Quotes

Help Support CattleToday:

alisonb

Reaction score
I think the following quotes don't need much more to be said. If any of you have some good one's please share them.

"Swearing is an art form. You can express yourself much more directly, much more exactly, much more succinctly, with properly used curse words."
— Coleman A. Young

"A room without books is like a body without a soul."
— Marcus Tullius Cicero

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."
— Dr. Seuss

"Here's to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square hole. The ones who see things differently. They're not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can't do is ignore them. Because they change things. They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do."
— Apple Computer Inc.

"Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: "What! You too? I thought I was the only one."
— C.S. Lewis

"Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend."
— Albert Camus

"I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to."
— Jimi Hendrix

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
— Mark Twain

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect."
— Mark Twain

"I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world."
— Albert Einstein

"To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; to earn the appreciation of honest critics and to endure the betrayal of false friends. To appreciate beauty; to find the best in others; to leave the world a bit better whether by a healthy child, a garden patch, or a redeemed social condition; to know that even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded."
— Ralph Waldo Emerson

"For every minute you are angry you lose sixty seconds of happiness."
— Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
— Ralph Waldo Emerson

By Ogden Nash, A Portrait of the Artist as a Prematurely Old Man

(your Mark Twain quote reminded me of this one)

It is common knowledge to every schoolboy and even every Bachelor of Arts,
That all sin is divided into two parts.
One kind of sin is called a sin of commission, and that is very important,
And it is what you are doing when you are doing something you ortant,
And the other kind of sin is just the opposite and is called a sin of omission
and is equally bad in the eyes of all right-thinking people, from
Billy Sunday to Buddha,
And it consists of not having done something you shuddha.
I might as well give you my opinion of these two kinds of sin as long as,
in a way, against each other we are pitting them,
And that is, don't bother your head about the sins of commission because
however sinful, they must at least be fun or else you wouldn't be
committing them.
It is the sin of omission, the second kind of sin,
That lays eggs under your skin.
The way you really get painfully bitten
Is by the insurance you haven't taken out and the checks you haven't added up
the stubs of and the appointments you haven't kept and the bills you
haven't paid and the letters you haven't written.
Also, about sins of omission there is one particularly painful lack of beauty,
Namely, it isn't as though it had been a riotous red-letter day or night every
time you neglected to do your duty;
You didn't get a wicked forbidden thrill
Every time you let a policy lapse or forget to pay a bill;
You didn't slap the lads in the tavern on the back and loudly cry Whee,
Let's all fail to write just one more letter before we go home, and this round
of unwritten letters is on me.
No, you never get any fun
Out of things you haven't done,
But they are the things that I do not like to be amid,
Because the suitable things you didn't do give you a lot more trouble than the
unsuitable things you did.
The moral is that it is probably better not to sin at all, but if some kind of
sin you must be pursuing,
Well, remember to do it by doing rather than by not doing.

"Whatever doesn't kill you just makes you stronger... or just flat cripples you for life."
cow pollinater's twist on an old quote from an unknown(at least to him) source after reflecting on his various injuries which include amputation and massive concussion. :D

alisonb":efmfwr8r said:
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."
— Dr. Seuss

That is a really good one! :tiphat:

I came to think about one I learned in malawi; where the roads are sub-par:
"My tires are knackered, and my knackers are tired!"

"Do not judge a man before you have walked 20 miles in his boots;
By then you are 20 miles ahead of him, and you have his boots!" :banana: :banana:

My favorite one came from the CT board, don't remember who gets credit.
"I treat the light at the end of the tunnel like a freight train"
gs

"To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; to earn the appreciation of honest critics and to endure the betrayal of false friends. To appreciate beauty; to find the best in others; to leave the world a bit better whether by a healthy child, a garden patch, or a redeemed social condition; to know that even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded."

This was on my grandfather's obit. He was a very successful man.

"For Attractive lips, speak words of kindness.
For lovely eyes, seek out the good in people.
For a slim figure, share your food with the hungry.
For beautiful hair, let a child run their fingers through it once a day.
For poise, walk with the knowledge that you never walk alone.
People, more than things, have to be restored, renewed, revived, reclaimed, and redeemed. Remember, if you ever need a helping hand, you will find one at the end of each of your arms.
As you grow older, you will discover that you have two hands, one for helping yourself and the other for helping others."
— Audrey Hepburn

"You can't get hooked on cocaine. I know somebody been doin cocaine 15 years and he ain't hooked"
- Richard Pryor

There are lies, damned lies, and statistics - Mark Twain

Be the change you want to see - Ghandi

Man who run in front of car get tired, man who run behind car get exhausted - confuscious

I used to procrastinate but I don't get around to it anymore - unknown

There is no "I" in team (but I can spell "Eat me") - Myself

Teamwork is essential, it allows you to blame someone else - Unknown

None of us are as dumb as all of us - unknown

Anything free is worth what you paid for it - Unknown

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth - unknown

If you want to stay friends with someone, don't speak of religion and politics - John Notting, family friend

Once made equal to man, woman becomes his superior. :p
Socrates

I have been brought up and trained to have the utmost contempt for people who get drunk.
Winston Churchill

If you have an important point to make, don't try to be subtle or clever. Use a pile driver. Hit the point once. Then come back and hit it again. Then hit it a third time - a tremendous whack.
Winston Churchill

alisonb":3azna8it said:
Once made equal to man, woman becomes his superior. :p
Socrates

I have been brought up and trained to have the utmost contempt for people who get drunk.
Winston Churchill

If you have an important point to make, don't try to be subtle or clever. Use a pile driver. Hit the point once. Then come back and hit it again. Then hit it a third time - a tremendous whack.
Winston Churchill

Churchill was one of the greatest writers and orators that ever lived, in my opinion. I've changed my signature line in his honor.