Rain Rot

Help Support CattleToday:

2rvzyfq.jpg

EQyss Micro-tek Medicated Shampoo http://tinyurl.com/6j26zt

and EQyss Micro-Tek Medicated Spray http://tinyurl.com/6rxta8

You can also mix several tablespoons of generic Athlete's Foot Powder to a gallon of water and sponge on the area being sure to work the solution down next to the skin. Do not rinse. Repeat every couple of days.

Rinse your brushes in a bleach solution after using to prevent reinfection.

The EQyss products work very well. It's a fungus.

Yeah, what he said. I use a good shampoo and I mix Iodine, white vinegar, and water in a spray bottle. When the area has dried from shampooing I spray that mixture on it a couple times a day.

His cure is probably better than mine but mine works for me.

I'm with the last two post, rain rot is a fungus. I used 1 part iodine to 1 part water in a spray bottle and wait for the hair to grow back.

Alan

I had a horse tht suffered with this for years, I tried all of the shampoos and sprays and all of the "homemade" remedies. Some of them do help, but you really have to stay on top of it.The thing that I found that works, is inexpensive and easy, is to get a shot of Vetalog from your vet. I only need to give it about twice a year and it cleared him right up, totally amazing results.

Mango1":3a2kcqf6 said:
I had a horse tht suffered with this for years, I tried all of the shampoos and sprays and all of the "homemade" remedies. Some of them do help, but you really have to stay on top of it.The thing that I found that works, is inexpensive and easy, is to get a shot of Vetalog from your vet. I only need to give it about twice a year and it cleared him right up, totally amazing results.
That is one that I never heard of but I am going to check into to. I have a client that has one of those horses that nothing seems to work on very well.

We have one like that, that my wifes friend kindly picked up for my wife last fall at an auction. Not much that we can do in the winter as far as shampo's. This horse is running with my cows and I was wondering if it could be transfered to them in any way. I've noticed lately that they've been scratching more and some of them have a few little bald spots on them.

Mine always start rubbing and getting bald spots this time of year also. I dumped a bunch of livestock dust on them yesterday hope that helps. I don't know if it is lice or what?

I use iodine shampoo, then when dry i spray a mixture of 1 part distilled water and 1 part red lysol. been working good for about 30 years.

There are several types of shampoos out there that have Captan, an antifungal, and sulfa that works well twice weekly for two weeks.. However, when i have a client with a case that wont go away, I give 250 ml sodium iodide IV repeat in three weeks if necessary.. Cost my clients 40 dollars. Most would rather spend the money than bathe the horse weekly..

The best stuff I've found is MTG just pour it on the affected areas everyday and voila its gone(another use it fights sweet itch) I also use it on my 5yr old half Arab who gets itchy in the summer and tries ripping her mane off every year if i don't bath her regularly. The second best is rose dust(it takes longer and the dustiness annoys me for some weird reason).

One good indicator of a horse's general physical condition is the state of its coat. A horse with a smooth, shiny coat is usually in good health, while a rough, dull, or patchy coat is a sign of underlying health problems. A horse's skin is constantly under attack by a wide variety of viruses, bacteria, and biting insects. Symptoms of skin diseases can range from a simple, isolated skin lesion to generalized itching and hair loss over the entire body.
Lumber Tarps

Hello!

As already stated "rain rot" is caused by Dermatophilus congolensisis...it is evident by the classic "paintbrush" appearance of the hair protruding through the scab after the lesions are removed...It is also true that there can be carrier states that exist, however it is a common misconception that it is a fungus. Dermatophilus congolensisis is actually a gram (+) Microaerophilic spore forming bacteria. It usually seen in the fall in winter monthes when it's damp hence the name "rain rot". Treatment involves: scab removal, bathing with an iodine shampoo or captan dip, and then 7 to 14 days of Penicllin (can also use erythromycin or oxytetracycline if you don't have penicllin)...I guess I did learn at least one useful thing in dermatology....good luck

how to treat depression

I think the label says Original M-T-G you can find it in the horse supplies at Tractor Supply. It's base is mineral oil I think, and has some sulfer smell to it. Alot of people don't like the smell...it's not so bad to me. Kinda smells like burnt rubber haha. Anyway...bath horse.....put that stuff on every day. Using sparingly. When I say that I mean. put it on and rub it into the areas affected by the rain rot. In just a day or so...all the scabs get loose and you can usually just bath again and they come off. You will however hafta bath with a good shampoo to get the oily off. Re-apply for a few days in a row. You don't hafta bath between applications if you don't want to. It's good stuff...and goes a long way. You hafta shake it up before each use because it settles out and will be clear on top and all the yellowish/white stuff in the bottom.

A horse's skin is constantly under attack by a wide variety of viruses, bacteria, and biting insects. Symptoms of skin diseases can range from a simple, isolated skin lesion to generalized itching and hair loss over the entire body. Two of the most common varieties of skin diseases are ringworm, also called dermatophytosis, and rain rot, which is also known as dermatophilosis.Ringworm is a skin infection caused by a fungus, not a worm. It spreads between horses thorough the use of common grooming tools, saddle pads, or harnesses. Also, damp, dark, and crowded conditions (such as horses confined to their stable during the winter and fall) can predispose horses to contracting ringworm.
how to treat depression
Regardz!!!!!

Rain rot is caused by the fungal organism Dermatophilus congolensis. Other names of the disease are rain scald and streptothricosis. Contrary to what a lot of people think, the organism has not been demonstrated to proliferate or be present in dirt or soil. The organism is dependent on a carrier horse who has the organism on its skin, and who may or may not be affected by it. There is some natural immunity, but some horses seem to be more susceptible to it, and that's why some horses get it year after year.In order for a horse to get the disease, several conditions have to exist. You have to have an infected carrier animal, or a fomite such as a brush, blanket, or saddle that has the organism in the form of a spore that makes contact with the susceptible horse. There has to be some form of extreme moisture, like heavy rainfall. Horses that have heavy hair coats keep the moisture in contact with their skin, which helps the spores grow. And, the skin has to be damaged-from an insect bite, cut, or scrape. That lets the organism get down into the epidermis.
how to treat depression
Good day!!!

Latest posts