Question for the Lady Ranchers

Help Support CattleToday:

hrslvr

Reaction score
Hi!

I was wanting to know if there are any ladies on here that ranch by themselves? I want to run a few head of cattle when I buy a place and I expect that I will be "alone" when it comes to caring for the livestock. Dear hubby will try to help but is unfortunatly "animal handling skills challenged" he can deal with machinery but heaven forbid he try to help with my horses :roll: He does try but he can't figure out how to "read" them. Sooo....I figure I will be doing most stuff without help. Any tips you can give me would be great! Thanks!

Stephanie, I manage 20 head by myself. (Not alot, but enough). I've been around cattle most of my life, but have only been making the decisions and doing the work alone for the past 4 years. There are times when I have to call on friends to help out, but for the most part I do it alone.

As for tips, all I can say is "learn as you go". The most important thing is annual vaccinations, worming, salt and mineral. That cuts back on a lot of unnecessary health problems. Good pasture management cuts back on a lot of unnecesary work such as hauling and feeding hay. Keeping your fences in good shape cuts back on unnecessary problems too. The right equipment makes the job easier, working pens, chutes, trailers, etc. It's a lot of work but if you enjoy animals, being outdoors and hard work, then you can do it.

Of course, this board is a great place to go for advice when the unexpected arises and it always does!

Cindy

While I'm not technically alone (Dad is around), there are a lot of times that I am working cows by myself. The best advice I can give you for single-handed operation is to think long and hard about your corrals, alleys, gates, etc., so you are ABLE to do it alone. Our corrals are set up so that 1 person can not only run the cattle into the alleyway for whatever needs to be done, but can also actually sort them alone. The chute can also be handled by one person when necessary.

Excellent advice by msscamp and A6gal...I don't do it entirely alone, as my husband does the tractor stuff (aaack! the time for me to learn that is coming!!!).
1. Emphasis on using gates and corrals, etc., so that you can move them WHEN you need to WHEN you need to (even if it means bringing them into a pen everyday to eat a bit of grain just to get them used to coming in)...can be very frustrating otherwise (when the vet's coming, mine had better be penned up, cause if they see her truck in the driveway, it's all over but the cryin'...me, that is).
2. Have enough hay on hand before you need it. Hard when you run out in January and need to get enough to last you through the cold months.
2. Have a reliable water supply, for wintertime especially (no fun dragging hoses out in snow and ice, but sometimes you have to do it).
3. Line up a vet before you get your stock so you're ready, just in case. Ask your vet to give you some "adult supervision" on giving shots, as well as what to look for to determine if a cow/calf is sick. Get a thermometer and use it before calling the vet cause they always want to know the animal's temp.
4. Have some resource telephone numbers on hand...extension agent, hay supplier, vet, emergency helpers, etc.
5. Keep a couple of good heavy duty flashlights and batteries on hand. You will need them.
6. Last, but not least, bookmark this website!
You may already know most of this stuff since you have horses. I'm still learning more each day, thanks to this site.

Something else that I just thought of is, when you get your cattle spend as much time as possible just watching them. If you know what they look like and how they act, it's a whole lot easier to tell when one is coming down sick with something and you can head it off at the pass before it gets to the major time/medication stage. Plus, the better you know your cattle the better prepared you will be and the easier it will to handle them. I hope that makes sense.

:D Thanks Ladies! Ya'll have helped greatly! If only to inspire me even more that I can run livestock myself (even though my family, friends and co-workers think I am nuttier than a fruit cake! :lol: ) I am hoping to purchase around 20 to 50 acres, get the fencing,working pens, misc. equipment and such up and ready to go, THEN find a good vet if the one that will be taking care of my horses doesn't do cattle, AND THEN start looking at purchasing 5-6 head to start off with. I'm thinking cow/calf pairs of the breed of my choosing preferably already rebred...

hrslvr":f1jd2b6d said:
:D Thanks Ladies! Ya'll have helped greatly! If only to inspire me even more that I can run livestock myself (even though my family, friends and co-workers think I am nuttier than a fruit cake! :lol: ) I am hoping to purchase around 20 to 50 acres, get the fencing,working pens, misc. equipment and such up and ready to go, THEN find a good vet if the one that will be taking care of my horses doesn't do cattle, AND THEN start looking at purchasing 5-6 head to start off with. I'm thinking cow/calf pairs of the breed of my choosing preferably already rebred...

If you're going to be doing pairs, I would advise to stay away from 2 and 3 year olds.....While any animal can have problems, 2 year olds have the highest incidence of calving problems. 3 year olds are lower as far as problems are concerned, but is still a little higher than 4 and up. Something else to keep in mind - when you go to look at the cows, walk among them. If they throw their heads up and take off, become aggressive or do anything other than calmly move away from you as you approach - leave them there. Skittish or ill-tempered cows are not worth the trouble.

Thanks msscamp! I will add that to my list of what I am looking for when shopping for a good cow....would older cows also be a "watch out" item? How old would be too old? Does it depend on breed?

hrslvr":3f7phood said:
Thanks msscamp! I will add that to my list of what I am looking for when shopping for a good cow....would older cows also be a "watch out" item? How old would be too old? Does it depend on breed?

While cattle can produce up til 16, 17, 18 years old and older I don't think you want that age. I think I would try to stick to 4-6, maybe a year or so older if she was very good and raised good calves. That would give you a lot of years of production with, ideally, very few problems. She would have to be exceptional and raise some extremely good calves for me to consider a cow in the 9, 10 or older age bracket. But, again, just my thoughts.

I agree with all the advise you have gotten. Especially the corral system & being able to sort them out by yourself. That is one problem that I have had enough of ( being run over by a cow ten to fifteen time bigger then me that doesn't want to go where I want it to). Be real sure to pick very docile cows to begin with. The one thing you want to think about is with cow/calf the problems you can have with calving. It is terribly dissapointing to lose a cow or calf so, make sure you read all you can get your hands on about calving before you need the information & make good notes to look back at frequently when you want to reassure yourself or know when to get help. Very good mineral program & vaccinations will help support a healthy herd. Train them to come up for feeding to the corral at least once a day even just for a treat so when you need to pen them up they will be alot easier to persuade. But also always let them know You are the boss, not them so they don't get pushy around you. Good luck

hslvr,
I would suggest you buy seedstock from a local producer. Someone you can trust, someone who will not "steer" you wrong. Someone with manageable cattle, not highheaded flighty or agressive. Someone that will back their cattle and is knowledgable about the background of those cattle.

One other piece of advise I can give...it was touched on in the eairler posts...
sit with the cattle, learn the way they react and interact with you and the rest of the herd when they are open and when they have a calf at side. If you know the way the cattle act and look normally you will be able to catch a sick one or one that just doesn't act right in a more timely manner and solve a problem before it becomes a serious one.

AND, another thing...think through the handleing of the cattle before you attempt it. Not just the first time but, every time. It you don't think a cow or calf can get thru or over it...tie the gate one more time. Work the cattle slow and easy, no yelling or fast movements. That will only cause injuries and frustration.

If you have anymore questions I'm sure any of us will be more than willing to help ya out.
Remember: anything a man can do you can do better. Maybe not faster but smarter. ;-)

Texan":17z7u32h said:
certherfbeef":17z7u32h said:
Remember: anything a man can do you can do better. Maybe not faster but smarter. ;-)
:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

You can laugh all you want to, Texan. It's a proven fact that when one does not have brawn, one better know how to use one's brain! ;-)

msscamp":2po6ybyk said:
Texan":2po6ybyk said:
certherfbeef":2po6ybyk said:

You can laugh all you want to, Texan. It's a proven fact that when one does not have brawn, one better know how to use one's brain! ;-)

He knows Msscamp. He is in denile.

certherfbeef":223edcb5 said:
msscamp":223edcb5 said:
Texan":223edcb5 said:
certherfbeef":223edcb5 said:

Rationalization.....What a wonderful thing! ;-)

Gee, Ladies. I don't know what could have happened. :oops: I think I clicked the wrong deal. Three times. Maybe?

Of course, I meant it to look like this:

certherfbeef":39uv2fi8 said:
:nod: :nod: :nod:

certherfbeef":vt185x8t said:
msscamp":vt185x8t said:
Texan":vt185x8t said:
certherfbeef":vt185x8t said:

Now that IS funny!

Too many good cattlewomen out there to think they are weak foolish valley women. I know more than a few good ones and am proud to call many "friend".

Bez!

Texan":wonfdy9p said:
Gee, Ladies. I don't know what could have happened. :oops: I think I clicked the wrong deal. Three times. Maybe?

Of course, I meant it to look like this:

certherfbeef":wonfdy9p said:
:nod: :nod: :nod:

Uh huh....and I've got some prime seaside land for sale.....in ARIZONA!!! :roll:

Latest posts