Question for bucking bull breeders

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
We have discussed the merits, epd's, phenotype, genotype etc. of beef bulls but I have always been curious in what you bucking bull breeders look for phenotypically in a bucking bull. I know athleticism is important but what about muscling, legs, feet, top line shoulders, hide, etc.? Is there a favorite breed cross? Is there a blood line (purebred) that stands out for producing good bucking bulls? How does your selection process differ from buying good beef breeding stock? I look forward to the comments.

I v rode ( or tried to ride ) enough to know every stock contracter 's got a differnt opinian on every question you asked . Have you looked at the price of a good straw of semen ?

HOSS":23n0xb39 said:
We have discussed the merits, epd's, phenotype, genotype etc. of beef bulls but I have always been curious in what you bucking bull breeders look for phenotypically in a bucking bull. I know athleticism is important but what about muscling, legs, feet, top line shoulders, hide, etc.? Is there a favorite breed cross? Is there a blood line (purebred) that stands out for producing good bucking bulls? How does your selection process differ from buying good beef breeding stock? I look forward to the comments.
My husband picked the brain of bucking bull breeder before he passed away and he basicaly said what Turbo did...every contractor has a different answer..one things for sure, there is money to be had if your stock becomes successful.

What I am curious about is...whats also considered a good cross on a bucking bull..regarding a cow..now thats something I dont recall my husband asking. Bulls just half the equation. :D

spinandslide":2hm2dadu said:
HOSS":2hm2dadu said:
My husband picked the brain of bucking bull breeder before he passed away and he basicaly said what Turbo did...every contractor has a different answer..one things for sure, there is money to be had if your stock becomes successful.

What I am curious about is...whats also considered a good cross on a bucking bull..regarding a cow..now thats something I dont recall my husband asking. Bulls just half the equation. :D
i would think that a good brahman influence crossbred cow, would do the trick.. i saw a heifer out of a top bucking bull that went for 90.000 dollars on RFD ... little mongrel looking outfit, would have done good to bring 350.00 at the barn ;-)

ALACOWMAN":2rcsaxw4 said:
spinandslide":2rcsaxw4 said:
HOSS":2rcsaxw4 said:

i would think that a good brahman influence crossbred cow, would do the trick.. i saw a heifer out of a top bucking bull that went for 90.000 dollars on RFD ... little mongrel looking outfit, would have done good to bring 350.00 at the barn ;-)
diff'strokes for diff' folks I guess...bloodlines versus actual weight...$1000 per straw is sure expensive, when compared to beef bulls, but when the oppurtunity exisits to produce a top selling heifer/bull, thats not alot. I imagine bucking bull breeders put more stock in the bulls then the cows though..but I dont know. Seems like an interesting business.

The top reining and cutting horses in the country command stud fees of $7500 to $25,000..some even higher..and hell if you'll get that outta the resulting foal without putting months of pro training into them. :(

well the bloodline was her saving grace.. cause she would'nt have made a decent feeder. its cheaper to buy those colts then to raise em too. time you figure every thing in, and then you start going blind

Just GENETICS..... I run bucking stock and I started with good F1 Tigerstripe cows and bred them straight to YellowJacket...pretty successful since he does have 6 sons in the top 45 PBR bulls.

TexBrangus":9cad3kcx said:
Just GENETICS..... I run bucking stock and I started with good F1 Tigerstripe cows and bred them straight to YellowJacket...pretty successful since he does have 6 sons in the top 45 PBR bulls.
was that A.I ...and sexed semen

I find raising bucking stock fascinating. I will pose this question. How in the be nice do you collect the semen?? Surely those bulls aren't led in by a halter the way most beef sires are?? I know what makes the bulls buck and act PO'd at the world, but don't tell me they are that tame.

bandit80":hcpkhih3 said:
I find raising bucking stock fascinating. I will pose this question. How in the be nice do you collect the semen?? Surely those bulls aren't led in by a halter the way most beef sires are?? I know what makes the bulls buck and act PO'd at the world, but don't tell me they are that tame.

Bandit...you have to be very quick, very nimble and have big balls...Needless to say I would be no help. :lol: :lol:

bandit80":j8vcoici said:
you'd be suprized at how gentle they are.their handled probably as much as one at the stud.

Hoss, I've been interested in the bucking biz since I was young and some on this board would still say I am but I learned by just soaking it in by being around some notable breeders.

Conformation wise you want sound legs,feet and sturcture just like beef cattle. They gotta last on the road. I heard a respected breeder say that he didnt like bulls who's scrotum hung too low as he thought they tended to be lazy. Basically you want them tight made without too long of backs as they are prone to injury. But the #1 rule in the business is If he/she bucks or produces buckers thats all that matters. Genetics play a role now w/ the registry and abbi but there are papered cattle that dont buck period. As w/ the PB business pedigree is only holds that much wieght but gives you better %.
As for a PB that sticks out. Brahman crosses are normally in the mix if you want to be tech. Also, fighting bulls lines have produced some good ones, actually one of the most notable lines goes back to a mexican fighting bull. Another great line looks to have some White Park in them.
The business is still a preformance game so if your salebarn stud kicks the lights out he/she is welcome in the bucking world. And even more if they produce buckers too! Hope this helps, If you have other questions I can answer them or direct you to someone who can.

TexasBred":3kf5llm2 said:
bandit80":3kf5llm2 said:

Bandit...you have to be very quick, very nimble and have big balls...Needless to say I would be no help. :lol: :lol:

Well, I would only have one of them covered. :lol2:

bandit80":2r0yys8x said:
Just wondering what you think makes these bulls buck?
And I've seen a good bucking bull in a 12x12 with 7 yr old on his back scratching him no halter needed. These bulls know the game they are playing and have different personalities just like other animals.

Brandname-I have heard the same thing regarding the bulls. My husband was interested in raising them, hence him talking to the breeder. This breeder was an Ex Bull rider and had had a pretty good bucking bull breeding program(he said) and supplied to alot of rodeos. And I cant remember his name..he lived down the road from us. I was very nervous about this idea of raising bulls to buck, I envisioned bulls running you down, mowing through fences and causing trouble. HE set me straight. :D Said that the bulls each have individuaol personalities, like beef cattle, and that they come to know what is expected of them in the arena. Needless to say, we never got to it, as the breeder died and other things took priority.

I think it is facinating business.

Texbrangus- What are some other "good" bulls that are producing for y'all? I thought I remembered seeing one of Bodacious' sons at a rodeo, but I cant remember where/when it was or how he did..

BrandName1":3o22206e said:
Hoss, I've been interested in the bucking biz since I was young and some on this board would still say I am but I learned by just soaking it in by being around some notable breeders.

Conformation wise you want sound legs,feet and sturcture just like beef cattle. They gotta last on the road. I heard a respected breeder say that he didnt like bulls who's scrotum hung too low as he thought they tended to be lazy. Basically you want them tight made without too long of backs as they are prone to injury. But the #1 rule in the business is If he/she bucks or produces buckers thats all that matters. Genetics play a role now w/ the registry and abbi but there are papered cattle that dont buck period. As w/ the PB business pedigree is only holds that much wieght but gives you better %.
As for a PB that sticks out. Brahman crosses are normally in the mix if you want to be tech. Also, fighting bulls lines have produced some good ones, actually one of the most notable lines goes back to a mexican fighting bull. Another great line looks to have some White Park in them.
The business is still a preformance game so if your salebarn stud kicks the lights out he/she is welcome in the bucking world. And even more if they produce buckers too! Hope this helps, If you have other questions I can answer them or direct you to someone who can.
i could see where it might be more painful for them if their scrotum hung too low slappin' around and bangin' on their legs. and make em not buck as hard, can't see why it would make em lazier though.... but never know

Thanks for all the good comments. It seems that there is money in the bucking stock but probably allot of cost in development, infrastructure and probably a hefty upfront capital investment. I looked up some semen sales on bucking stock and saw that most start at 300 per straw. I was surprised to see several with limo influence. Seems that that added size and muscle. I am curious as to what most riders prefer. My brother-in-law rode bulls on the circuit for several years and he feared the smaller faster bulls over the big heavy, muscled brutes. Said the big uns were much more powerful but the smaller bulls with fighting blood were much quicker and harder to avoid once thrown off.

I will try to help I have been in the bussiness a few years, but have been around buckers for several years. Let me start off saying just because cattle are considered bucking stock does not mean they are wild and crazy. Breeders actually perfer their cattle to be easy to handle. We all know the easier to handle our cattle the less stress it is on them. What we do perfer is athletism and most of all genetics.I have been around the top 45 PBR (Profesional Bull Rider) bulls at one time and all but a hand full were very gentile. A large percentage would let you touch them while they ate in the hay racks. These bulls are worked every week of their lifes sometimes daily. They are athletes and they know when it is "Game time". Yes, their are some out there that would kill you if given the chance. More often the females are the one with a little more atitude. Every bucking stock cow I have been around wants nothing to do with you in the pasture. The only time I have had any problem is while working theses cattle in small pens. It seems to me these cows are so nervous their "flight or fight" kicks in. Yes, you do need good working pens and a few cc's of ACE when trying to AI or embryo tranfer these girls. It is like I said earlier the bucking stock industry has change from mean, wild and crazy to easy to handle, athletic and genetics. The money from raising this kind of cattle is like anything else, it come from the entertainment industry. It can be very costly to get into with straws of semen running in the neighborhood of $300 to $1,000 dollars a straw. I hope this helps yall out.

Latest posts