Rain Rot

Help Support CattleToday:

SilverCharm

Reaction score
My horse gets rain rot around her hooves. Two years ago I didn't find out until she went lame (she was being boarded at the time so I might have caught it earlier had she been at home) and the vet had to give her a series of steroid shots. Then I had to give her antibiotics and change the bandage every day. I just found it again around her hooves and I am so thankful that I caught it earlier this time. What can I do to prevent this?

SilverCharm":212e7gr9 said:
My horse gets rain rot around her hooves. Two years ago I didn't find out until she went lame (she was being boarded at the time so I might have caught it earlier had she been at home) and the vet had to give her a series of steroid shots. Then I had to give her antibiotics and change the bandage every day. I just found it again around her hooves and I am so thankful that I caught it earlier this time. What can I do to prevent this?

Rain rot is carried in the skin and can be passed from one animal to another. Being you are in a boarding situation it will be harder for you to prevent. Make sure the stall is dry and well ventilated. Make sure whomever is grooming or working your horse doesnt use the same equipment on your horse as the others. You could also trim any long hair that holds in moisture and keeps out oxygen if you have a persistent problem.

I would also look around the barn and see if anybody elses animal has it.

Its not a very big problem where I live

oscar p":1v4xptxq said:
Sounds like scratches to me, Scratches is a bacterial or fungus infection that starts around the top of the hoof.

I think that would be scratches also. I wonder, does this horse have fleathered fetlocks?

Ray

Koppertox will cure it. I've bought severl draft horses over the years that had it ( BAD ) at our local horse sale,for nearly nothing. koppertox will make the hair fall out but it will grow back. One mare had it so bad she had maggots in the folds of the skin of her swelled legs. Gave her to my granddaddy after I cured her, he has had her four years now.

3MR":2hpqjx2w said:
SilverCharm":2hpqjx2w said:

Rain rot is carried in the skin and can be passed from one animal to another. Being you are in a boarding situation it will be harder for you to prevent. Make sure the stall is dry and well ventilated. Make sure whomever is grooming or working your horse doesnt use the same equipment on your horse as the others. You could also trim any long hair that holds in moisture and keeps out oxygen if you have a persistent problem.

I would also look around the barn and see if anybody elses animal has it.

Its not a very big problem where I live

i agree with you

Well, from what I read, I still think it is rain rot, or dew poisoning is what the web sites called it. The scabs are small and more roundish than crease like. There is also no swelling. The spray and shampoo I am using treats both rain rot and scratches so I guess if it is scratches, she is still getting treated for it.

As a farrier, I would think Scratches is a real possiblity. Rain rot is most often found on their back and rump. they do look simmilair to some persons. :cboy:

Latest posts