Quotes

Help Support CattleToday:

alisonb

Reaction score
"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
― Albert Einstein

"I speak to everyone in the same way, whether he is the garbage man or the president of the university."
― Albert Einstein

"Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid."
― John Wayne
:lol: :lol:

"All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."
― Chuck Palahniuk
:lol:

alisonb[b:3b7vst90 said:
":3b7vst90]"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
― Albert Einstein [/b]
"I speak to everyone in the same way, whether he is the garbage man or the president of the university."
― Albert Einstein

― John Wayne

"All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."
― Chuck Palahniuk

I like that one. I am a Pagan, but I think having the opportunity to live even for the short time we are here; is a miracle!

inyati13":1pnimg0z said:
alisonb[b:1pnimg0z said:
":1pnimg0z]"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
― Albert Einstein [/b]
― Albert Einstein

― John Wayne

― Chuck Palahniuk

I like that one. I am a Pagan, but I think having the opportunity to live even for the short time we are here; is a miracle!

Sooooo how do Pagans celebrate Christmas?

3waycross":2gk12qyp said:
inyati13":2gk12qyp said:
alisonb[b:2gk12qyp said:
":2gk12qyp]"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
― Albert Einstein [/b]
― Albert Einstein

― John Wayne

― Chuck Palahniuk

Sooooo how do Pagans celebrate Christmas?

I cannot speak on behalf of all Pagans no more than you can speak on behalf of all Christians. What I do at Christmas is about what everyone else does. I just do not have faith that Jesus was devine. I believe that a doctrine developed around Jesus and much of that doctrine is based on fabrications. Thus, I have no faith in the Christian doctrine.

Dogs and Cows":177zm9xg said:
inyati13":177zm9xg said:
alisonb[b:177zm9xg said:
":177zm9xg]"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
― Albert Einstein [/b]
― Albert Einstein

― John Wayne

― Chuck Palahniuk

You keep referring to yourself as a Pagan....what/who exactly do you worship? Sun God? Multiple Gods? Just curious...to me you sound more atheist...but Pagan sounds cooler....

Tim

Defined: a person holding religious beliefs other than those of the main world religions.

Note the definition. It is broad and open. As a Pagan, I confess that I do not have faith in any of the "main world religions". Thus, the definition permits one to follow what is in their "heart". I cannot confess with my tongue that which my mind and heart cannot embrace. That would be a hypocrite of sorts or at a minimum, a liar. I believe that the Universe is the result of natural processes governed by the Laws of Physics. It is not important that man has not uncovered all those natural processes. On the other hand, because mankind has not discovered the natural forces that brought the Universe to its current status, does not justify adoption of a fairytale to explain what man cannot. I believe religion is a fairytale scribed by men in a sincere search for meaning and everlasting life. An Honorable quest but fool's gold, in my opinion. Therefore, I am content to be a Pagan.

Lest we forget, the time of Christmas was a pagan holiday chosen by the early church to be come jesus birthday. In fact common science tells us that the man named jesus was born sometime in June.

"Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her tribunal for every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." ~ Thomas Jefferson, 1787

JWBrahman":2x8zu3ws said:
"Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her tribunal for every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." ~ Thomas Jefferson, 1787

Amen!

Inyati13
I do enjoy your posts and have learned from you as I have read them. I had to think about what you posted:
"I believe that the Universe is the result of natural processes governed by the Laws of Physics. It is not important that man has not uncovered all those natural processes. On the other hand, because mankind has not discovered the natural forces that brought the Universe to its current status, does not justify adoption of a fairytale to explain what man cannot. I believe religion is a fairytale scribed by men in a sincere search for meaning and everlasting life."
Have I correctly read that you believe that natural processes brought the universe to its current status, but you concede that not all of the processes have been uncovered yet? Faith can be defined as confidence or trust. You trust (or have faith) that it is possible one day those natural processes not yet observed will further explain the universe, but further we may never discover those processes but it does not diminish their importance. I hope I have not read too munch into your posting, I do not want to assume something incorrectly. Do you have an opinion on your interaction or lack thereof with time when your body ceases to sustain life?

red angus 2010":1inzdd4i said:
Inyati13
I do enjoy your posts and have learned from you as I have read them. I had to think about what you posted:
"I believe that the Universe is the result of natural processes governed by the Laws of Physics. It is not important that man has not uncovered all those natural processes. On the other hand, because mankind has not discovered the natural forces that brought the Universe to its current status, does not justify adoption of a fairytale to explain what man cannot. I believe religion is a fairytale scribed by men in a sincere search for meaning and everlasting life."
Have I correctly read that you believe that natural processes brought the universe to its current status, but you concede that not all of the processes have been uncovered yet? Faith can be defined as confidence or trust. You trust (or have faith) that it is possible one day those natural processes not yet observed will further explain the universe, but further we may never discover those processes but it does not diminish their importance. I hope I have not read too munch into your posting, I do not want to assume something incorrectly. Do you have an opinion on your interaction or lack thereof with time when your body ceases to sustain life?

Yes, I believe the Universe is the result of natural processes governed by the Laws of Physics. That man does not have a recipe for how it occurred does not strike me as unusual. My point is that not having the recipe for a naturally occurring process does not justify the creation of deities to "cop out" on our lack of understanding. What appears to me that man has done is this: He cannot explain the earth, the moon or the stars or their origins so in the absence of that knowledge he creates a deity that he can point to and say, "There you have it, the guy who did it all." IMHO, it is no more that the story of the Lord of the Rings and God is akin to a Wizard like Gandalf who waved his great arms and there you have the Universe. I congratulate anyone who wishes to find peace in that but there is none in it for me.

My opinion on an organism's interaction with the Universe when the organism can no longer sustain life is that the elements of that organism are reduced to a lower energy level. A fundamental concept in science is that all systems seek the lowest energy level. The maintenance of life requires a high energy level. When life is extinguished, the elements will seek a lower energy level.

Through out the history of the species of hominid that is clasified as Homo sapiens, there have been many many Gods. All created by man. A God for all seasons, a God for the oceans, the sun, the sky and the mountains. Gods for every function we can imagine. Man was faithful to all these Gods until a new God came along that seemed to offer just a little bit more of what man covets. And so it has been and so it shall continue to be.
Ron, I take full credit for this message. :D

"Faith consists in being vitally concerned with that ultimate reality to which I give the symbolic name of God. Whoever reflects earnestly on the meaning of life is on the verge of an act of faith" Paul Tillich

Just three things to say!

1. Man Alison did this get hijacked quick, may have been a great thread.

2. Ron, sometimes there is a good time to keep your fingers off the keyboard, me personally ..... Not impressed. Sometimes best to say nothing.

3. In before it's locked .... Thanks GB!

V5CwslXFMgGvS.gif

Latest posts