question about bulls meat

Help Support CattleToday:

rws

Reaction score
i bought a new bull last year to use for breeding , thing is about 4 months ago he almost cut his back hoof off , he still limps pretty bad, so i bought a new bull and hauled that one to the butcher today, we just eat grass fed beef, he was born last march which makes him about 20 months old, so i was wondering if he would still make good steaks and roast, or should we just have him made into hamburger. thanks for your input rws

rws":2n17tvo6 said:
i bought a new bull last year to use for breeding , thing is about 4 months ago he almost cut his back hoof off , he still limps pretty bad, so i bought a new bull and hauled that one to the butcher today, we just eat grass fed beef, he was born last march which makes him about 20 months old, so i was wondering if he would still make good steaks and roast, or should we just have him made into hamburger. thanks for your input rws

No sickness and no fever and good and fat?

Cut him up - he will eat just fine - steaks and all

Bez+

Bez+":1vy0jtrn said:
rws":1vy0jtrn said:

No sickness and no fever and good and fat?

Cut him up - he will eat just fine - steaks and all

Bez+
he dont appear to be sick , hes eating well, but hes not on the fat side, but hes not real thin either

We've had a lot of success with butchering young bulls, we raise bulls mostly on grass for kosher beef (steers are not considered kosher) and they always taste great, steaks and all. The meat might seem lean but should be full of flavor and tenderness shouldn't be an issue, especially with a bull that is only 20 months old.

-S

Boy, you posters are from a different school than me. Once a bull starts ejaculating & maturing, their meat is different. We have always been told that a bull under 15 months would be good eating, if fed out properly.
Grass fed beef needs to be managed better than grain fed beef for it to be tender.
But, getting the advice of your butcher might help. For me, he would be hamburg in the freezer.

Easiest way is to have it hung like usual then have the butcher cut out a couple of steaks from the back and cook them up. If you like them, tenderness, texture and flavor, have him processed just like any other. If they're too chewy for your taste or you don;t like the texture have him ground. At that point in time there isn;t a whole lot you can do about flavor other then a LOT of seasoning when he's cooked.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":h1cn8y2k said:
We have always been told that a bull under 15 months would be good eating, if fed out properly.

All we butcher to eat are bulls, and all under 15 or so months old. We get great taste, great meat, and very tender. I don't think however, that I would want to eat my working bull...

grannysoo":2qz8f7pe said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":2qz8f7pe said:
We have always been told that a bull under 15 months would be good eating, if fed out properly.

All we butcher to eat are bulls, and all under 15 or so months old. We get great taste, great meat, and very tender. I don't think however, that I would want to eat my working bull...
or a lame one!

Had a holstein bull get electrocuted once....bled him out, hauled him to the locker, they hung him for 2 weeks and processed him...out of this world beef. Now he was eatinga about 30 lbs. of grain every day but was also steady breeding cattle. Was young and weighed about 1400 lbs. but was really really good.

this bull was under stress when he just about cut his hoof off 4 months ago, lost some weight, but the last two months he s been stress free eating good put some weight back on. been breeding, i just dont want to keep him for my bull,i called the butcher yesterday, he said he could pretty much tell if the meat is going to be tough or tender when he starts cutting, so i guess that will determin weather hes hamburger or not. thanks for your inputs rws

Latest posts