Question on transporting pregnant cow?

Help Support CattleToday:

Tray

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to the cattle world, but I have been hard at it for about two years now. I have to make a move due to work. I have a new farm set up and I will be ready to transport my cows with me. My question is, one of my cows is pregnant and has about two months to go. The trip will take 22 hours. If I place her by herself, in a section of the stock trailer, and drive like a normal sane person not trying to break any land spread records, will she be ok? Any help or advice here would be great.

Tray":2kgdb4ow said:
Hi, I'm new to the cattle world, but I have been hard at it for about two years now. I have to make a move due to work. I have a new farm set up and I will be ready to transport my cows with me. My question is, one of my cows is pregnant and has about two months to go. The trip will take 22 hours. If I place her by herself, in a section of the stock trailer, and drive like a normal sane person not trying to break any land spread records, will she be ok? Any help or advice here would be great.
yes she should be just fine hauling that far.but since she is that heavy bred i suggest stoping to look at her every 4 or 5hrs.

It would be nice if you could find a way to get water to her every so often. Maybe even a few pellets all along to. 22hrs. is a long ride

If she is heavy. Consider putting a stall mat under her. Either way she needs good footing in that trailer. I had one fall down once and went through hades trying to get her on her feet again.

I truly appreciate all the informationa and I can make everyone of those suggestions happen with out a problem. Just a little nervous and I want her to be o.k.

Dont know where you are or where you are going but there are some places acoss the US where cattle can be unloaded, feed, watered while on a trip. Many calves leaving the east coast are unloaded in St. Joe Missouri for this.

Tray":frngwgdi said:

Perhaps--you could look around here at CT and see if there is anyone along your route where you might be able to stop for a break and whatever is needed.

lokk for salebarn along the way, most of them are helpful and would let you unload and freshin up. call ahead and ask them, plan your route