Question about Mower/Conditioners....

Help Support CattleToday:

SSS Angus

Reaction score
What are the Pro's/Con's of rubber/steel rollers versus an impeller? You don't see many conditioners set up with an impeller so I was curious if the impeller tends to over condition?

SSS Angus":2ubj4esl said:
What are the Pro's/Con's of rubber/steel rollers versus an impeller? You don't see many conditioners set up with an impeller so I was curious if the impeller tends to over condition?

I will never buy another cutter with the rubber rollers or the steel roller conditioners.

Have replaced 4 rollers in the past two years at $2,000 each and have one to replace now..................

Its my understanding that leafy crops like alfalfa cannot be run through a flail style conditioner (I think thats what you mean by impeller, right?) You'll lose many leaves. But in grasses, they apparently can't be beat.

This is not firsthand information, but rather information from trusted sources who own them.

Rod

MikeC":4ag6dam3 said:
SSS Angus":4ag6dam3 said:

I will never buy another cutter with the rubber rollers or the steel roller conditioners.

Have replaced 4 rollers in the past two years at $2,000 each and have one to replace now..................

MikeC It's for cutting hay not wood..... :lol: :shock:
In your other post you try to process lumber. Is it the machine or the operator ????????? :lol: :lol: :shock:

gendronf":3n7gm8ks said:
MikeC":3n7gm8ks said:
SSS Angus":3n7gm8ks said:

MikeC It's for cutting hay not wood..... :lol: :shock:
In your other post you try to process lumber. Is it the machine or the operator ????????? :lol: :lol: :shock:

This field was cleared about ten years ago and fescue was planted. Obviously they didn't get all the sticks up before planting.

The sticks are covered with fescue sod and impossible to see. If you know anything about hedge, bois d'arc, or whatever you want to call it, it doesn't rot. Ever, I think. If these sticks had been oak or hickory, etc. they wouldn't have hurt anything.

Needless to say, we pulled out of this field and started on another.

What brand of cutter/conditioner are you running Mike,I have had 3 New Holland 488's and never have had any problems with the rubber rollers..............good luck
PS caint beat the price.........problem is,transporting them.

HAY MAKER":y50en88a said:
What brand of cutter/conditioner are you running Mike,I have had 3 New Holland 488's and never have had any problems with the rubber rollers..............good luck
PS caint beat the price.........problem is,transporting them.

2 JD's (made by Kuhn) and a Vicon.

Like Haymaker, I have never had any problem with my NH rubber rollers and they've eaten plenty of sticks :lol: .

She ain't the fastest mower on the planet but it's like them Timex watch commercials, takes a lickin and keeps on tickin.

Howdy,

JD 920 impeller here. Works great through any crop. (orchard grass, fescue, orchard grass/alfalfa, alfalfa, brome,)

Impeller style conditioning just takes more tractor HP than roller.

Latest posts