Ran over my dog

Help Support CattleToday:

plumber_greg

Reaction score
My golden retriver was 14, deaf, no teeth, half blind and is now dead. Backed out of the garage yesterday morn and ran over her. Had to shoot her, she couldn't walk. Dang it. I probably gave away 8 litters of puppies to kids all over my working area. Never charged any of them the $250 the reg puppies were worth, it was worth it to hear the kids when their puppy showed up. The male disappered several years ago.
So that parts over, time to move on. I want to buy a trained border collie to work cattle. I don't have and won't take the time to train a puppy. I know it will cost some money to train a dog and me. Has anyone ever done this?? Will it work, or will I just spend a lot of money? I would even travel to find one that I want. Any suggestions would be nice, (not a banned word would really be nice, that one isn't either, just trying to say be nice, aw I give up). gs

Sorry about your dog Greg. I ran over a friends dog a couple of years ago almost the same circumstances. Old,deaf, etc. It really sucks!

Having recently lost one of those blind, deaf, feeble, good old dogs, I feel your loss. Terrible it happened the way it did, though, Greg. Hope you find the perfect new companion and co-worker.

sorry about the dog greg.

on the trained border collie, what exactly are you wanting in the dog ?
i've never bought a trained or started dog but i have some experience with cow bred border collies.
if you are needing one for a "job" then they need pretty steady work to perform consistently and to your expectations and a good one will cost plenty.
if your just wanting a dog to help gather and move cattle occasionally in small pastures then i'd save my money and buy started dog from someone that would help you finish him to your needs.

Isn't most border collies more hyperactive than most cattledogs? I was thinking to use a border collie stud to breeding my red heeler, but after do some research on them I'm not sure.

I have had heelers, kelpies and border collies... I loved every one of them... I have been using Hangin Tree Cowdogs the last few years and really like them. They are tougher than bc and will work all day long. There's a lady in MO that raises them and sells trained or started dogs.. Look her up....

http://tammyscowdogs.com/

Sorry about your dog Greg and the circumstances. That would be tough! I hope you find a good fit for you in the next one. Those Labs are hard to beat for the friends they become. Mine is sure happy to see me when I get to go home!!!

I can't help you with information but just wanted to say I am really sorry to hear about your dog. It must have been hard for you, glad you had a lot of good years together though.

Thanks everyone, looks like to get a border collie that's trained or started I got to get on a waiting list for the good ones. Talked to a couple of people and it looks like $3000 will buy one trained. Thinking about a started one. Seems "started" can mean different things to different people.
I want a buddy that can help as much as anything, ole' Zoe would just ride on my four wheeler, jump in the water or mud and get back on. Havin' some eye trouble right now and wish I had a dog to help round up the calves and get them to the chute. Gonna' be in the 90s today, so gonna' get them up early this morn and work them all.
Changing the subject a little, but how can one bunch of 27, just across the electric fence from another bunch of 34, have 10 cows and 10 calves with eye trouble, while the bunch of 34 have none. It all started last weekend, and is still in only the one bunch. Guess that is the way it goes. gs

I am very sorry about your dog.

Have you looked into a Border Collie rescue group? Hopefully, you may find a dog that route.

plumber_greg":22jno42v said:
Thanks everyone, looks like to get a border collie that's trained or started I got to get on a waiting list for the good ones. Talked to a couple of people and it looks like $3000 will buy one trained. Thinking about a started one. Seems "started" can mean different things to different people.
I want a buddy that can help as much as anything, ole' Zoe would just ride on my four wheeler, jump in the water or mud and get back on. Havin' some eye trouble right now and wish I had a dog to help round up the calves and get them to the chute. Gonna' be in the 90s today, so gonna' get them up early this morn and work them all.
Changing the subject a little, but how can one bunch of 27, just across the electric fence from another bunch of 34, have 10 cows and 10 calves with eye trouble, while the bunch of 34 have none. It all started last weekend, and is still in only the one bunch. Guess that is the way it goes. gs

Sorry about your dog. I had a lot of good dogs.

Move that 27 off that pasture and give it some months off. This heat might be good or bad, but you gota think it is infected.

Latest posts