Kenny Thomas": Question about Fescue.

Help Support CattleToday:

I'm pretty sure that they need to be raised on fescue but I wouldn't mind looking at them if the price is good.
They may have arrived in GA young enough to be ok.
Most of these 20, we have gotten since October. A few out of the panhandle, and some just below the Ga Fla line down I-75. I doubt there was any fescue much to speak of at either place. We want all of them open, but 6 are bred, either to a Chianina bull or to a Chi-Angus bull, and will calve in January. Right now, they are turned out with the Corriente herd on the dove field. That field is in the middle of 400 acres of row crop land where he raises beans, peanuts and cotton, and it is all fenced in. He is just letting them all run on that 400 acres, since the crops are all in now. There is some fescue and clover along the field edges , and there is about 20 acres of pecans that had creeping red fescue planted under the trees. We will bring the Brahmas to the owner's place after the first of the year once the cross fencing and building is done. This pasture is all bermuda though, with rye over seeded in September that they will graze til the Bermuda kicks in around April. Reckon this is enough fescue exposure to tell if they will do ok further north in an all fescue scenario? Tell me again what the problems can be with cattle put on fescue that came from a non-fescue area? All my life I have traded in cattle from south Ga, Fla, LA, etc., and used to all Corrientes came out of Mexico that we used for rodeo and team ropings. I never knew of any problems these had. Or maybe they did and we just didn't know about fescue problems? I have always known to never feed brood mares fescue, but had not heard about cattle til talking with you.