Question about my cow

Help Support CattleToday:

cow raiser's helper

Reaction score
We have a female that is 10 months old and she has started having real soft stools. She is eating and drinking well. She stretches when she gets up and has energy. We are keeping hay in front of her to eat constantly. We are buying hay from the same field she was born and weaned on. We have three other cows and their stools are what we know as normal. We have cut her grain back and that hasn't changed it. She had three penicillin shots. We have been bringing her into the barn at night since it has gotten colder but we do not have snow or anything cold like that. Is this normal when the weather gets colder? Is there something else we can give her?

Thank-you for any advise.

Loretta

We purchased two calves and brought them home in November. When she got a runny nose we treated all of the cows. The others were fine after the third shot but her stools just have not gotten solid as they were.

No , we have not wormed her. The farmer we got her from does not seem to be concerned about her and he is a good guy. I am since she is an investment to me and good cows are not easy to come by and we are supposed to breed her in March or April.

How loose is loose? Squirty loose or just drooly loose? Is she a big water drinker? If all else is normal, I would just keep an eye on herr and not worry unless she's squirty loose or gets that way.
But I'm a big believer in benign neglect. Care when it's called for, but not everyting requires intervention.

dun

i agree with dun. if loose is watery loose than i would say you have a possible problem, but otherwise i would just keep em wormed, fed and an eye on them... if she starts loosing weight then i would take it further.

some cows just have looser stools than others.

jmo

jt

Thank-you for the reply. It is not watery loose now and she drinks more than five gallons of water on most days. I am trying not to treat her as a pet but I did not grow up on a farm. Once my mom left the farm she never went back therefore we grew up in the city. My husband grew up raising small amounts of cows but hasn't since he was in his teens. He finally has the time and the help to do this and I want him to have his success.

What kind of hay is she eating?

I've noticed that the consistency of manure tends to change when animals go from one type of hay to another, or hay to pasture, or simply as they grow older. And, if they get stressed you'll see a change as well. In dairy cows on silage, you're not going to see firm cow pies. Their manure is really runny.

I'm like Dun, if it aint broke, don't fix it - kind of attitude. BUT, since you gave her Pen, she may just need to build up good bugs in her stomach again. Pen kills good bugs along with the bad ones. If you're worried, you can give her Probias or one of the many products out there that is lactobacillus (good bugs). But good ole hay will get her bugs working good.

I doubt that it's Johne's... that would be a very significant weight loss and very loose stools.

I wouldn't worry about it.. perhaps it's just the weather change. But keep an eye on her to make sure she continues to do well.

If she is not having watery diarrheal manure, not losing weight, and has a good appetite, then give it some time. Cut out the grain and give her free choice good quality hay. If she is drylotted, let her out to roam around the pasture, it may help reduce stress. If you adjust her diet, reduce her stress, and give it some time and she continues to have symptoms that are concerning to you, then by all means, consult your veterinarian.