Question about needle sizes

Help Support CattleToday:

Cattle Baroness

Reaction score
How do you determine what gauge needle to use as well as which length? I am getting ready to do a round of vaccinations and can not remember what size needle to use.
Thanks for the help!
dawn

Dawn, I use 18x3/4 for vaccines and 16x3/4 for thicker liquids . Probably more of a personal preference than anything . Hope that helps .

Larry

We use 16 guage X 1" for all of our vaccines & de-wormers. The 16 ga has a big enough hole so you can inject quickly. We also only inject SC (sub-cutaneously) and do not do any IM injections.

Some animals are jumpy with vaccination sticking, others barely notice they have been stuck. Also helps to rub site before and after injection to help desensitize the site.

Another note: We use disposable needles. Use a new one for each vaccine and each animal. Also use one disposable syringe for each formulation and discard the syringe after working that group that day. We pay about .19 cents for each needle buying them in boxes of 100 from online Vet supply houses.

I don't use 16x1 on calves if I don't have to. I feel like I am harpooning them. :cry:
Sometimes, as is stated, for the thicker meds ~ you just have to (16 x 3/4).
Normally 18x3/4.

Cattle Baroness":277vmj6i said:
How do you determine what gauge needle to use as well as which length? I am getting ready to do a round of vaccinations and can not remember what size needle to use.
Thanks for the help!
dawn

The higher the gauge, the smaller the bore, the harder it is to inject thicker medications such as penicillin. We rarely used a needle longer than 1/2" - less tendency to bend/break on tough skinned animals and, if you're a tenter, it's harder to go all the way through when injecting subq. 18 gauge for thinner medications/vaccinations, 14 or 16 for penicillin. Just what worked for us.

Running Arrow Bill

Just curious why you do all your injections sub Q and not IM? I'm here to learn.

Cloverbell
Vanleer, Tennessee

angie":2ov9vi1b said:
I don't use 16x1 on calves if I don't have to. I feel like I am harpooning them. :cry:
Sometimes, as is stated, for the thicker meds ~ you just have to (16 x 3/4).
Normally 18x3/4.

Well :oops: we just processed and pregchecked some of our cows yesterday in prep. for pinkeye season and let me tell you what an 18 gauge feels like if you haven't had the pleasure. It feels like a wasp sting :oops: but the after effect is worse.
How do I know this? :oops: Somehow I did something stupid I guess, I don't really know how it happened, and the cow wasn't squeezed enough and jumped forward. The gun went flying out of the cow, hit the end of the vac. hose and landed right into my leg. At first I just said owww and went on with the processing. :oops: I didn't realize it had actually punctured just felt like a light prick that sometimes happens with needles to the fingers. It wasn't until I felt the after affect that I went to rub the spot and noticed that my jeans were saturated with blood (was wearing black jeans, not easy to see red). That sucker went threw my jeans and and inch into my thigh somehow hitting a vein. What can I say, if you are going to do something you might as well do it well. :oops: My leg bled like I had lost a limb and it swelled to the point of sweatpants for the remainder of the processing. I have a glorious 2 and 1/2 inch by 1 inch bruise, very colorful and I am vaccinated now :lol: .
In all seriousness, we do use 18 gauge when it is a thick fluid and 20 gauge for thin fluid. Those are the two gauges we keep around for the cattle and hogs.
Double R

18 ga for vaccines & thin meds - 16 ga for thicker meds. 3/4" for SQ & 1" for IM. There are still "some" meds that require IM and it is recommended to give "deep" injections.
If you are at all concerned about Beef Quality Assurance Programs - or just care about the after-effect of shots, you will use as many products as possible that require SQ injections. SQ shot is given between the layer of skin & the muscle. Cattle may get knots, but the MEAT is not affected. IM (in the muscle) shots can ruin a patch of meat. ALL shots should be given in the neck region. If you have to give an IM shot, you may ruin the least valuable meat.
It has been proven that even shots given to newborns in the rump/hind leg region, may have ruined spots in the meat when processed.

Latest posts