R heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

wbvs58

Reaction score
Here are my R heifers, most would have been born in July last year, the youngest in early October. I got them in today to weigh and give them their first Pesti virus vaccination. We are only allowed to have the killed vaccine here so they have to have 2 shots about 6 wks apart. I like to get them in about every 2 wks to weigh them to make sure they continue to go forward over winter and to get them accustomed to handling for when I breed them in late September.

Ken

They look good what is the breeding on them
They are a bit of a mixed lot we were in a bad drought so I tried to use up as much of my left over semen as I could. They are all good bulls but I can't say I've got a line of anything.
R3 by Baldridge Compass out of a Hoover Dam heifer
R5 by LD Capitalist out of a GAR Prophet cow.
R6 by Sydgen Enhance out of a SAV Thunderbird cow.
R9 by SAV Rainmaster out of a Renown heifer.
R10 by SS Niagara out of a Bruns Blaster heifer.
R11 by SAV Resource out of Sydgen Black Pearl cow
R12 by Musgrave Exclusive out of SAV Thunderbird cow.
R25 by a Renown son out of a cow by a GAR Prophet bull. I wasn't going to keep her I sold all my other heifers and she was left being the youngest but she is OK, I'll hang onto her for now. A couple of the bulls there I've used on your recommendation Gizmon.

Ken

They are a bit of a mixed lot we were in a bad drought so I tried to use up as much of my left over semen as I could. They are all good bulls but I can't say I've got a line of anything.
R3 by Baldridge Compass out of a Hoover Dam heifer
R5 by LD Capitalist out of a GAR Prophet cow.
R6 by Sydgen Enhance out of a SAV Thunderbird cow.
R9 by SAV Rainmaster out of a Renown heifer.
R10 by SS Niagara out of a Bruns Blaster heifer.
R11 by SAV Resource out of Sydgen Black Pearl cow
R12 by Musgrave Exclusive out of SAV Thunderbird cow.
R25 by a Renown son out of a cow by a GAR Prophet bull. I wasn't going to keep her I sold all my other heifers and she was left being the youngest but she is OK, I'll hang onto her for now. A couple of the bulls there I've used on your recommendation Gizmon.

Ken
I hope you have been satisfied with them Ken a very nice looking group

Ken, you should be proud. VERY nice group. Sorry they are so underfed!! LOL
Actually, they look like they are in perfect BCS. That is the way I like them. Not fat and super deep & soggy.
Jeanne we had a good summer, November was tough but then it started raining in early December and even though not massive amounts it kept coming at the right interval so the grass just kept growing. I have a lot of grass stockpiled. I feed the heifers once a day with a grain mix to make sure they keep gaining at .5-.75kg/ day throughout winter to match their body growth.

Gizmon, yes I am happy and proud of them, this is what I breed for to be able to walk around my females and have that ahhhh feeling. Raising bulls has been a biproduct of this and while I enjoy seeing them reach their potential if it becomes too much work and not enough financial reward I will cut back to just raising a few for definite orders. I don't really want to be marketing bulls, I will be just putting the brothers of these heifers out there in spring with a price tag on them, no arguing if people want them they pay the price, any that don't sell by the following autumn go to the butchers.

Ken

Nice group of females, R12 caught my eye. They look like they will be a fertile bunch, i expect you will have a good success rate with your insemination program.

I do the same as you, if i have a bull i think looks the part i put a price on him, if he sells all good, if not off to the sale yards. I price them fairly and have had good feedback on the bulls I've sold.

Latest posts