qlf on hay

Help Support CattleToday:

That part isnt hard to figur out no tank to run dry or tring to figur out how to get filled with deep snow or mud and if i am putting so much per bail there onling going to get that much

herefordlover":11hcvp42 said:
I can see that if we had a grinder

Very few producers here have their own grinder. Tub grinder is one machine I never had any desire to own. Much easier/cheaper in the long run to get the custom guy, and there are several of them around. Don't know what the custom guys charge nowdays.

Last hay I had ground 10 yrs ago was $120 hr but he could sure grind up a pile in a hour. With good grinding conditions he ground a bale every minute. The rig is a 400HP AC engine on a Mighty Giant grinder with 10' tub with his own hydrafork makes short work of large and small jobs. Same guy has 2 of these rigs and travels the 3 state area. Feedlots and sale barns help make it a year round business for him.

I sold 120 bales to a neighbor who will grind the hay for his heifer calves which he keeps until after the first of the year when he keeps 50 heifers for replacement and sells the rest to make room for calving.

I will move the bales to neighbor's feeding area soon so he can grind his hay pile before weaning. Neighbor also has a silage pile. Loads ground hay and silage into a mixer feeder wagon on the 4055 and feeds daily in bunks.

Rain would be a problem. Ground hay does not keep at all when it gets wet. We seldom get rain in the dead of winter "here" and it's usually cold enough that our snow is usually a dry snow. I always tried to have ground hay gone by March when we normally get more rain and/or heavy wet snow.

herefordlover":2p8e4645 said:
U let it soak in or can be injected
A waste of good money. Put the tank out and let them eat it. They will go to the hay. If not you need to burn the hay and buy something with some value.

Latest posts