Question about keeping cow in fence

Help Support CattleToday:

VtMapleGal

Reaction score
One of my fears came true today. The snow has been melting and i got a call at work, my cow got out of the pasture. We have electric fence, but one side of the fence is not electrified. She went between the 3 strands. After calling her and feeding small amounts of grain and trying to get a hand on her halter, she finally decided to go back through the fence on her own. My question is....will she keep trying to go through the fence there? We still cant get the darn thing to lead, so if i caught her i dont think i could lead her to the barn any ways. She dont pull from me she just doesnt go forward...will putting up more "flaggin" on the fence help? She will be in a much bigger pasture this summer, and i dont want her to try and get out while she is there.

VtMapleGal":4ncenzde said:
One of my fears came true today. The snow has been melting and i got a call at work, my cow got out of the pasture. We have electric fence, but one side of the fence is not electrified. She went between the 3 strands. After calling her and feeding small amounts of grain and trying to get a hand on her halter, she finally decided to go back through the fence on her own. My question is....will she keep trying to go through the fence there? We still cant get the darn thing to lead, so if i caught her i dont think i could lead her to the barn any ways. She dont pull from me she just doesnt go forward...will putting up more "flaggin" on the fence help? She will be in a much bigger pasture this summer, and i dont want her to try and get out while she is there.

You now have a fence crawler - and yes - she knows how to get out - so she will.

That is why tight fences and powered electric fences with excellent ground are required. Three strands are suitable for cross fence or range fence - but not suitable for boundary fence - especially in your part of the world - add a string or better two - and stretch it tight. Or add some electricity to that fence line - or get used to round up and rodeo.

You could put a collar on her - but if she decides to walk through, she will simply tear the wire down.

Suspect she is after feed - give her more than she can eat - they seldom leave feed - unless the grass is starting to green up.

Herd animals also need another for company - one alone is trouble with a capital T.

As for leading - well if this a mature cow - good luck. Tie her to a tractor and start pulling - after about a week she might be good on a string - but personally I would not even waste my time.

Build better fences, get her a friend and teach her to love the bucket - then put your water in a solid pen - you will always be able to catch her.

Infrastructure - vital and usually not paid enough attention to - good luck - others will have more for you.

Bez>

You'd better nip that one in the bud. You'll be getting that call quite regularly if you don't. 3 strands don't cut it. 4 strands don't cut it either. 5 strands is acceptable for cross fence but I use better than that on perimeter fencing.

We have 5.5' perimeter fence with 8 barb wires. Cross fences 5.5' with 7 barb wires. Never had one get out... Of course, we feed them well and keep our different groups with buddies so they don't get lonely...especially true for bulls...bulls need one or more females (bred or not) to keep them content...

;-)

VtMapleGal":2ens5jt8 said:
My question is....will she keep trying to go through the fence there?

She now knows she can escape, and she will continue to do it until you do something to stop her. Either electrify the fence - and make it HOT! - or take down the electric fence and replace it with at least 5 strands of barbed wire, 6 is better, if you can't electrify it. Since you have now taught her to fencecrawl that particular section, I'm not sure I would count on an electric fence holding her - she is liable to jump through the fence the first time she encounters it electrified, should you choose to go that route. As far as teaching her to lead, check out the showboard - there is lots of stuff about teaching to lead on there.

Latest posts