Quail

Help Support CattleToday:

My favorite recipe is illegal to make in the states.

Here is a very good recipe for quail but I warn you, you will not want to share any with your family and you might even growl at them while your backed in the corner lapping at the dish if they dare come near you.

First, make a brine using the following.

8 cups of apple juice
1 onion diced in little pieces (about a 1/2 cup)
1 TBS diced garlic (about 3-4 cloves)
2 TBS black pepper
1 TBS ground mustard
2 bay leaves
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup kosher salt

Bring to boil then simmer for 20 minutes. Cool brine and soak birds in it for 24 hours, refrigerated.

After 24 hours in the brine I took 2/3 cup of flour and mixed in 2 TBS salt and 1/2 tsp of pepper and dredged the birds in this mix and set aside.

In a dutch oven I heated 4 TBS of butter and added 1 pound of sliced mushrooms and sauteed them for a about six minutes then took the mushrooms out and set to the side.

I then added a cup of butter to the pot and browned the quail on each side on fairly high heat to form a nice crust and then set them in a casserole dish.

Then I added 1/2 cup plus 2 tbs of left over flour along with 4 cups of chicken broth and 1 cup of straw/apple wine (any white wine or any wine will do) to the pot and mixed until the gravy thickened.(I had two glasses of this and got almost drunk, third glass cinched the deal so I guess you call it wine but maybe not but who cares) Once it thickened, I added the sauteed mushrooms and heated everything for a bit then poured gravy over the quail and stuck the casserole dish in a preheated 350F oven for one hour.

End result is this

IMG_5898.jpg

Served with homegrown broccolli, peas and a long grain vegetable rice mix. The quail had a wonderful flavor and were some of the most tender, moist and savory quail I've ever tasted - or it could have been the wine talking.

IMG_5899.jpg

Jogeephus":3bwoj6p3 said:

Here is a very good recipe for quail but I warn you, you will not want to share any with your family and you might even growl at them while your backed in the corner lapping at the dish if they dare come near you.

8 cups of apple juice
2 TBS black pepper
1 TBS ground mustard
2 bay leaves
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup kosher salt

Bring to boil then simmer for 20 minutes. Cool brine and soak birds in it for 24 hours, refrigerated.

After 24 hours in the brine I took 2/3 cup of flour and mixed in 2 TBS salt and 1/2 tsp of pepper and dredged the birds in this mix and set aside.

In a dutch oven I heated 4 TBS of butter and added 1 pound of sliced mushrooms and sauteed them for a about six minutes then took the mushrooms out and set to the side.

I then added a cup of butter to the pot and browned the quail on each side on fairly high heat to form a nice crust and then set them in a casserole dish.

Then I added 1/2 cup plus 2 tbs of left over flour along with 4 cups of chicken broth and 1 cup of straw/apple wine (any white wine or any wine will do) to the pot and mixed until the gravy thickened.(I had two glasses of this and got almost drunk, third glass cinched the deal so I guess you call it wine but maybe not but who cares) Once it thickened, I added the sauteed mushrooms and heated everything for a bit then poured gravy over the quail and stuck the casserole dish in a preheated 350F oven for one hour.

End result is this

IMG_5898.jpg

Served with homegrown broccolli, peas and a long grain vegetable rice mix. The quail had a wonderful flavor and were some of the most tender, moist and savory quail I've ever tasted - or it could have been the wine talking.

IMG_5899.jpg

Thanks Jo! Looks like something I might not stop at the bones.

Its a little bit of trouble but I guarantee you will be pleased with the end result. I think its the best quail dish I've ever tasted.

Besides roasting with cream of mushroom, I like to throw them in the skillet with season salt. Let them cook till their nice and browned, and then dump a can on chicken stock in, and let them simmer. Makes them pretty moist when your done.

Jogeephus":9p9e66qr said:

8 cups of apple juice
2 TBS black pepper
1 TBS ground mustard
2 bay leaves
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup kosher salt

End result is this

IMG_5898.jpg

IMG_5899.jpg

Seriously ???? WOW !!!!!!!!!!! :clap: :clap:

Would this work with farm raised duck or do you think it would be too fatty and end up just a big greasy mess ?

How did you end up preparing the quail Slick ? :tiphat:

I am going to try it on some pheasant. It's thawing right now. I will make the brine in the morning.

hillsdown":1f15f1ub said:
How did you end up preparing the quail Slick ? :tiphat:

I haven't. I had already ran the birds through a Kosher and brown sugar brine when I took the picture, then they went into the freezer. I'll have to gather the ingredients for Jo's recipe.

3waycross":eczjlppl said:
I am going to try it on some pheasant. It's thawing right now. I will make the brine in the morning.

Had the same thought :nod:, sounds like a perfect way to get them a little juicier. Hope you report back on it. I have 4 in the freezer that I need to get out of there.

slick4591":fu1rolsx said:
Thanks! Sounds good.

Talked to a friend yesterday that deer hunts out at Eden south of San Angelo...said their deer lease was covered up with them this year. Not normal tho.

Rub them down with garlic and salt. Roast them in the oven stuffed with a brat or Italian sausage over polenta and cover with a rich brown gravy.

Pretty easy and very good. You are so lucky.

Looks like I have a heck of a crop of quail this year too. I jumped three coveys on about 100 acres and each covey had at least 30 birds in them. Something must have worked in their favor this year. I haven't seen any coyotes this year which is rare. Just a thought.

Well it's in the oven. We will see in an hour how bad i messed it up Joe. I did make a few changes for local ingredients. I used a pound of colorado porcini mushrooms, I also added some dried valencia orange peel, a little sage, and some freeze dried jalapeno for character.

Pictures later I hope.

TexasBred":1wcqr01p said:
slick4591":1wcqr01p said:
Thanks! Sounds good.

Talked to a friend yesterday that deer hunts out at Eden south of San Angelo...said their deer lease was covered up with them this year. Not normal tho.

That surprises me since Sweetwater claims to be the Quail capital of Texas. It is out that direction that I was considering trying this year. But they have some serious rattle snakes, and I just don't know that I can get over that. We'll see in a few months how I feel, and how many Box Turtles their seeing...

3waycross":14cxen2q said:
Well it's in the oven. We will see in an hour how bad i messed it up Joe. I did make a few changes for local ingredients. I used a pound of colorado porcini mushrooms, I also added some dried valencia orange peel, a little sage, and some freeze dried jalapeno for character.

Pictures later I hope.

What are your thoughts at the moment? Look promising or not. BTW - if its a train wreck its cause of the weird mushrooms you used. :lol2:

Jogeephus":t7zwfm5z said:
3waycross":t7zwfm5z said:

Pictures later I hope.

What are your thoughts at the moment? Look promising or not. BTW - if its a train wreck its cause of the weird mushrooms you used. :lol2:

Looks and smells promising. Had to use a white merlot no chablis in the house. The gravy was incredible. The only thing i will do next time is cut WAAAAY back on the salt. I just can't take as much as this recipe calls for.

BTW i ate one of the little tenderloins off the pheasant breast after i browned it. Gawd were they tasty. That brine is outstanding. Muy Sabroso as they say around here Amigo!

Latest posts