questions about land requirements.

Help Support CattleToday:

meko49301

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am new getting into this. My family has raised many things for food and we are looking into some cattle as well.
My question, because i can not find an answer here or elsewhere, is land requirements. How much land is needed for each, if they are required by law to be fenced or just turned out, and similar questions like that. My land is zoned commercial, so I can have anything here except horses and say they are raised for human consumption. can someone point me in a direction please?

As Kingfisher indicated, that question is way too general to answer without more information. The rate for cattle can range from 2 acres per cow in regions that get good rainfall to several dozen acres in drier country. And you will almost certainly need a fence to contain them.

I am located in southeast michigan. I was looking more into the lines if there was a needed space amount within the fenced area, although i do believe its 2 acres for the first cow and .5 or 1 acre for each additional after. which would be great for us because at this moment we are only trying to be a more self sufficient family.

How you gonna keep the first cow on 2 acres and the second Cow on .5 acre ? Down here in Texas we let them share a pasture, I guess you could fence off a space for each cow, so long as they had water. :cboy:

sorry for the delayed response, I was not sure who to speak with as far as county goes, but I will check with them. thanks for the information you were able to provide!

Latest posts