Questions to ask when buying a farm....

Help Support CattleToday:

TheBullLady":2btvv9rt said:
A lot of the aforementioned things will be discovered on a title policy. Are you going to work with a Realtor? If so, make sure you use one that is familiar with land sales. They can help you determine what is important and what isn't.

A survey can generally still be used, and valid, if no changes have been made, ie: land sold off, new buildings, creek that is used as a boundary.

Even if you are buying directly from an individual, get a title policy!

I shudder at the thought of anyone trusting a "Realtor" for anything.............................

Wewild":2rijz06z said:
You can't build in it here either. That's why it's hard to jack up the taxes. We just raise cattle in the floodplains. You would need to consider other structures outside of that.

Thanx for clarifying Wewild, it was great pasture land here too, just some years you had to hold them out longer because it was too wet. But there was always lots of grass ( and freshwater springs as well ).

ALX

Find out what the neighbors are like. What kind of predators are in the area. If we ever move that is one thing I'd be conserned about. Neighbors

cornstalk":14tpe3ef said:
Hey board,

Looking at purchasing a mid-size farmstead complete with building site, home, livestock facilities, and 150-200 acres of land.

I think I have a pretty good list of basic questions to ask the previous/current owner, and realtor, but thought I'd drop a line here to see if anyone had any insight to share based on experience? Thanks for any ideas, thoughts, or comments.

In addition to having a good deed with boundary descriptions, ask the seller and all adjacent landowners if there is any boundary disputes that you need to know about.

Lammie Wrote:

Around here, with the Bartlett Shale, that's a good question. Mineral rights. That's the deal breaker around here, and no one in his right mind will convey mineral rights on property of any size. Of course, that isn't the case everywhere.

I don't know of any Texan that would give up mineral rights. Not me anyway.

Also, I don't know about any other state but Texas, but, if you have a pipeline (gas,oil, or whatever) you can't build within about 100' of the pipeline. Learned that when we built our house. It was within 50' of an old pipeline and we had to get our lawyer involved to straighten it out. Seems the law says that if they haven't done anything with the pipeline for 5 or 7 yrs., they have to relinquish the rights back to the owner. Strange, but true. I guess what I'm saying is, check to see if the holder of the lease rights is going to do something with it before you buy. Doe's that make sense?

Dick

icandoit":3fg4g6fq said:
Lammie Wrote:

Around here, with the Bartlett Shale, that's a good question. Mineral rights. That's the deal breaker around here, and no one in his right mind will convey mineral rights on property of any size. Of course, that isn't the case everywhere.

I don't know of any Texan that would give up mineral rights. Not me anyway.

Also, I don't know about any other state but Texas, but, if you have a pipeline (gas,oil, or whatever) you can't build within about 100' of the pipeline. Learned that when we built our house. It was within 50' of an old pipeline and we had to get our lawyer involved to straighten it out. Seems the law says that if they haven't done anything with the pipeline for 5 or 7 yrs., they have to relinquish the rights back to the owner. Strange, but true. I guess what I'm saying is, check to see if the holder of the lease rights is going to do something with it before you buy. Doe's that make sense?

Dick

There is no set in stone distance. It depends on the width of the right away and the service going through. My wife is a Gas Field engineer and deals with these kinds of issues all the time (Yes, in Texas). Basically just be sure you dont build over the right of way.

I just bout another 150 acres with a 10,000 sq. foot barn, and i havn't slept a wink since. Land prices are through the roof here and catlle wont hardly cash flow it, but in a few years a subdivision will!

If you're in Texas,find out where the TransTexasCorredor is gonna be~If you can get a straight answer on that!

AngusLimoX":23u2kcfm said:
All of the above - especially water.

Building inspection by an independant company.

Quirks or stigmas? Often not thought about, but Jogee has a house he couldn't sell to anyone in here! :lol:

ALX

Stigmatas or haints. :lol:

ghost.jpg

Sorry, I was bored.

I would survey the local dog population, look at land that may be selling in close proximity, i.e. how many houses are being built in the area. More houses = more precious family pets that would never, ever, in a million years chase or kill any of your calves. I've been fighting this problem with new houses springing up around my place.
Trey

Latest posts