Question about Hydraulic oil

Help Support CattleToday:

kerley

Reaction score
Does it wear out. Since hydraulic oil is under pressure in a sealed system with an approved filter, could you just change the filter and add oil ? Or should you just change the oil ? I sure would like some input as Hydraulic oil is very expensive. Also how about additives for hydraulic systems ?Thanks Tom :cboy:

I'm not a mechanic (but I play one at home). It seems to me that hydraulic oils under normal conditions should last a long time. I do know that temperature plays a big role around longevity. Fortunately, all of my equipment leaks so the fluids are replaced constantly. If that ain't good equipment management, I don't know what is! :D

as far as i know it lasts for ever.you fill it up when it gets low.an if you blow a line you shoot alot out till you shut her down.

Mr. Kerley, I would stay away from additives to your oil. The oil must be compatible with the "O"-rings and seals (or vice-versa). Most of the additives I've seen advertised say they stop leaks. They do that by softening the rubber in the seals and sometimes it works for a short period of time. Then the seals really get hard and you wind up with more trouble than you had before.

Wouldn't worry about changing it so often unless it gets dirty (don't know how that happens) or is run really hot.

Earl Thigpen":co06yhxv said:
Wouldn't worry about changing it so often unless it gets dirty (don't know how that happens) or is run really hot.

Gotta disagree - change it at least as often as manufacturer recommends, and more often if run hard or dirty. No system is more intolerant of contamination, and boy will you pay if you ruin a pump or valve system. There is a reason it is expensive.

i agree with Alx. Normal wear and tear in your system can generate lots of small metal particles that will destroy your pump. Filter changes are a must along with the fluid.

We change the hydrolic oil every year in our loader tractor and then every so often in other tractors. When the oil is golden its fine. Whenit is creamy and white it needs to be changed. We have to change them because over the winter and such condensation forms inside and and water mixes with the oil and makes it bad. It should be changed in high used hydrolic stystems such as a tractor with a loader or one that the hydrolics are used on a daily basis, it should be done reguraly jsut like regular oil. It never hurts to change it and the filter every so often, it jsut takes time and $40 or so for oil and then a new filter. It definately helps in the winter if you live in a cold place like in northwest iowa. If you don't have the water mixed with the oil the lines don't freeze and it takes less time to warm up and is easier on the tractor. Jsut my thoughts

All the tractors I've seen have the filter/s on the suction side. Industrial systems have filters on the pressure/ output side some being as low as 5 micron. With the filter being on the suction side most filters start at about 35 micron on up to 55 micron. That can allow some pretty large particles through. So if a tractor has wet brakes that are worn to the metal (and that can sometimes be hard to detect) and it gets in the hydraulic system then there's metal circulating in the system. If the steering unit shares the same fluid and metal gets in that it can be very costly. Once the system gets contaminated the only way to clean is to keep flushing with new hyd. oil. The oil used to flush the system has to be dumped and refilled until no more particles show up. On a big tractor that can cost $1,000 or more just in hyd. oil.

A few years back I put together a filter system to use on the pressure side and can use it on any tractor with remotes. The first filter is a 2 micron and the other filter traps water. When I use it (about twice a year on each tractor) I figure gal. per minute of the pump and oil cap. and run the tractor long enough to make sure all the oil has had time to get through the filters. When I finish I remove the filter bowl and take a look at the filter to see what it's picked up. Then I decide if I need to change oil. If the oil is starting to darken the 2 micron filter will clean it up some. All I've seen in the filter so far is wet brake pad particles. If I ever see metal I'll know I have a problem that needs to be found fast.

I'm with ALX. Hydraulic oil should be changed at least as often as the manufacturer recommends. It does break down over time, especially if it gets warm. I usually blow at least one hydraulic line per year, so I end up refreshing the system once a year :lol: I do change the filters at least once per year, if not the oil.

Rod

As cheap as I am I change the filter once a year. Since the filter is at the lowest point in the system the fluid gets changed at the same time.

For the tractors I have, John Deere recommends changing the filter every 600 hrs which is about once a year for me. They recommend changing the oil every 1200 hrs but I change it when I change filters. I do keep the old oil and start reusing it when it gets close to a filter change.

I change filters and oil at least twice the recommended rate.

With all the swapping of implements that we do around here, we're also swapping hydraulic oil from tractor to tractor.

When a hydraulic filter gets plugged, the transmission goes out soon after.

I don't think you could change them too often.

Mike, you are probably right on. I'm not really trying to save money on oil. I am just so sore and stiff with the Arthritis that it hurts to move. Being crippled up, I am between a rock and a hard place when it comes some things. I had the dealer out here last year to service my Kubota and repair two front tires that were leaking air. He changed the motor oil and filter. Said he could not change the hydraulic oil as he did not bring it with him and he did not repair tires. The next day a tire man showed up and started jackin up the rear of my tractor. I ask what he was up to. He said he was here to repair tires. I directed him to the two flat front tires and suggested he start there. He aired them up and left. They were flat the next morning. We took the tires off ourselves and went to Firestone on Southern Blvd. Both tires repaired for $12.00. I received a bill from Kubota for $700.00, Which my wife paid under protest.I had a leaking hydraulic hose on my loader bucket. Went to Kubota. They did not know which hose I needed. I bought the tractor from them. They should know what they sold me. They were not bashful about cashing my check. I finally went to Car Quest auto parts on Hwy 231. They made up the correct hose. The new hose and hydraulic oil and filter costs half what Kubota charges. Sorry for the long winded story. Thanks for your response. Tom :cboy:

I worked as a journeyman lubrication mechanic for 10 years in a pulp mill. I serviced and maintained hydraulic systems ranging from 5 gallons to 800 gallons. The sizes were different but the design basics were the same. They all have control valves. Those valves have very small passaged for the oil to pass through so keeping it clean is important. Filtration is probably the most important thing to remember. If you are dealing with a large system it is cheaper to sample the oil for analysis. This will not only tell you if the oil needs to be changed or not, but also what is happening in the whole system. Shuch as a cylinder piston going bad or a pump starting to fail. If taken care of the oil can last a long time. We had systems with oil in use for years.

Latest posts