Ranch Hand bumpers and running boards.

Help Support CattleToday:

highgrit

Reaction score
I bought a pair of Ranch Hand running boards for my truck. I'm not happy at all with the quality, and some of the bolts and washers were missing also. I've really liked their Legend series bumpers, but one did need to be repainted. I'm done with Ranch Hand, it's hard to believe a company that was built by making heavy-duty bumpers, will sell such crap.

I've got a ranch hand bumper/grill guard and couldn't be happier with it, but it's the only ranch hand product I've had. Sorry to hear yours aren't working out.

I had a ranch hand bumper on one of my trucks and the paint peeled off in just a few years. The metal was rusted and the paint peeled off in large pieces made it look like crap. I put a top gun bumper on my new truck I have now and so far it has held up very good and is build good but i think they have already went out of business.

How do you think these open ends are going to work out? And there built out of tubing, not sch 40 pipe like their bumpers. I had the power coat come off my 06 bumper. But it was heavily built and of good quality. I don't mind spending money on quality, these running boards are far from that.

I've called and complained, but it didn't sink in. They wanted me to return them if I wasn't happy. I told them I'm good with them and going to keep them. Just disappointed in the quality, it's not what I expected from Ranch Hand. I refused money off my next purchase, and some other things. I was just trying to help and didn't want something for nothing.

next time you need one go with a body guard. they are way better made and way more heavy duty than a ranch hand and cost about the same. Just picked up our 3rd one, I wont put anything else on my trucks.

truck_fron.JPG

highgrit":bb72flen said:
I bought a pair of Ranch Hand running boards for my truck. I'm not happy at all with the quality, and some of the bolts and washers were missing also. I've really liked their Legend series bumpers, but one did need to be repainted. I'm done with Ranch Hand, it's hard to believe a company that was built by making heavy-duty bumpers, will sell such crap.

highgrit, they suck now ..just plain and simple. I have their product on my 2013 F-250, mainly out of loyalty I guess. I remember going to their home shop in George West, Tx to buy stuff 15-20 yrs ago. Thats when it was real pipe used.
Let me ask this though....who else uses real pipe anymore? Non that I can find.

the bumper on my truck in the picture is all 2in pipe and larger. It's a heavy sucker, makes the ranch hand on my uncles truck look like tin foil.

gimpyrancher":qtzvvys9 said:
Interesting, I have a ranch hand bumper and there isn't any paint on it. Mine is powder coated.

I got one just like you describe. Built heavy and tough and powder coated. Saved my front end from hitting a deer head on at about 55MPH. Just left some hair!

highgrit":36r2koqd said:
-they're black--like Angus--that's all that matters.

(Never found any functional use for those running boards anyway except getting the back side of my Sunday pant legs muddy when I stepped out of the truck)

I couldn't justify spending the kind of money they want for a bumper for my truck.. I resorted to designing my own, I picked up a sheet of 3/16" 5252 H32 grade aluminum sheet ($200) and know of a guy with a CNC plasma cutter to cut the pattern out of it, then it's a matter of folding it up and welding it. All in all I think it'll cost me $500 and I'll have a pretty strong aluminum bumper.

I find a lot of these bumpers would be OK, but the mounts for them are garbage.. the heaviest bumper in the world isn't going to do you any good if the mounting isn't strong enough so it doesn't collapse into your truck.

I actually got enough material I can build another one if I have someone who likes it and waves some cash in my face.. perhaps I'll sell the one off my truck and build an even better one

Here's a screenshot of it in autocad

The main reason I put running boards on my truck is so my Dad can it in without help. We like to go out for Dairy Queen and my RAM is the only truck that can tote all 6 or 7 of us together.