Question

Help Support CattleToday:

Bobbym60

Reaction score
I'm giving my calves 1/2 percent tbsp if corid liquid in with Their milk replacer 2 feedings a day for bloody stools,which is the 2nd day We been giving but can I also give a 1/2 a terraymicin bolus scour pill with the corid since they have loose somewhat yellow stools,or is it just milk stools calves are about a week old,

I wouldn't. I would add electrolytes to their feedings instead of that. Don't mix with the milk, give an additional separate 3rd feeding. Runny yellow poops are normal in a bottle calf for the first week, maybe up to 2. Its their body get used to the feed and the replacer. Best thing to do for them during that time is keep them hydrated with a bottle of electrolytes. If you cannot get electrolytes id offer them a bottle of room temperature water. I also start my bottle calves on calf starter grain right away.

Bobby, can you have a vet check a fecal sample for coccidiosis. Our vet said there can be side affects using Corid. After having coccidiosis one year, we have been using Corid 21 day preventative treatment for several years. The other day when the vet was here we asked about continuing this treatment and he said there may be side effects with Corid and would not use Corid without knowing if coccidiosis was present.

Should be holding of on all meds unless it is known to be required.

Calves often have runny poop. I would say it is normal & especially when new to replacer for a few days at least, after a few days loose is still ok, but it should not be like a watery stream or burst or have blood, watch hydration closely if very loose and watery.

What you need to look for is behavior & changes and or departure from normal, changes can be subtle.

If the calf is energetic, taking its feed with vigour and showing no signs of dehydration, then just keep feeding them and watching. Follow the directions on powder amount and mixing on a quality milk replacer, do not be tempted to vary or feed a lot more.

As per cowgal, offer a starter pellet and mix in some chaff so they can nibble, also, a water source, they will still drink water too.

Make sure they get the milk, they need it. It is no 1.

It takes at least 3 weeks for coccidiosis to develop. Stop the corid. Give them some probias gel daily.

Latest posts