Rain

Help Support CattleToday:

...............Well what can I say......

......I'm loving it.......raining just about like it needs to in my desert......Got about an inch the past couple days and I'm not having a problem with a little sprinkle every 3-4 days since baling hay, fertilizing, or planting something isn't on my mind at all. I guess I should be thinking about spraying weeds. I did the yard Wednesday morning....they be looking sickly. :nod: :lol2:

I'm not complaining because I know how fast it can dry up . The slough at the farm has washed the road out . So I guess that's another project for me. The cows are looking better because of the new grass . But I have about 10 big projects I need to get done this year . I was hoping to get most of it knocked out before it gets hot. I started rebuilding my disc about 2 weeks ago but I get rained out just about every time I start working on it . I have 40 acres to disc and plant . The rye grass and clover is 2 ft tall in the hay field . But it will be 2 months before I can bale it . Ill probably lose both to the heat and have a late hay crop this year . But like I said I'll take it over no grass or water like we had a few years back. Average rain fall is 55 inches a year . During the last drought I got 11 inches for the year .

our pastures are wet.took some people to look at some calves yesterday and had to put the truck in 4wd drive.even in 4wd drive we watched where we went.i hope we dry up some in the next 2weeks.

Plus side is we have been patching fence and driving t-posts has been easy. Couple hits with the hammer and you are good.

We found several spots as we were building that you could just step and go to your shin. :shock: Good way to loose a boot.

Brute 23":1iu7vdzs said:
Plus side is we have been patching fence and driving t-posts has been easy. Couple hits with the hammer and you are good.

We found several spots as we were building that you could just step and go to your shin. :shock: Good way to loose a boot.

I agree on that being good the bad had to brace some gate post that had been fine for
thirty years. The ground is so soft just opening and closing the gate the weight moves the post.

Caustic Burno":2brnos2v said:
Brute 23":2brnos2v said:

I agree on that being good the bad had to brace some gate post that had been fine for
thirty years. The ground is so soft just opening and closing the gate the weight moves the post.

Is what the old folks called getting a season in the ground

Expensive road but sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and keep going. Too many depend on my working to not.

11150328_1440014972963064_8669472972358428729_n.jpg

Jogeephus":92au8lzd said:
lmbrsn":92au8lzd said:
Send some of it to Calif.

I would if I could.

Me two tried to spray the east pasture this morning tractor won't even pull the hill
without spinning and making ruts.
Back to fence work on the mule.
I would go fishing but the bays are so fresh you would have to get in the Gulf to find a trout.

4.5" since last Thursday. Nice out yesterday and today but 80% of rain tomorrow. Getting tired of working in the barn. The silver lining is that the Bermuda grass got off to a good start this year.

James T":3drchd3q said:
4.5" since last Thursday. Nice out yesterday and today but 80% of rain tomorrow. Getting tired of working in the barn. The silver lining is that the Bermuda grass got off to a good start this year.

I have sat and reloaded that I have to reorder supplies to kill time.

Just looked at the forecast rain five out of seven days this is almost Biblical.
I am so far behind I will never catch up. Ordered a spray boom for the tank that goes
in the Mule bed as it is the only way to get in some pastures.
The rain doesn't bother me just never seen the soil like this for months and is presenting
some unique operating challenges.
In all the years here I have never locked cows out of a pasture for fear of them getting stuck
and no way to get to them. It is almost quicksand.

Same forecast here. Moved my cattle out of front pasture due to standing water and boggy conditions. Last thing I need is for hoof rot to show up.

I recall as a teenager my Dad and brother trying to get a stuck cow out of the mud near a creek bed. That cow ended up dying there.

I was out yesterday fixing and changing out electric fence wire. Had leg cramps last night from walking through the knee to waste high grass. I haven't had grass like this for years......I stopped feeding hay in February....last time I rotated pasture was late March and they aren't keeping up. I could use those other 60 cows I used to have.....at least for a month or so. Instinct would tell me to grease up the haybine.....but tripping over 16 inch high fireant mounds doesn't make that appealing.....besides it just isn't haybaling weather. If I needed the hay I would probably try. Unless I find someone wanting to bale on share I guess I'm going to rotate em and run a shredder over whats left. I'm afraid if I don't I run a risk of hurting the warm season grasses.

Haven't had to operate in these conditions for so long I feel stupid. :lol: Well for sure it's made me lazy.

Vett, I'm glad the worm finally turned for you and you finally have rain. I felt for you, I really did and for someone as heartless as myself that is saying a lot.

Latest posts