Rancher grazing his cows on my land- help!

Help Support CattleToday:

HSchiller

Reaction score
I live on 5 acres in the California foothills and for the last 15 years, a rancher has been dumping his heard of cows on my road every spring. The heard has caused tremendous damage to my gardens, landscaping, fencing and drainage systems through the years- destroyed an orchard and collapsed the sides of my driveway more than once. I've had it. This isn't free range. I've called animal control, county and state police and just keep getting the "our department doesn't handle it" run around. The rancher is part of a family of local hoodlums know to be into drugs and supposedly involved in some unsolved murders. Neighbors have complained to him in the past to no effect. I can't, and shouldn't have to, risk my family's safety by getting into a legal battle with a hoodlum.

I'm ready to shoot the entire herd and the SOB rancher too if I could get away with it. Does anyone here know what department DOES handle rogue ranchers in California? Any good cow poison recipes? Don't get me wrong, I care about being kind to animals so much that I'm a vegetarian, but if California is so busy enforcing crap laws like "wear your seatbelt" and "mow 100ft around every building" that it can't protect my home from a thug, it's time for some frontier justice. (...end rant) :deadhorse:

pardon me while I ponder this over...... how bout some more information.

1) how many cows are there?
2) are they all adult cows or is their juveniles?
3) what color are they?
4) are there only females or is there female and male cows?
5) what kind of fencing do you have?
6) what keeps the cows confined to the area?
7) do you have to open any gates to get to your house?
8.) what zip code do you live in?
9) have you tried using a fagle?

HSchiller":1xkdn3t5 said:
I'm ready to shoot the entire herd and the SOB rancher too if I could get away with it. Does anyone here know what department DOES handle rogue ranchers in California? Any good cow poison recipes? Don't get me wrong, I care about being kind to animals so much that I'm a vegetarian, but if California is so busy enforcing crap laws like "wear your seatbelt" and "mow 100ft around every building" that it can't protect my home from a thug, it's time for some frontier justice. (...end rant) :deadhorse:

You just figured out now California is messed up? :tiphat:

build a better fence.

Sounds like your estancia is in the middle of what he has always considered his summer range.

TennesseeTuxedo":2ynqjqlq said:
This post is a hoax.

LOL - Hoax? You are quite likely right.

Be that as it may - if you are wrong and it is true - it seems to me that a simple electric fence - cheap and effective - would have saved thousands in damage.

City attitudes in the country - never seems to go away.

You folks have California and its idiots - I suffer with the Ontario "entitled" syndrome here all the time. Not too much difference.

No sympathy from me - put the fence up and kwitchyerbichin

Best to all

Bez

a hotwire really does nothing.we are using a hotwire now an we keep it up.an our cows go through or over it when they want.

bigbull338":1t1sfqve said:
a hotwire really does nothing.we are using a hotwire now an we keep it up.an our cows go through or over it when they want.
sounds like you need to turn the heat up. it aint hot enough... ive had mine for 20 years, and it will still make sparks shoot from your zipper :cowboy:

Maybe you need more ground rods or water the one(s) you have. Hot wire should knock them on their butt.

A red hot fence will get the herds attention, a lot of my pastures are just two strands of hot, nothing else. It's red hot, cows respect it and if I make a mistake it shakes my bones. :shock:

This has been going on for 15 years and NOW you complain? He77 ya'll could have got together, buried the hatchett or something and had a family by now and there wouldn't even be a squabble. Half the cattle would be yours. :cowboy:

Commercialfarmer:
The number of cows has varied each year. Usually 5-10, but this year there are 15-20.
The cows are mostly juveniles.
This year, they are black and brownish-orange
I don't know if there are steers/young males in the herd, but no bulls.
I have 4-strand barbwire with t-posts. They go right through it.
A cattle guard about a mile from my house and other people's fencing is all I know of that keeps his cows confined.
My road is a county maintained road (not an easement road) and no gates are on it.
I'd rather not say my zip code because his family is quite well known in my area. Central California.
Sorry, I'm not sure what a faggle is. Is it a hot-wire?

3waycross: I might have to build a better fence. I don't have high income so the price involved is a bit daunting. I tried building better fences around my gardens- they tore it to shreds.

TennesseeTuxedo: Not sure why someone would why someone would waste time posting a hoax on a cattle forum, but I am serious.

snake67: I assure you, I'm far from a city person. I'm two generations born and bred in the mountains and I respect ranchers who are trying to make an honest living. There are two other cattle ranchers nearby and their cows get out every now and then, but they pick them up if you call. I love the natural world, but there's nothing natural about a herd of livestock stomping across my property. I'm trying to get as close as self-sustaining as I can on my little piece of land; I have enough trouble fighting back the squirrels and gopher that God put here, I shouldn't have to fight off cows that someone dumps here just so they can to make an easy buck. The cattle ranchers I know shoot dogs who wander onto their land regularly, why am I a whiny "city person" if I expect them to keep their animals off my land? I tried hotwire around a patch of trees I planted on year; they tore it down and ate the trees.

ALACOWMAN: Maybe I need to get a better brand of hotwire box or a better ground setup? Can you (or anyone) recommend a model that most likely WILL work for a 5 acre stretch. Like I said earlier, I don't have a high income so I have to make sure to spend effectively. The box I tried in the past was from a ramch-supply store and they tore through it within two days. Aslo, part of the problem with hotwire for the whole property is that the fence line is not especially close to electric (~100ft away).

TexasBred: Ha :) I've actually been complaining for about 12 years. I'm all for buried hatchets, but considering he won't ever return my friendly wave when we pass each other on the road, I doubt that's likely to happen. The father is supposedly into marijuana farming and the son into making meth so other than common courtesy, I'd rather steer clear my self.

Since you already have a 4 strand barbwire fence then you should be able to add 2 strands od electric wire.
These type insulators are made for t-post, wood post, and several other options.
There are several 110v fence chargers that will do the job.
I like the a100li by zareba, the one I have now is a range master, both are overkill but it will turn cattle back when INSTALLED PROPERLY.
read the directions that come with the charger.

Permanent-Electric-Fencing-Guide-1_zps15e62cd9.jpg

Sounds like you're neighbor runs stockers. It's nearly impossible to keep them in. Four strands is not much to midweight cattle that are used to crawling around in the brush. Especially this time of year when they're shedding... They can't even feel the barb.
Build a nice tight fence around your place with five strands and send your neighbor a bill for half of the cost including your labor at $10 per hour. That's how it's done on freindly terms here all the time so there's no reason not to try it when there's a problem... be really patient, sometimes stuff like that gets paid when he gets paid for the stockers.
In a rancher's mind, fences belong to BOTH neighbors so if you have a specific problem he might not even know about it if you haven't said anything and may well expect you to fix it yourself since it's half yours. When I look at fence I want to see some functioning wire and if it's there then there's no problem in my mind but if a neighbor(especially a non ranching neighbor) has a problem and I am made aware of it I'm on it and it will get fixed.
If you really want to have someone handle it for you, call the brand inspector. They aren't much help but they pester everyone until fences start getting fixed. :D

HSchiller":3n4ljzah said:
Commercialfarmer:

snake67: I assure you, I'm far from a city person. I'm two generations born and bred in the mountains and I respect ranchers who are trying to make an honest living. There are two other cattle ranchers nearby and their cows get out every now and then, but they pick them up if you call. I love the natural world, but there's nothing natural about a herd of livestock stomping across my property. I'm trying to get as close as self-sustaining as I can on my little piece of land; I have enough trouble fighting back the squirrels and gopher that God put here, I shouldn't have to fight off cows that someone dumps here just so they can to make an easy buck. The cattle ranchers I know shoot dogs who wander onto their land regularly, why am I a whiny "city person" if I expect them to keep their animals off my land? I tried hotwire around a patch of trees I planted on year; they tore it down and ate the trees.

All right smart guy / gal - with all that time in the hills you sure did not learn much.

I never called you a whiny city person - but come to think of it, you are beginning to sound like one.

You want something that works - if you did any research at all you would have discovered a few things - but I will do your thinking for you and you can do the work - if you are not afraid of pinkie blisters.

So ......

Get some fence posts - T-posts, re-bar, wood posts or plastic step in posts - I do not care. Sink them in the ground about one foot outside your existing fence line on 15 foot spacing to 20 foot spacing - you can go more but not for this one - this fence needs to be fairly push proof.

Get the appropriate insulators for those fence posts.

Find enough wire to make three strands - all hot - you can go 5 which is better in my opinion but probably not required. Bottom strand 24 inches off the ground for three strand - lower if more strands but no lower than 12 inches - does not have to be exact as the cows do not carry a measuring tape. Space the next two UP at 12 inch intervals - reduce spacing to 10 inches if going 5 strand. Find yourself some decent 10 - 12 guage wire - personally we use both gauges and we use hi-tensile wire.

Bet you a buck no one complains at you getting an extra foot of land either. If they do tell them to pizz off or bring out their lawyer. By then the animals will be trained and you can just roll up the fence - but I digress, my time is valuable and you need some schooling.

If you get really dry in the summer run a couple of ground wires on the fence posts along the fence line between the hot wires and hook them directly to your ground rods. Lack of moisture can prevent a decent shock. You have taken the need for moisture away by putting a ground on the fence itself - they touch any two wires and they get hit.

Put the insulators and the wire on the OUTSIDE of the posts - facing the cattle.

Find yourself 5 - yes 5 - 6-8 foot long 3/4 inch diametre galvanized rods. Sink them all the way into the ground at 10 - 15 foot spacing and hook them all together with the appropriate hardware and one continuous run of wire - your farm store will have the rigs - all you have to do is ask - you have a sumbitchin ground now - do not cheap out on this - it is vital to have a good ground.

Find a fencer - I do not give a damm how many miles it can do - that is nothing more than hype - get one with as many JOULES as you can find. Red Snapper makes a good one and so do a bunch of others - you do not need to go Cadillac and spend for Gallagher prices - unless you have more money than you care about - but Gallagher do make good ones although over priced in my mind.

Low for low impedence, look for heavy brush capability.

Put the dammed thing up.

Every 40 feet hang two aluminum pie plates from one of the top wires - use wire to do this. Spray those pie plates with lots of sugar syrup.

Turn the frigging power on and let them come to look at the plates - they will lick the dammed plates.

You will see them get zapped - you are now training them to respect an electric fence.

We run miles - literally miles of this stuff over rocks, through heavy brush, through swamps and over dry sand. I guarantee you the cattle you are dealing with are no wilder than some of the cattle we have on the grazing permits.

Anyone says an electric fence does not work, does not understand electric fences and cow training or has not constructed the fence correctly.

I have now solved your problem - if it takes you another 15 years to build it you can say categorically that you learned nothing in the first 15 years you lived there other than to complain and NOT solve your troubles.

Now kwitchyerbichin, build it and be happy

Point to remember - true country folk tend to solver their own problems - quietly and successfully.

If I was the guy running the cows and you sent me a bill - with the relationship you obviously have at present - I would use it for wiping my butt and send it back - so do not give him the pleasure. In fact do not even talk to him - this is YOUR problem - like it or not - and you might as well solve it.

When it is done and it is working you can come back and say thanks. Be sure to take down that ugly barbed wire fence once this is going - those fences only work when done properly - and it sounds like yours is not done properly - otherwise it should stop a bull moose.

Best to all

Bez

Latest posts