Question on showing

Help Support CattleToday:

texast

Reaction score
How do you, or what are the arrangments that should be made if you allow someone to show your cattle for you? I have a bull calf that's being trained to show and have a young lady that wants to show him.
What things should I cover, and should I pay her? Like lets say my bull wins grand champion do she take the ribbon home. I just don't want to cheat her. Any answer and other information added would be appreciated.

when i show for another person they keep the ribbons and they usually pay me becuase i fit there calves to.

When I am showing for someone else, the breeder gets the ribbons. I get paid a daily rate, plus accomodation and meals provided. The breeder provides all equipment, feed etc. or if needed I will supply but the rates are increased. Transport is organised by the breeder or myself at the breeder's own expense. Depending on the situation my transport can be at my or the breeders expense.

Thanks for the reply I thought about showing him myself but the young lady that showed his mother said she wanted to show him and I said she could. Now I know what to take into consideration when it gets down to it.

texast":mrxy07ha said:
How do you, or what are the arrangments that should be made if you allow someone to show your cattle for you? I have a bull calf that's being trained to show and have a young lady that wants to show him.
What things should I cover, and should I pay her? Like lets say my bull wins grand champion do she take the ribbon home. I just don't want to cheat her. Any answer and other information added would be appreciated.
On a side note....if your bull is good enough to win GC, make sure the girl is an excellent showman first.

I curious, Is this girl currently showing in the juniors shows?
If so does she realize that the bull will have to be shown in the open show? What breed is he?

As the last poster said, the bull needs to be shown in open shows. When someone shows one of my calves, i either usually let them take them, feed them and pay the entries (get bred ai, if hfr) I transfer papers until show season is over. I have also kept hfrs in my posession, paid entries, fit the calf and basically just had the kid on the showhalter for that day. They get to keep a portion of premium money won.

Wow so different from what we do when we have someone else show our calves. We let them take them to any show, they pay for everything, they pay for feed, they keep the ribbons, but we get all of the advertising. If people ask about the calf they will promote our ranch and breeding program. It has worked for a few years for us and we've had some good business out of it. I would expect them to take my calf to as many shows as they can, though.

Latest posts