Ranch Management Task Likes and Dislikes

Help Support CattleToday:

dirk4843

Reaction score
In the daily ins and outs of managing livestock, forage production, and feed production, what are some task that are dreaded or disliked. On the business management side of ranching what are the likes and dislikes of running a ranch or livestock operation?

Does this question only apply to ranchers or can farmers answer too? :banana:

Ill answer anyways. I like all of it. Its almost like its not even work to me. Maybe cause im not big enough for it to feel like work.

I enjoy working with the cattle, and don't mind fence work as long as the weather is decent. Don't much care for anything to do with tractors.

I hate anything indoors. I don't do paper work, thank God for wife. I rather dig a hole than count beans any day. It's a bit hypocritical of me to be typing on this forum. A search for knowledge on cattle has pulled me from the stone age.

I love long days horseback dealing with a few head or working calves with my wife and kids right there working with me. I love going up in the truck to see how things are going and showing my kids the nature on our ranch and teaching them about it. I even like fence work okay.
I guess there really isn't much about how I run cows that I dislike but I farm as well and if equipment was involved in how I run cows that would be an absolute dislike as even perfectly running equipment is only barely tolerable and even minor maintenance makes me want to go kill a squirrel or gopher just to get my rage out of my system.

cow pollinater":lbojmm46 said:
I love long days horseback dealing with a few head or working calves with my wife and kids right there working with me. I love going up in the truck to see how things are going and showing my kids the nature on our ranch and teaching them about it. I even like fence work okay.
I guess there really isn't much about how I run cows that I dislike but I farm as well and if equipment was involved in how I run cows that would be an absolute dislike as even perfectly running equipment is only barely tolerable and even minor maintenance makes me want to go kill a squirrel or gopher just to get my rage out of my system.

Horses are evil beasts which will kill you and your entire family if they can figure out the way to open the door. :hide: I say a small prayer every night for Henry Ford and another for John Deere. :nod:

john250":2om96qph said:
cow pollinater":2om96qph said:

Horses are evil beasts which will kill you and your entire family if they can figure out the way to open the door. :hide: I say a small prayer every night for Henry Ford and another for John Deere. :nod:
I say equipment is worse. 100 horse power=100 times the problems.

john250":3i0s4n7d said:
cow pollinater":3i0s4n7d said:

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: Ever watch them eye-balling you when you unlatch the gate. They are studying you and its works and surely wishing they had thumbs.

I dislike REBUILDING fences.. so much work and it looks pretty much the same when you're done.. especially barbed wire. I'm slowly changing over to high tensile, needs better anchors, but so much easier to keep tight and electrify as well.
Irrigation is one of the necessary evils around here... spend 2-3 hours a day walking back and forth, there are things I'd rather do, but it's not too bad.

I like anything to do with cows.. OK, reaching in for retained placenta and backwards calves isn't pleasurable, but it's not frequent either... and I think everyone will agree there's no better sight or feeling than when that newborn calf shakes the goop out of his floppy wet ears and wrinkles his nose!

I don't mind working on or with equipment, I'm pretty good at it as well, and I always like making stuff work better than the engineers who never had to use it did.. Stacker wagons, etc. Recently I've picked up chainsaw rebuilding and tuning, Next on my list of things to make (with a friend) is a alaskan mill.

I LOATHE PAPERWORK!

Hate:
Running a chainsaw
Anything involving mud

Like:
Checking cows
Cutting hay

john250":qn8wxprr said:
cow pollinater":qn8wxprr said:

Horses are far more honest than people

Jogeephus":3lvoik15 said:

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: Ever watch them eye-balling you when you unlatch the gate. They are studying you and its works and surely wishing they had thumbs.[/quote]

OK Sky Jrs scared of a poor lil old horse

One thing I hate more than anything is losing a critter. I could not work on the kill floor of a slaughter house. I've dedicated my whole life to taking care of them. On the other side there is nothing better than a good horse under me and quietly riding through the herd. Mel

I LOVE fencing. If I wasn't ranching, I would invest in a heck of good fencing setup complete with tracked skidteer, small track hoe, dually one ton and dually 30' two axle flatdeck and make my living building fences for people.

I hate any and all fieldwork. Cutting/baling/raking and especially hate working ground.

In order of least favorite...

Pulling up old fence
Messing with net wrap bales
Shredding with out a cab

I'm good with every thing else but painting and heights.

On management side...
Dealing with idiots, liars, or lazy people
Buying cattle

Latest posts