Questions of fitting for show/sale

Help Support CattleToday:

Farmgirl

Reaction score
We want to get two calves ready for a sale and they need to be in show condition. We are not new to the cattle business but new to fitting animals for show. We have the general idea on working hair and clipping but have specific questions. How often do they need to be rinsed? Do you always blow them dry? How often do you brush the hair? How long would you expect it to take to get them in show/sale condition? What equipment is needed?

Calves are 4 months old.

Would like to post pictures if someone could help me get them up here. Very frustrated!!

Thanks to all,
Farmgirl

I know that the ranch my son worked for at their last sale (he was responsible for rinsing) rinsed and blew the cattle out every other day, they were working 50 head. With just 2 head I would rinse and blow-out everyday and tie them with heads up for 2 hours a day. You want to get the hair trained so it has that pop in it. Comb and blow the hair forward, we blow it forward and up at about a 45% angle. As far as clipping you want to get them show ready for the sale, so clip them like you were going to be showing them.

Farmgirl":10mu5zkh said:
We want to get two calves ready for a sale and they need to be in show condition. We are not new to the cattle business but new to fitting animals for show. We have the general idea on working hair and clipping but have specific questions. How often do they need to be rinsed? Do you always blow them dry? How often do you brush the hair? How long would you expect it to take to get them in show/sale condition? What equipment is needed?
How big will the sale be? Especially if it's a bigger sale, your calves need to stand out. I'd rinse every day to get the hair trained (I usually only soap them once a week). Blowing them dry is going to be the best way to get the hair to pop and get it trained right. When they are dry, brush and blow the hair at the same time. That will also help to get the hair trained. You can use a spray on conditioner to get the hair to have a little shine, like Sulluivan's Kleen Sheen.

What equipment do you have already?

To get them into the best condition, make sure you are feeding them some grain. You don't need to feed them like a fat steer, but a little grain will help add condition to them.

If you pm me, I can try to get the pictures up.

Besides clipping and training hair, its always good to also have them be able to show, walk, set up etc. It also takes more than one clip job to make the hair its best. Good Luck!

I agree pretty much with what everyone else has said. The more you rinse, the better the hair will be. Dont leave out trainning the hair on those legs either. I would always reccomend that everytime you rinse , put sometype of light oil or conditioner back into the coat.

doesnt take as much now thats its winter but in the summer months we try to rinse 3 times a day when possible, and use soap twice a week. Two of the times per day we just blow them till dry but the other we brush them till they are dry, it takes some time but it really helps to grow and train the hair

My advice to you is that if your not sure or confident in what you are doing hire someone to take you calves to the sale. When I take custom cattle I prefer the owner not to do any clipping or hair work ahead of me taking their calves to my barn. Also what and how much show type equipment do you have?

Thanks for the replies.

Looks like we may take one or both of the calves to a fitter. My husband and I both work and the cattle (our pasture) is not located where we live. Makes a daily routine difficult. May also try to sell calves private treaty instead of through a sale. Would you do anything different if selling privately vs. an auction?

As far as equipment, we have none at this time. We could/would buy what was needed if time constraints were not as they are.

Thanks again,
Farmgirl

If they are being sold as show prospects, I would have them as close to show condition as possible. No matter where you are selling them. They sell better that way.

Avalon":rqyeh8dw said:
If they are being sold as show prospects, I would have them as close to show condition as possible. No matter where you are selling them. They sell better that way.
I agree. If you're selling for breeding private treaty, I'd maybe rough clip them so they're not super shaggy but I wouldn't worry about rinsing and blowing everyday.

Latest posts