Quail Dinner

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
After Amelia made such a nice supper the other day I thought I'd reciprocate with a home grown meal.

Cleaned the birds.

IMG_5893.jpg

Made a brine using:

8 cups of apple juice
1 onion diced in little pieces (about a 1/2 cup)
1 TBS diced garlic (about 3-4 cloves)
2 TBS black pepper
1 TBS ground mustard
2 bay leaves
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup kosher salt

Brought to boil then simmered for 20 minutes cooled brine and soaked birds in it for 24 hours

After 24 hours in the brine I took 2/3 cup of flour and mixed in 2 TBS salt and 1/2 tsp of pepper and dredged the birds in this mix and set aside.

In a dutch oven I heated 4 TBS of butter and added 1 pound of sliced mushrooms and sauteed them for a about six minutes then took the mushrooms out and set to the side.

I then added a cup of butter to the pot and browned the quail on each side to form a nice crust and then set them in a casserole dish.

Then I added 1/2 cup plus 2 tbs of left over flour along with 4 cups of chicken broth and 1 cup of straw/apple wine to the pot and mixed until the gravy thickened.(I had two glasses of this and got almost drunk, third glass cinched the deal so I guess you call it wine but maybe not) Once it thickened, I added sauteed mushrooms and heated everything for a bit then poured gravy over the quail and stuck the casserole dish in a preheated 350F oven for one hour.

End result was this.
IMG_5898.jpg

Served with homegrown broccolli, peas and a long grain vegetable rice mix. The quail had a wonderful flavor and were some of the most tender, moist and savory quail I've ever tasted - or it could have been the wine talking. :lol2:

IMG_5899.jpg

I can just imagine the things you could teach her husband.
farmgirl10, go ahead and make the appointment for him. jogeephus will make a new man out of him. :lol2:

Jogeephus":bjab95pl said:
:lol2: I might ruin him. ;-)
:lol: You would have to promise to send him back. He would probably enjoy himself down there. Especially after a year in hell.

kenny thomas":bjab95pl said:
I can just imagine the things you could teach her husband.
farmgirl10, go ahead and make the appointment for him. jogeephus will make a new man out of him. :lol2:
I will have to make this appointment for approximately 11 months from now after he gets home and spends time with me. :nod:

Oh, he would need to stop by Jogeephus for a week or so on the way home. Then he could really surprise you with what he learns there. hahaha

kenny thomas":6hc5vy3b said:
Oh, he would need to stop by Jogeephus for a week or so on the way home. Then he could really surprise you with what he learns there. hahaha
:nod: This would be an amazing idea. :)

kenny thomas":3kcforky said:
But also what he might learn there besides the cooking could not be such a good thing.
I hope not.....or i will just have to go also to make sure! :p

jedstivers":2n8wb29v said:
I just happen to have some S. GA Quail in the freezer. Might have to try that. Few weeks ago had Chukar on the grill and really think I liked them better than quail.

I've never had enough chukar left over after I shot it to clean since the dang things tend to catch the full load plus the wadding. ;-) :lol2:
I think you will like this recipe Jed. They are very moist and juicy.

FarmGirl10":2n8wb29v said:
kenny thomas":2n8wb29v said:
But also what he might learn there besides the cooking could not be such a good thing.
I hope not.....or i will just have to go also to make sure! :p

As a disclaimer, I must remind you of what happened to the young butter bar that recently dropped by for my tutelage. :mrgreen:

IMG_5852.jpg

:lol: :lol: I don't think you will make my hubby cry like that. Unless u find me a pet baby alligator :)

Latest posts