Ranch Management Task Likes and Dislikes

Help Support CattleToday:

I do not like updating the ledger every month. Better than waiting two months though, so it get's done.

I like working the cattle, like knowing all are up to date on deworming and vaccinations.
I like making hay. Disc mowers, V rakes and round balers make short order of a hay field. Dreaded the olden days when all we had were haybines, cycle mowers, a side delivery rake and square bales. Took forever from cutting until the hay was in the barns.
My least favorite farm work is hauling round bales home. All our hay is made on leased land now. It is still easer to haul 20 rolls at a time than to stack and unstack 200 square bales at a time.

Jake":1aa1r7zt said:
greybeard":1aa1r7zt said:
I hate trees and everything involved with them, fencing around them, cutting them off fences, picking their limbs off fences, pulling them out of the pond or off the road--They obscure the view, acidify the soil, drop limbs and trunks across the powerlines--------------they're the devil's own spawn.

I like spraying weeds and..... killing trees.

I need a "like" button for this one. I wish every tree on our place was burned up.

Not that many years ago there were no trees where you are. Gov't provided trees to plant.

I have several. Close at #2 is that everything is always broke. If I ain't fixing something, I'm sleeping. It gets old. Affording used, worn-out junk sucks. #1 is the paper trail of everything from fuel purchases to how many time a day I sit on the can for the freakin' government. I try my best to have a receipt and explanation for every single item on my schedule F for taxes and it drive me nuckin' futs. If I ever get audited, I want to be ready and win with flying colors. Them fruit cakes that makes these laws and crap that expect us to feed them while they micro-manage our money makes me want to stomp kittens. [/rant]

I love my trees. Only problem is oak wilt is killing them fast. Of course they fall on the fence. I absolutely hate, hate,hate Yaupon Hollies. Love watching the blue birds and gkids thrilled when they catch a fish or catch a fire fly.

greybeard":62ppt5v8 said:
I hate trees and everything involved with them, fencing around them, cutting them off fences, picking their limbs off fences, pulling them out of the pond or off the road--They obscure the view, acidify the soil, drop limbs and trunks across the powerlines--------------they're the devil's own spawn.

GB, a quote from a blue eyed blonde neighbor of mine from years ago, "Trees are our friends". Still scratching my head over that.

Gotta love that pine tree sap that rains down a couple of times per year. It's fun trying to get it off a windshield. Azaleas like a an acid soil GB, grow Azaleas!

D2Cat":uddkqpbo said:
Jake":uddkqpbo said:
greybeard":uddkqpbo said:

I need a "like" button for this one. I wish every tree on our place was burned up.

Not that many years ago there were no trees where you are. Gov't provided trees to plant.

And people stopped burning helped the spread of the cedars. My brother and I have talked about writing something about how the prairie has been destroyed. It is atrocious to see the invasive forest grow across what was once beautiful open prairie.

Like: Calving season. As stressful as it can be there isn't much that's more rewarding than seeing that little calf get up and try to figure everything out for the first time.
Dislike: Fencing. We built all of our pens and lots out of railroad ties every 8 feet and 4 2x6s high. And a lot of those were hung with pole barn nails. Between filling in post holes to get them solid and pounding in nails it wasn't very much fun.

Hate:
That heifer that kicks the milker off time and time again.
Taxes... actually the government as a whole.
Cattle getting out.
Field work excluding forages.

Love:
Seeing a new calf hit the ground.
Working the cattle for vaccinating and implanting.
Hanging out at the sale barn and hauling cattle.
Putting up hay and silage.

Latest posts