. I need a holiday sitting in the sunshine, drinking cool pina coladas, heaven. I know if it is hydration you need, you need to drink water and a gluecose type drink every now and then.

GMN":27hn40vg said:
I can't believe how such a promising year has turned into this, brown, dry and no grass anywhere! We haven't had rain in going on 4 weeks now, anything substantial, it makes me sick!
After the greengraze chopping is done, we will have to start feeding hay out if we don't get rain soon, and this heat, is never ending, now they say triple digits for a few days, when will it end?

GMN

UPdate:

It rained here last night, 2.5 inches, so nice, and its amazing how much it has greened things up, plus the weather cooled down for most of the day, got muggy here again, and there is more rain in the forecast, really made my Friday!

Gail

GMN":2mlwg48h said:
GMN":2mlwg48h said:
I can't believe how such a promising year has turned into this, brown, dry and no grass anywhere! We haven't had rain in going on 4 weeks now, anything substantial, it makes me sick!
After the greengraze chopping is done, we will have to start feeding hay out if we don't get rain soon, and this heat, is never ending, now they say triple digits for a few days, when will it end?

GMN

UPdate:

It rained here last night, 2.5 inches, so nice, and its amazing how much it has greened things up, plus the weather cooled down for most of the day, got muggy here again, and there is more rain in the forecast, really made my Friday!

Gail

Its amazing what the rain can do in so little time. Lately I have been blessed with rain. 3 inches two weeks ago and the grass exploded. Ended up cutting every field at 25 days and it was knee deep. Have gotten showers for the last two afternoons. Am thinking of fertilzing again and going for another cutting but I'm afraid its beginning to cool down some and don't know if I can get another good cutting or not. It is weird though, I can drive 25 miles north or west and its a different story, the fields still look bad. Am also running 5 brood cows to the acre in one paddock and they can't even keep up with the growth. Gonna try to keep them on it as long as I can and try stockpiling the overgrowth on the other paddocks. I don't know if there is such a thing as compensatory growth in grasses but it sure appears there might be.

Latest posts