Question for the Lady Ranchers

Help Support CattleToday:

Our cows are embarrassing that way. Pointing works but what works even better is pointing while saying "Do you want a spanking? Now get your little butt in there!" They all know when we start threatening spankings we really mean it.

Victoria, that is priceless! I can just imagine some of the reactions from other people who heard you say that. :lol2:

Amen to that!

We also move our Longhorns around with verbal commands and pointing. They know what to do. When we move them down an alley if we have a gate to another pen open they will usually just go right into the pen on their own. Can also sort one out by calling their name. Don't know about other breeds, but Longhorns are easy to train and manage if you have a little cattle savvy and don't rush them...

Glad to know I'm not the only "nut" out there that can point and tell the girls to go there. My mentor just looks at me and shakes his head. But then I spend time with my cows every day and I enjoy them. If I knew more farmers around here I'd love helping them work cattle when it was time to get them up and in the chute.

Someone else mentioned always have a plan prior to .... and that is true... always have an "escape" plan in mind. I got run over this past June because I didn't get out of the cows way in time.... I've learned that my 5 foot 130 lb frame cannot turn a 1250 lb cow. I had multiple facial fractures and my entire face was blue/bruised for a couple of weeks.

Although one can get hurt on horses too, as last month I was riding and the horse got spooked and of course being in an english saddle I couldn't keep my balance when he did the 180 and I tried to hang onto the reins to get him to stop and got run over again... more facial fractures (black eyes/blue face again), he broke my upper dentures and knocked out my lower teeth so I really am singing, "all I want for xmas is my 2 front teeth" and I am sick of soup, and soft foods. Still have to wait 3 more weeks before I can go see about dentures though.

Good luck to you (I think when a person sets their mind to accomplish it, whether male or female, they can do it) and this board has a lot of fine people on it.

One of the reasons I used to love trail riding was to sit around the campfire at night and listen to the oldtimers tell all their tales and this board is like that. You can just glean all kinds of info and knowledge.

OUCH, you had some pretty rough injuries! Hope all are healing okay.

One problem I see with working around animals by oneself is that if something does happen, there's no one around to get help. Good reason to keep a cell phone in your pocket. Unless you're unconscious.

"Let's be careful out there..." (Hill Street Blues???)

Victoria,

I love the "chew gum" while around the cows suggestion. Hadn't thought of that one, but I can see how they could relate.

:) I too, have a hubby that is not into livestock. He was ever so impressed when he first saw me tube feed a sick calf,
give vaccinations or medications. :shock: He will help me
when ask, to do things like fix fence, sort calves, hold one down, :lol2: I am summoned to help the local kids with their
calves ( they want my opinion ;-) ) to pick out replacement
heifers, bull prospect, ect. ;-)

Just having the desire to do it and succeed is probably half the battle! Knowledge is power, and learning from your mistakes and making informed decisions will help you along the way. Just when you think you've "seen it all" something new will come up to confuse and confound you! I like the motto "don't panic". It's come to my rescue a time or two. Take a minute to think things through, do the best you can, and you can't go wrong! Don't sweat the small stuff!

Best of luck to you! We're all here to help if we can!

Stephanie:

Lots of good tips here. The suggestion of having user friendly working facilities cannot be emphasized enough! The other suggestion I will make is to attend (Hubby too) a Bud Williams stockmanship school. Also i would reccomend his 5 hr video ($100). For more info go to Bud's website http://www.stockmanship.com. Bud lives in Bowie Tx.

Remember: Whatever Woman can concieve and believe, Woman can achieve.

Best wishes and good luck.

Brock

10-4 on the Bud Williams school. I went thru it and would highly reccommend. It changed my whole approach on handling cattle.

msscamp,
It can be embarassing :oops: but only until they see how well it works.
Our vets are now used to it but I love the expressions of the vet students they bring out. :lol:

A6gal":1czhm42j said:
Victoria,

I love the "chew gum" while around the cows suggestion. Hadn't thought of that one, but I can see how they could relate.

I read about that one in some sort of cattle magazine and have been amazed at how well it works.

Texas PaPaw":lmrzfp2m said:
Stephanie:

Lots of good tips here. The suggestion of having user friendly working facilities cannot be emphasized enough! The other suggestion I will make is to attend (Hubby too) a Bud Williams stockmanship school. Also i would reccomend his 5 hr video ($100). For more info go to Bud's website http://www.stockmanship.com. Bud lives in Bowie Tx.

Brock

Unfortunately that website isn't working, I've never heard of him and wanted to check it out.

Well I will find out on being "on my own" this spring (I hope) when I have my place ready for my girls. My cattle are at my brothers farm now. I have helped my brother for the past four years, going to the farm around the first of April and staying thru November. He has had both knees replaced and needed someone to be his legs. We have learned to work smarter and he has a pretty good set up. When planning out your working pens, inside pens, waterers, etc. think about what is going to be the best way to get cattle in and out of these areas smoothly.
I had been "off the farm" for many years and honestly had been less interested in the cows when I was there, more focused on my horses. Since getting back "into it" I really got the bug and have ended up with cattle of my own. I have enjoyed working with the cows and look forward to having a small seedstock operation. I expect my brother will assist me when I need him and we have great vets in this area. A support system really is important.

Crowderfarms":1tq2khmk said:
Good luck with everything CKC. Sounds like you'll have your plate full for a while, but you sound real confident! ;-)
Thanks! I will take all the luck I can get. Never thought I would end up being a cow freak but I will admit that I am. Love being around them and the work is very satisfying. Beats the heck out of sitting at a desk! I did that for 30 years and I feel liberated now!
The planning and building of my barn and paddocks is a bit overwhelming, very glad to take advise and suggestions!

Crowderfarms":1m0pz33h said:
Good luck with everything CKC. Sounds like you'll have your plate full for a while, but you sound real confident! ;-)

The 2 biggest downfalls I've seen in life are over condifence and lack of confidence in ones self.

dun

dun":2i7qhsu9 said:
Crowderfarms":2i7qhsu9 said:

The 2 biggest downfalls I've seen in life are over condifence and lack of confidence in ones self.

dun
I have always learned more while listening than while talking. Has been an advantage to have a Dad and a big brother who have raised cattle most of their lives.
One thing I have learned tho in dealing with people is that common sense isn't common. ;-)

Victoria":13qdhzai said:
Texas PaPaw":13qdhzai said:
Stephanie:

Brock

Unfortunately that website isn't working, I've never heard of him and wanted to check it out.

Victoria

Sorry, i don't know how to post an active link. The kind that you can just click. I just typed in Stockmanship.com and it is working. Good luck and If I can be of further assistance, just let me know.

Merry Christmas to all

Brock

Latest posts