Question for the Lady Ranchers

Help Support CattleToday:

:lol: This reminds me of the time I was at the feed store picking up horse feed....these two guys kept pulling on the door to go in saying "It's stuck" I walked up smiled real big and said "Gentlemen...try pushing" walked to the door and "pushed" it open with one finger! :lol: :lol: I thought the old coot that owned the place was going to croak he was laughing so hard![/quote]

hrslvr":rm16ymqd said:
:lol: This reminds me of the time I was at the feed store picking up horse feed....these two guys kept pulling on the door to go in saying "It's stuck" I walked up smiled real big and said "Gentlemen...try pushing" walked to the door and "pushed" it open with one finger! :lol: :lol: I thought the old coot that owned the place was going to croak he was laughing so hard!
[/quote]

Oh, oh that's priceless!! ROFLMAO!!

IMHO, A Woman has more patience and less hot temperment with Cattle than Men. I get short fused sometimes, and my wife can make a Cow do just about anything. I've learned to sit back and stay out of her way.

Crowderfarms":3domy7tl said:
IMHO, A Woman has more patience and less hot temperment with Cattle than Men.

It is evident you have never met me. My temper has a short fuse and it is always lit. One wrong move and you might as well add fuel to the fire.

It is getting better with age though.

I like to work alone. More people means more things to make that fuse burn faster. The cattle and I have an understanding. All goes well till someone else shows up. You see I dislike people ALOT. I also have the personality of a brick...which doesn't make me very compatable to anything other than rough stock.

You can do anything you want to do, Stephanie. And you're sure in the right place to get help doing it. Some real cattlewomen here at Cattle Today. Good luck.

It is evident you have never met me. My temper has a short fuse and it is always lit. One wrong move and you might as well add fuel to the fire.

I like to work alone. More people means more things to make that fuse burn faster. The cattle and I have an understanding. All goes well till someone else shows up. You see I dislike people ALOT. I also have the personality of a brick...which doesn't make me very compatable to anything other than rough stock. :roll: Well I HAVE met this young lady and in MY OPINION what she said above is bunk. You could not meet a more friendly or willing person to help you. ;-)

Cert - you offer too much good advice for me to believe how you describe yourself!

Another piece of advice - call your cattle everytime you feed. Yell something like Here Babe or Here Calf. They'll get use to it meaning something good and come to you anytime you call them. Is handy if you need one up for the vet or something.

When I call the cows up, I holler "mone girls" other day I did it, Mr Lilly started laffin at me. When I gave him that ??? look he said, "it just sounded like you said "Mongrels" :roll:

I sure appreciate the brawn around here, although there are times when I wish Honey would realise that even though I'm about the same height as him, I don't have the same upper body strength.

Try as I might, my kiwifruit-sized biceps can't come up with the power needed to but a prolapse back into a straining cow (got to try that again about a month ago - bleah).

Thank God for the men. "A-men!" :heart:

Take care.

My mother raised three children while taking care of 100 cows by herself. Now I am in my 30's and I help her. My husband is also not a cow lover. I married a city guy and he helps out around the place with anything but the cows.
We currently have 72 cows, so don't worry that a woman can't do it.
I do have some advice and if it is repeated I apologize, I only skimmed the other posts.
1) Find a good vet. This is critical for either a man or a woman just getting started with cows.
2) Calm your cows down and be tough culling for temperment. You'll thank yourself for that. There's enough nice cows in the world let someone else deal with the nuts.
3) Whether you name your cows or have their numbers as their names make sure they know their names.
4) Don't start out with older cows unless you know where they are coming from and how they've been treated. It's easier getting them young and training them to do things your way. I know a lot of people probably won't agree with me on that one but if you are out buying 5 year old cows they can come with baggage so check them out carefully.
5) In every herd of cows there will be a boss, know who she is and make her your best friend. A good boss cow will make your life safer and easier in so many ways. Of course you should always be at the top of the herd for pecking order.;)
6) Never forget that a cow in labour can act much differently than they normally do. So always be aware.
7) When you are out with your cows talk or sing to them. They'll get used to your voice and it will become calming to them.
8) When you hang out with them chew gum. Cows understand then that you are relaxed.

Your not nuts, I can't understand people who don't want to be around cows! ;-)

The neighbor lady is well into her 80s and runs a couple of hundred pairs split into 2 herds. She does the fence repair by herself, feeding by herself, cattle moving and managment all on her own. She hires in the haying from the neighbor "boys", they're in their 50's. She was widowed 15 years ago or so and runs the farm succesfully. The vet work she hires in also but her and the vet work the cattle by themselves. During the latest drought she sold down to only about 100-150 pairs. She checks the cows twice a day, driving the fields, somthing in the neighborhood of 500 acres. Has two breeding seasons and puts most of the cattleman around here to shame.

dun

certherfbeef":2etvcgc8 said:
Crowderfarms":2etvcgc8 said:
IMHO, A Woman has more patience and less hot temperment with Cattle than Men.

I like to work alone. More people means more things to make that fuse burn faster. The cattle and I have an understanding. All goes well till someone else shows up. You see I dislike people ALOT. I also have the personality of a brick...which doesn't make me very compatable to anything other than rough stock.

O.k. Cert, I'm calling you on this one. LA4angus would know better; I've only met you once, but I would say that you are definitely not the picture painted above. Ofcourse when you were working, I was well behind you and out of the way....good thing!

I actually think that women can do certain things better than men because of their temperment. Some generallizations here: most men go with the "I need a bigger hammer" approach, where most women go with the "hmm, how can I make this work" approach. JMO

Dang, I'm scared to meet Cert now.She might want to whoop me. :oops: And to think she sounds so laid back on the phone! She must be baiting me to use that Hot Stick on me.

I best advise I can give you is to just try it, and know when to ask for help when you need it. You can get hurt real bad working around a farm and with cattle, even if your careful. I always carry my cell phone just in case something does happen. I've had to use it a couple of times too, and let me tell you I was so glad I had it. Just be extra careful when your working alone.

You know Cert - you pretty much described yourself how I would describe myself. I like to work alone a lot of the times too. I think I get things done more effeciently when I work by myself sometimes. My motto is: Does not play well with others. :lol:

BTW - I don't think your THAT bad either.

I can in no way shape or form take credit for ever thang that gets done around here, but I do like workin by myself. I recently (last summer) quite my job to stay on the ranch full time. there was just way too much that was not getting done with both of us workin.
I go out daily, check fences, repair if needed, put out mineral and salt, tag calves (when I can get my hands on em). We have some heifers in a small pasture that I have to haul water to.
Sometimes I surprise myself at the things I can get accomplished by myself. And there's nothin that makes you feel better than to step back, and have that feelin of "I CAN DO IT!!!" might not be the conventional way that a man would do it, but I think whoever said it, women look at things differently, and go about getting them done differently too.
One example, I always have a pair of gloves, wear em when buildin fence or repairin fence. Yes they get hung up on the barbwire, but least it aint my hide. Mr Lilly refuses to wear em, says he can't feel what he's doin. He comes away from a job lookin like he's been in a cat fight. He absolutely hates buildin or patchin fence, and I dont mind it a bit. But very rarely do I come away bloody either.
He would be the first to tell you that I have wayyyy more patience when it comes to workin cows than he does. The last couple times we've had the cows in the lot workin em, I said, just sit on the fence and let me try somethin. It worked too!!! If you want them to go a certain direction, stand facin the cows, a lil to their flank side and look them directly in the eye, and point in the direction you want them to go. nine times outta ten that's where they'll go. Never hafta say a word when doin it. I had read that somewhere, and just thought I'd give it a try, now, (hehe) he says, "git in there and do yer thing"

Gee, Dun, and I was going to brag on how I take care of 35 pairs 90% by myself! :shock:
My husband admits to everyone that I can "read" cattle better than he ever thought of. Women observe better than men. We "generally" are better at heat detection & picking a cow ready to calve. I can move the cattle better than hubby.
Facilities - temperament - nutrition - health - facilities!
I can catch the whole herd, at any given moment, and sort out a single cow. I do have a "healer dog" that is a tremendous help as far as saving many footsteps - but pastures/paddocks are set up so cattle can be moved easily by 1 person & work facilites (not fancy) can be used by 1 person.
Know your cattle is good advise. Good luck.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2j3q91lq said:
Gee, Dun, and I was going to brag on how I take care of 35 pairs 90% by myself!

You don;t have any where near the years or miles on you that Beatrice has

dun

dun":1e7e1gdr said:
The neighbor lady is well into her 80s and runs a couple of hundred pairs split into 2 herds. She does the fence repair by herself, feeding by herself, cattle moving and managment all on her own. She hires in the haying from the neighbor "boys", they're in their 50's. She was widowed 15 years ago or so and runs the farm succesfully. The vet work she hires in also but her and the vet work the cattle by themselves. During the latest drought she sold down to only about 100-150 pairs. She checks the cows twice a day, driving the fields, somthing in the neighborhood of 500 acres. Has two breeding seasons and puts most of the cattleman around here to shame.

dun

Sounds like the type of woman who is an inspiration to both men and women.

:shock: WOW :shock: Thank you everyone for your advice...every bit helps! I have worked with horses alot in the past and I figured it wouldn't be too much harder to work with cattle ( at least I don't have to train them to saddle! :D ) but it does help to have encouragement from different sources when most people around me as I stated earlier think I'm nuts (except husband he is encouraging me to do whatever I want he just won't be able to help much). Thanks again everyone and I'll definitly be keeping this web site on my favorites list! :D

I have REALLY enjoyed reading these posts. I don't consider myself in the "real" cattleperson league as our numbers are quite small, about 20 give or take, but hey, a cow's a cow, right? Especially enjoyed JerseyLilly's comment about "pointing in the direction you want them to go"...it works...we have a very contrary little cow who despises going through the chute...the last time she had to, I said, "Ferdie, you're going in the chute, now get in there" and I pointed....darned if it didn't work! Made my day!

Latest posts