Rain

Help Support CattleToday:

Got hammered yesterday evening again. Several inches in an hour with wind and hail. Looks like a hurricane went through town. Lots of trees down and you can see where the water was running every where.

I was out of town but my parents sent this pic of them driving through the pasture to go check a water gap.

water1_zpspbzc2iju.jpeg

Jogeephus":3oh1900r said:
Vett, I'm glad the worm finally turned for you and you finally have rain. I felt for you, I really did and for someone as heartless as myself that is saying a lot.
Jogee....I guess I needed it....made me rethink my where my life was going and gave me the opportunity to choose a different direction.....and Jogee....No way do I believe you are heartless. We can dig up countless post that prove otherwise....

Brute 23":nphhi3d7 said:
Got hammered yesterday evening again. Several inches in an hour with wind and hail. Looks like a hurricane went through town. Lots of trees down and you can see where the water was running every where.

I was out of town but my parents sent this pic of them driving through the pasture to go check a water gap.

water1_zpspbzc2iju.jpeg

Brute I went and bought a new Mule FWD and it is so wet here it won't climb the hill in the east pasture.
Unbelievable I did finally drive to the back pasture for the first time in months in FWD low range
got the hill in that pasture sprayed. Man talk about slow with a boomless sprayer I am used to going in there
with the tractor tank and spraying.
Never seen anything like it when you start sinking down to the frame and are high centered doesn't
matter what you are in. My hay field may get leased to duck hunters this year.
So today's agenda back to the shop and build a swinging tailgate for my cattle chute.

James T":25cthiy5 said:
4.5" since last Thursday. Nice out yesterday and today but 80% of rain tomorrow. Getting tired of working in the barn. The silver lining is that the Bermuda grass got off to a good start this year.
True...now I wonder when the grasshoppers will make their appearance?? Praying they will miss us this year.

TexasBred":3mjngkj5 said:
James T":3mjngkj5 said:
4.5" since last Thursday. Nice out yesterday and today but 80% of rain tomorrow. Getting tired of working in the barn. The silver lining is that the Bermuda grass got off to a good start this year.
True...now I wonder when the grasshoppers will make their appearance?? Praying they will miss us this year.

Good possibility the grass hopper eggs rotted because of the wet weather and there will not be hardly any.

I've got 6 acres of rye grass that's waist high . I need to get it bailed because there's no way the Bermuda can sprout with it being covered . I have 4 heifers and a bull on it . The heifers have been on it since November . But it will take 4 days to dry . I guess I'll burn it when it dies out .

Caustic Burno":1tca5hx9 said:
Brute 23":1tca5hx9 said:

Brute I went and bought a new Mule FWD and it is so wet here it won't climb the hill in the east pasture.
Unbelievable I did finally drive to the back pasture for the first time in months in FWD low range
got the hill in that pasture sprayed. Man talk about slow with a boomless sprayer I am used to going in there
with the tractor tank and spraying.
Never seen anything like it when you start sinking down to the frame and are high centered doesn't
matter what you are in. My hay field may get leased to duck hunters this year.
So today's agenda back to the shop and build a swinging tailgate for my cattle chute.

A stock 4wd Mule is not that much of an improvement. The tires suck for flats and traction plus there is not much ground clearance.

This is what my parents were in. Its a completely different machine with some new tires and leveling the front. You will be amazed how much smoother the ride is and where you can go.

20140920_113642-1-1_zpsmgfwa5nm.jpg

We just got another 1.6 inches in about 45 minutes unless you have a hover craft of some
other vehicle rated for quicksand none are worth a piece of dried up monkey shyt here.
Got my cattle stop gate built in about 45 minutes I guess it will be about August before I can
weld it in without the threat of electrocution.

we got about 1.5 in of rain today.you could hear the ground squishing as the cows walked.

Less than 1/10" in the last 24 hrs and I sure hope that holds true this time tomorrow as well. I'm loading a bull in the morning if I have to pull a 2 ton and GN thru the yard to the pen with a tractor.

greybeard":2218gama said:
Less than 1/10" in the last 24 hrs and I sure hope that holds true this time tomorrow as well. I'm loading a bull in the morning if I have to pull a 2 ton and GN thru the yard to the pen with a tractor.

If you don't have him in the trailer or at the barn you better be good at dodging bolts .
About as many of them as rain right now.

TexasBred":1ua6rzlr said:
James T":1ua6rzlr said:

I was just thinking about those grasshoppers yesterday. The last 2 years have been bad enough to use the windshield wipers to sling them off the truck when driving up to the hard top. Put in a Purple Martin house but the grasshoppers get almost as big as the birds. We'll see.

An inch of rain yesterday morning and the forecast was for a completely clear day today. Woke up to thunder and lighting at 5 am this morning. Got another 1/2 inch.

Bought a heifer at the Beefmaster sale today and had to use the tractor to move the cattle trailer through all the mud. to get her into the corral. One big mess.

We got hammered yesterday. Soggy dirt + high winds ------> lots of damage Oh well, it will be there waiting on Monday .....and the day after. :bang:

Jogeephus":g4d7artr said:
We got hammered yesterday. Soggy dirt + high winds ------> lots of damage Oh well, it will be there waiting on Monday .....and the day after. :bang:

If it keeps it up here I am going to have to plant salt grass.
My duties have become driveway maintenance followed by more of the same.
As wet as this ground is we get hit by an early tropical storm half the trees in this part
of the world will be down.

It was bad here for about a hour . Seems to have blew through. Looks like it's alot wider up your way Cb . Hope everyone is ok .

Latest posts