Rain Rot

Help Support CattleToday:

Jazzin

Reaction score
My horse gets really bad rain rot in the winter and even worse in the spring time. I have used Iodine but wondering if there is maybe something that works better!?!

Look in the flower seed and fertilizer section and look for a powder for rose bushes it's called CAP E TAN ? spelling. If I remember right mix 9 table spoons to a gallon of water. Comb the infected area out good. Then wash horse in the mixture.It will take a couple of times to cure it.

I've had very good luck treating with Ting Athletes Foot Creme. You might start dusting your pony with an athletes foot powder for prevention.
And yeah, before anyone says that rain rot isn't a fungus, you're likely right. All I know is what has worked for me!

Jazzin":7hfl1ze9 said:
My horse gets really bad rain rot in the winter and even worse in the spring time. I have used Iodine but wondering if there is maybe something that works better!?!

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

JMO,
Alan

I have always had luck with a diluted iodine solution, about 50/50 iodine and water in a spray bottle. Haven't had problems with burning, might have a problem with straight iodine. I would stay away from "off lable" suggestions. I only have had a little problem with rain rot on some cattle towards the end of winter and spring. I have 3 heifers and a steer wintered in a pasture with a 32x24 loafing shed, but the prefer standing in a hole they pushed in some black berry bushes (?).

I guess what I'm saying for your horse is prevention is the best cure. Water proof blanket, better shelter, confined shelter of certain hours of the day or night.

Alan

Sorry about that. I was thinking "hoof rot" instead of the skin condition.

I can tell you this about iodine. It inhibits the growth of healthy tissue. I wouldn't use it after the initial treatment because even though it is killing off the surface fungus and bacteria it can and does also kill the healthy cells as well. The same goes for furison type products. Use a good anti-bacteral on the surface but you also have to treat internally.

Put this on your favorites list.Z

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp

If your problem is the wet, something we haven't had much of 'til very recently, you might also try putting an oil on the coat. Something like a dressing oil, mineral oil or musk oil to help shed rain. My Dr has me on mineral oil for Winter Itch and it sure seems to help.

Alan is right prevention is the best cure. This may not be very helpful to you this year if the rain rot is already too advanced but a using a rubber curry (daily for even just a few minutes) works great for lifting the hair and letting air get under the coat. This keeps the bacteris away since it needs the moisture to grow. If you start early enough you should be able to keep it to a minimum.

I recently used a product called "horsemans dream", for rain rot. Got it at TSC. $ for $ was the same or less than other types of antifungals that you can "try". It worked well.

Well thanks for all the imputs. Decided I should just stick to the Iodine. But instead of putting it on full force just been mixen it with some water. Also I have her in her stall too so i think that seems to help a bit. Just tryin to cut it out now before it gets bad! :D

I never used anything but soap and warm water, and a tube of anitiobtic from the first aid kit.

First, I got rid of any excess hair, soaked area with soap and warm water, scrubbed the infected areas with my finger tips until scabs lifted off, and sores were free of pus. From then on, I just kept the area clean and dry as possible. I used little dabs of the anitibotic to cover infected area to keep moisture and dirt off. I never used any grooming items on him that I used on other horses. Went to the dollar store and got a few cheap brushes and just trashed them when I was done. Sounds time consuming, but it really isn't, maybe 10 or 15 minutes is all I spent each time.

I also had him in a smaller pasture away from the other horses.

Good luck.......

Latest posts