PVC Splint for calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Diehard40

Reaction score
Has anyone ever made a PVC splint for a newborn calf's front legs
heard of this, but need some assistance.
got one that is having trouble standing on front legs
thanks

I like the tubes you use in a golf bag. If you go with PVC, cut the pipe lengthwise, then rasp any sharp edges off the ends. Duct tape it on, but don't leave it long. Couple of days at most.

They'll usually come around in a few days even if you don't do anything. Just make sure momma's sticking with them. Flexing the joint and straightening it makes me feel like I'm doing something useful. Might be a waste of time.

I do it like JKwilson said but I use 3" or 4" pvc and wrap the leg with cotton batting so it doesn't rub the leg raw
usually can take it off in 3 or 4 days just be sure you have the calf where you can catch it because even with splints it can outrun you :lol: :lol:

I have done it and stuck the pipe in some old socks plus the padding around the leg. I used vet wrap the last time, duct tape works but I like the wrap better.

I have used the PVC and bought some via Valley Vet and used them too. Made me feel better (to do something to help) but honestly I think the hands on stretching did more good than the splints. PIA to deal with every day but think it did the most good.

Other than giving them a shot of Bo-Se, I don't do a dam thing for contracted tendons and have yet to see one not straighten out on it's own. Why ask for more problems?

cfpinz":29on7mk5 said:
Other than giving them a shot of Bo-Se, I don't do a dam thing for contracted tendons and have yet to see one not straighten out on it's own. Why ask for more problems?
:nod:

Latest posts