Question for you bottle calf raisers

Help Support CattleToday:

Travis B.

Reaction score
We ended up with a new bottle calf tonight. He was pulled as a breech and had no colostrum. We fed him one of the packaged colostrum deals. We usually give a dose of Nuflor(to clear out their lungs) the first day and another 48 hours later. However after losing the last two bottle calves this year, we decided to try something new. We waited and are going to give it tomorrow. I was just wondering if anyone else had any tips as to getting bottle calves started. Thanks!!!

Travis Bryan

Travis B.":1cw4m27i said:
We ended up with a new bottle calf tonight. He was pulled as a breech and had no colostrum.

Travis Bryan

I don't understand why this scenario would make him a bottle calf. Did his mother die while giving birth or shortly thereafter? If not, put her in the chute and help her calf nurse. If that is not possible for whatever reason, milk the mother, bottle the calf, and help him nurse when he is strong enough to stand.

Sorry, I forgot that part. My dad pulled him at the feedlot where he works and his mother was being shipped tomorrow. He can stand on his own although his hind feet are sore from the chains on them. Thanks!!!

Travis Bryan

I understand now. I would continue to give him the packaged colostrum for the first 24 hours, then switch to a good milk replacer - make sure it is milk by products, not soy, and is at least 20% fat and protein - in small quanities (say a pint or maybe 2) every 3-4 hours. In a couple of days, as his stomach becomes accustomed to a larger amount of milk, gradually increase the quantity/feeding and start cutting down the number of feedings. Watch him closely for possible scours and adjust the amount of milk replacer accordingly. If cutting back the milk solves the scours problem, wonderful, if not give him a double dose of a good scour medication for the initial dose, then go back to the regular dosage if need be. In about a week, start introducing a handful of calf starter or COB and a tiny bit of hay. You might have to put a little bit of the grain in his mouth to begin with, and you might not - it just depends on the calf. I'm going to catch flack for this, but I'm not a big believer in the gallon of milk replacer/day that is recommended. I try to raise my bottle calves like their mother would as much as possible, and I generally give mine 2 gallons/day because that is what most of our beef milk cows gave. This is how I do it, and I hope it helps.

PS You know about the water thing, but you may not know to keep a good mineral available for this baby, too. Calves as young as a week old will eat mineral. I put mine in a half-barrel crystal-x tub that is kept in the shelter (not barn) provided for the calf.

Thanks for the help. We have another bottle calf now who is weaned and eating sweet feed daily. This calf should follow her eating feed and i hope he does. We have raised 5 out of 10 calves from the feedlot the last 3 years. It seems that these calves are just too premature and too little to make it. I sure hope this one does though. Thanks again!!!

Travis Bryan

msscamp":qtrwszei said:
I understand now. I would continue to give him the packaged colostrum for the first 24 hours, then switch to a good milk replacer - make sure it is milk by products, not soy, and is at least 20% fat and protein - in small quanities (say a pint or maybe 2) every 3-4 hours. In a couple of days, as his stomach becomes accustomed to a larger amount of milk, gradually increase the quantity/feeding and start cutting down the number of feedings. Watch him closely for possible scours and adjust the amount of milk replacer accordingly. If cutting back the milk solves the scours problem, wonderful, if not give him a double dose of a good scour medication for the initial dose, then go back to the regular dosage if need be. In about a week, start introducing a handful of calf starter or COB and a tiny bit of hay. You might have to put a little bit of the grain in his mouth to begin with, and you might not - it just depends on the calf. I'm going to catch flack for this, but I'm not a big believer in the gallon of milk replacer/day that is recommended. I try to raise my bottle calves like their mother would as much as possible, and I generally give mine 2 gallons/day because that is what most of our beef milk cows gave. This is how I do it, and I hope it helps.

PS You know about the water thing, but you may not know to keep a good mineral available for this baby, too. Calves as young as a week old will eat mineral. I put mine in a half-barrel crystal-x tub that is kept in the shelter (not barn) provided for the calf.

Can't think of a thing I would add to that.

Alice

Travis B.":2ru9xq8a said:
Thanks for the help. We have another bottle calf now who is weaned and eating sweet feed daily. This calf should follow her eating feed and i hope he does. We have raised 5 out of 10 calves from the feedlot the last 3 years. It seems that these calves are just too premature and too little to make it. I sure hope this one does though. Thanks again!!!

Travis Bryan

No problem! :) Your weaned bottle calf will be invaluable in teaching this little guy to eat. ;-) I'm not sure being premature is what kills feedlot calves. I have read a couple of articles that stated - depending on how long the mother had been in the feedlot - that it was the hot feed that is fed in a feedlot environment. It burns the lining of the intestines in developing calves, thereby interfering with their ability to absorb nutrients and they die. According to these articles, one can tell a 'hot' calf by his unusual, 'sweet' breath. I hope this one makes it, too, good luck with him! :)

I'm not really sure what kills them either, just thought they might be premature(in fact I know some are), but the hot feed probably has something to do with it too.

Bryan Ranches

Alice":3ofn645a said:
msscamp":3ofn645a said:

Alice

Thank you, Alice. :)

msscamp":2hajzbde said:
Alice":2hajzbde said:
msscamp":2hajzbde said:

Alice

Thank you, Alice. :)

What can I say? It's true...and you are very welcome. :)

Alice

Well i am sorry to say that this calf died tonight. I went out to check him and found him laying in the sun breathing hard. I moved him into the shade and he coughed twice and died right there. He was doing good last night(took his whole bottle), but this morning he would not take it although i got about a pint in him. We gave him a shot of Nuflor but it did not help. I also noticed that his belly was swelled up really big. Does anyone know what caused this? Thanks!

Bryan Ranches

awwwwwww im so sorry i dont know what might have caused it im new to the whole cattle thing

Latest posts