Quail

Help Support CattleToday:

Going from memory - and this is dangerous territory - but I think you will find the salt will be diluted in the rice and it won't be as salty as you might expect.

Well here it is. I thought i took a picture right out of the oven but apparently not. I served it with mashed winter squash with butter and honey in it. Green beans and bacon, and a salad made from escarole with a sugar oil and white balsamic dressing. The neat this about the meal was I killed the pheasant and grew the rest of it.

Fry like chicken, make gravey, mashed pototoes, and homemade biscuits. There is nothing any better than wild
quail cooked and eaten like this.

3waycross":1sbwi19l said:
Well here it is. I thought i took a picture right out of the oven but apparently not. I served it with mashed winter squash with butter and honey in it. Green beans and bacon, and a salad made from escarole with a sugar oil and white balsamic dressing. The neat this about the meal was I killed the pheasant and grew the rest of it.

Dammm! Just when I think my culinary skills are getting there you guys up the bar! Looks great!

Nice Job 3way that is a beautiful dish you have plated !!!!!!! Looks fantastic . I have to try Jo's recipe and soon . Wow :)

Commercialfarmer":yvjgqat0 said:
TexasBred":yvjgqat0 said:
slick4591":yvjgqat0 said:
Thanks! Sounds good.

Talked to a friend yesterday that deer hunts out at Eden south of San Angelo...said their deer lease was covered up with them this year. Not normal tho.

That surprises me since Sweetwater claims to be the Quail capital of Texas. It is out that direction that I was considering trying this year. But they have some serious rattle snakes, and I just don't know that I can get over that. We'll see in a few months how I feel, and how many Box Turtles their seeing...
CF he said he couldn't explain it either other than everything must have just fell into place for a change. I'll let YOU have the snakes. ;-)

TexasBred":358ne4b0 said:
CF he said he couldn't explain it either other than everything must have just fell into place for a change. I'll let YOU have the snakes. ;-)

Sorry, I didn't say that very clear. I was surprised that they normally don't have a lot of quail in the San Angelo area, but I haven't traveled very far south of I-20 out that way.

Dang these were good! Didn't get to follow the exact recipe, Jo, but I think i did an okay job of winging it. Since I had already brined these birds in Kosher salt and brown sugar at slaughter, I soaked them in apple juice overnight. I did pretty much everything else except the I used a Sangria. Only thing I would change next time would use the low sodium chicken broth. After reducing by 2/3rds a was a little salty. Thanks for the recipe! They were really good!

Slick, I'm glad you liked it. Its not following the recipe exactly is what makes it good. Basically this is about the same method GaPrime mentioned only the birds are brined first. Ends up making a nice meal for sure.

LOL!!

1 Quail: 50 calories
1 Quail: 200 calories (hunt, shoot, shotgun shell, pick up, dress it, prepare it, cook it, eat it)
150 calories lost by eating a quail...
Priceless...

LOL!

Good survivalist food, I guess when stranded and lost in a strange place...

Tried this out last night with deboned breast meat from a wild turkey. I figured if it could add juiciness to a quail and pheasant, it surely wouldn't hurt to try a turkey. It received thumbs up all the way around. The real test is when I don't hear about using so many dishes when I cook- and I didn't hear a word. Thanks for sharing! Im looking forward to lunch as I have some left over.

Jogeephus":1q0kz5gx said:
Looks like I have a heck of a crop of quail this year too. I jumped three coveys on about 100 acres and each covey had at least 30 birds in them. Something must have worked in their favor this year. I haven't seen any coyotes this year which is rare. Just a thought.

I have to wonder if those Coyotes developed a bad case of .260 disease? :tiphat: :lol2: :lol2:

3waycross":37wp2kcr said:
Jogeephus":37wp2kcr said:
Looks like I have a heck of a crop of quail this year too. I jumped three coveys on about 100 acres and each covey had at least 30 birds in them. Something must have worked in their favor this year. I haven't seen any coyotes this year which is rare. Just a thought.

I have to wonder if those Coyotes developed a bad case of .260 disease? :tiphat: :lol2: :lol2:

Its been known to happen. :nod:

Latest posts