Purebred Angus bulls without papers

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
************* said:
Almost 3000 views in a day on this thread. Something of value is being discussed, one would have to assume.

The big question is whose opinion is prevailing, because as we know many people read, but many don't post.

If you are wondering, we could probably start a poll. I don't think most think it's a good business plan for a seed stock producer to raise a set of lower end bulls to sell at a discount to the top shelf bulls.
Assuming that's what the poll would be for, I think that's how this silly thread got going.

Chocolate Cow2 said:
************* said:
Chocolate Cow2 said:
The odd's are against these new kids. The Grandfather builds it, the Father maintains it and the Grandson loses it. Third Generation fact.

That's right, because the 3rd gen is usually following Grandpappy's tired old methods
No. It's because the 3rd generation has little or no work ethic. They weren't the ones who put the dream together.

Geez, we're 5th generation. We must have things really screwed up around here.

************* said:
Right now they eat very expensive grain, alfalfa/ orchard grass hay that comes off the same field that Thoroughbred horses hay comes from, they have the best minerals I can buy, they have around 3 acres per bull to keep the stress down during development, and they have regular shots of multimin, and whatever else they need to have them at top performance.

You have probably given this info before, but how much grain do you feed your developing bulls and what ADG to you try to achieve?

************* said:
jscunn said:
Midland ? :roll: Spend some years playing down here in the minor leagues learning what it takes to make a good bull test bull before you roll up to the big leagues.

If I were to do an ET combo, the best to the best, and let a super healthy registered Angus cow raise that calf, how is that still a Branded calf from a genetics standpoint, wouldn't it be as if I do have a genuine article from the big leagues. Am I missing something?

I thought all major and successful breeders use ET and AI.

If I were trying to light the world on fire with homegrown bulls I would be concerned that I might be working for an extremely long time to get where I want to be.

Why would my SAV President son, from an Edella cow sired by MYTTY in Focus not be worthy of Midland?

Sounds like one you should send
http://www.midlandbulltest.com/the-test/how-it-works/midland-bull-test-bull-eligibility/

Here is the entry info best of luck to you it is an excellent test.

Gizmom

Silver said:
************* said:
Almost 3000 views in a day on this thread. Something of value is being discussed, one would have to assume.

The big question is whose opinion is prevailing, because as we know many people read, but many don't post.

If you are wondering, we could probably start a poll. I don't think most think it's a good business plan for a seed stock producer to raise a set of lower end bulls to sell at a discount to the top shelf bulls.
Assuming that's what the poll would be for, I think that's how this silly thread got going.

I knew the answer before I started the thread, I wanted to hear responses from outside of KY. I heard them and the message is clear.

Tough crowd here on Cattle Today, makes me feel grizzled after a day of posting back and forth. Maybe I should be an observer on her instead. :deadhorse:

************* said:
I'm not so sure I would want to send my bulls to test. Right now they eat very expensive grain, alfalfa/ orchard grass hay that comes off the same field that Thoroughbred horses hay comes from, they have the best minerals I can buy, they have around 3 acres per bull to keep the stress down during development, and they have regular shots of multimin, and whatever else they need to have them at top performance.

Would a feedlot do this for them? Maybe they would, but my hunch is they would NOT. Why would I want to downgrade the nutrition in their development

I have watched from the sidelines, but your above statement does not help you make the case for elite genetics. It looks like you have cattle that have to be pampered, ie welfare cattle. Cattle that can perform and breed back as long as you are handing out feed/checks.

The problem I see with cattle trends is biggest, best, fastest growing. The "-est" phenomenon is that the performance is at what cost.

Are you matching your cattle to the environment or matching your environment to the cattle?

Also, AI sires or being a highly promoted sire is not necessarily mean he is superior. Home raised clean up bulls, AI sired in most cases, from the old matrons of our herd for several years have had calves that have out performed the AI sired calves. The biggest difference has been that th cleanup bulls may not have the biggest best calf but across the board they average better and are more consistent.

I can't believe this is the topic that has brought me out of a ten year absence, been so long I had to create a new account. I've been lurking around reading posts, but this one I just had to add my own nonsense to Branded's post.
A. Branded; I think you have to decide what kind of breeder you want to be. If you want to be the Kentucky version of SAV, then by all means sell your bulls at the prices you've set. I don't see any reason to slum around. Out here in the far west, the most reputable or name breeders till only average $4,000 in their sales. Thomas Angus will have a pretty big top, not Coneally or SAV top, but pretty good, but prices fall off a cliff about half way in. But their bottom end is still really nice stock. My Dad bought off the bottom one time. You could spot his progeny immediately in the herd. It was the best $2,000 my old man spent. Some ranches like Thomas sell lower end bulls so the average guy can get decent results. But in your sales environment and brand may not allow for that. Do what you think is best, the best thing about mistakes, you can usually correct them, after learning from them.
B. Branded; I saw you wanted to do a post off, people showing their reg number, so we can all do comparables. This industry unfortunately has really gone into the ditch, chasing numbers. And the numbers make no sense. I have a first calf cow whose $B is over 200. That puts her in the top 1% and I have heifer that just weened at 810lbs her ww is low 40's and her dam is in the low 30's. I have a cow here that whenever people see her thinks she's one of the best they've ever seen. She is an EPD nightmare, ww of only 29 $B is almost the same. Numbers are good as part of the story, but they shouldn't ever sell you the cow or bull.
3. Branded you posted about a very special calf born on your place. I love when they are born and appreciate your excitement. But using Ext genetics, isn't really anything new. Several outfits have thrown recent progeny far before SAV ever did. Now I get the excitement about SAV bringing some of their genetics into play, but Ext sired bulls have been around. We just had a bull calf out of JVC Emulation, like you I was excited, it's kind of fun to dip back into the gene pool.
Thank you for bringing me out of my ten year hiatus. The thing I love about this industry is the simple thing, just do what you do, use the genetics that you want and go in the direction you want to see come to fruition.....which could include selling commercial bulls.

************* said:
jscunn said:
Midland ? :roll: Spend some years playing down here in the minor leagues learning what it takes to make a good bull test bull before you roll up to the big leagues.

If I were to do an ET combo, the best to the best, and let a super healthy registered Angus cow raise that calf, how is that still a Branded calf from a genetics standpoint, wouldn't it be as if I do have a genuine article from the big leagues. Am I missing something?

I thought all major and successful breeders use ET and AI.

If I were trying to light the world on fire with homegrown bulls I would be concerned that I might be working for an extremely long time to get where I want to be.

Why would my SAV President son, from an Edella cow sired by MYTTY in Focus not be worthy of Midland?

Branded,
How is that your genetics? Bill Gates could do it your way, all he needs to do is hire someone to feed them. The bull we sold at the florida bull test was out of 3 generations of walking bulls and the MGGD was purchased as an open heifer in 2006. At 14 years old the purchased cow is still here and has one of the best bull calves here this year. Was he perfect, heck no not even close. He was competitive, finished 17th overall out of 100+ bulls of all breeds. 2nd overall in feed efficiency. What I am trying to say is good bulls come from walking bulls, AI bulls, ET matings. Just because it is expensive doesnt mean it is good, just because it was cheap doesnt mean it is bad.

One of my favorite people in my hometown (Gizmom) uses SAV genetics and meshes them with things she thinks will work in our environment. What I am saying she takes AI and ET and works them to fit here. She doesnt breed best to best.. might work in the hard grass of ND but totally stink in the fescue of KY. What she also is is positive, friendly, approachable. Be less like me and more like her. I tend to kill flies with a hammer.

I learned a long time ago be careful of the folks that talk to much. I have always been more impressed with actions and products than a tale.

If you want to improve the breed register the bulls, send the information in, and don't sell anything that you wouldn't have at some point bought. Stand behind them, be it out of a walking bull, AI bull, or a bought ET bull. All AI bulls can be someone's walking bull.

gizmom said:
Well shucks Jscunn I'm blushing.

Gizmom
You shouldn't be you deserve it. :tiphat: If we'd of met y'all when we first started we'd of never left Angus cattle. Most successful Angus breeders that we've met act exactly like Branded.

CreekAngus said:
I can't believe this is the topic that has brought me out of a ten year absence, been so long I had to create a new account. I've been lurking around reading posts, but this one I just had to add my own nonsense to Branded's post.
A. Branded; I think you have to decide what kind of breeder you want to be. If you want to be the Kentucky version of SAV, then by all means sell your bulls at the prices you've set. I don't see any reason to slum around. Out here in the far west, the most reputable or name breeders till only average $4,000 in their sales. Thomas Angus will have a pretty big top, not Coneally or SAV top, but pretty good, but prices fall off a cliff about half way in. But their bottom end is still really nice stock. My Dad bought off the bottom one time. You could spot his progeny immediately in the herd. It was the best $2,000 my old man spent. Some ranches like Thomas sell lower end bulls so the average guy can get decent results. But in your sales environment and brand may not allow for that. Do what you think is best, the best thing about mistakes, you can usually correct them, after learning from them.
B. Branded; I saw you wanted to do a post off, people showing their reg number, so we can all do comparables. This industry unfortunately has really gone into the ditch, chasing numbers. And the numbers make no sense. I have a first calf cow whose $B is over 200. That puts her in the top 1% and I have heifer that just weened at 810lbs her ww is low 40's and her dam is in the low 30's. I have a cow here that whenever people see her thinks she's one of the best they've ever seen. She is an EPD nightmare, ww of only 29 $B is almost the same. Numbers are good as part of the story, but they shouldn't ever sell you the cow or bull.
3. Branded you posted about a very special calf born on your place. I love when they are born and appreciate your excitement. But using Ext genetics, isn't really anything new. Several outfits have thrown recent progeny far before SAV ever did. Now I get the excitement about SAV bringing some of their genetics into play, but Ext sired bulls have been around. We just had a bull calf out of JVC Emulation, like you I was excited, it's kind of fun to dip back into the gene pool.
Thank you for bringing me out of my ten year hiatus. The thing I love about this industry is the simple thing, just do what you do, use the genetics that you want and go in the direction you want to see come to fruition.....which could include selling commercial bulls.

:welcome: back!

phillse said:
************* said:
I'm not so sure I would want to send my bulls to test. Right now they eat very expensive grain, alfalfa/ orchard grass hay that comes off the same field that Thoroughbred horses hay comes from, they have the best minerals I can buy, they have around 3 acres per bull to keep the stress down during development, and they have regular shots of multimin, and whatever else they need to have them at top performance.

Would a feedlot do this for them? Maybe they would, but my hunch is they would NOT. Why would I want to downgrade the nutrition in their development

I have watched from the sidelines, but your above statement does not help you make the case for elite genetics. It looks like you have cattle that have to be pampered, ie welfare cattle. Cattle that can perform and breed back as long as you are handing out feed/checks.

The problem I see with cattle trends is biggest, best, fastest growing. The "-est" phenomenon is that the performance is at what cost.

Are you matching your cattle to the environment or matching your environment to the cattle?

Also, AI sires or being a highly promoted sire is not necessarily mean he is superior. Home raised clean up bulls, AI sired in most cases, from the old matrons of our herd for several years have had calves that have out performed the AI sired calves. The biggest difference has been that th cleanup bulls may not have the biggest best calf but across the board they average better and are more consistent.

The easy thing for me to do out here WOULD BE to limit ration, limit the time I spend with them, and use extreme calving ease, low birthweight sires to eliminate any worries about pulling a calf. That would be the easy path for sure, and many here in Kentucky like that plan, because it allows for a more laid back approach to cattle husbandry. It allows for time away from the farm, and for many, the ability to take a main job to keep the farm running.

Caring for them properly however is the tough job that few want to do. Using the bulls that we are using out here is not for everyone, it could, God forbid, involve watching a cow or heifer closely when calving, and in some extreme cases you might have to pull a calf. Then that big old calf and momma are gonna need inputs. That's just too hard of work for many. Why not have a scrawny calf out of a scrawny cow and let them eat nothing but low-quality pasture that has had no work done on it for eons? Oh, don't get testy, I'm not calling YOUR cows or calves scrawny, just some I've seen around these parts, and not just in my own county.

I understand efficiency well, and our cattle from an EPD standpoint are efficient. What I don't understand is squeezing blood from a stone. The whole "cattle work for you, not the other way around" statement is a bit tired. My cattle work, but they get rewarded for that work, I take care of their health and wellbeing, that's the work I do for them. What I don't do is follow around a bunch of sick cows or calves, or call the vet when the heifer has a prolapse, and the bulls have foot rot, NOPE that's not the kind of work I have to do out here, because that is rarely ever the case. My hunch is that Bright Raven doesn't have his cattle on a trailer headed to the yards because he ran out of hay or couldn't care for them, yet he is chided on here for having "pets". Call them whatever you want, but they are well cared for cattle. If you want low input, low maintenance, why not look into deer, I'm serious, several folks in my county are switching their operations to deer, and the feed stores now have deer days, or some stupid thing like that, with feeders and such for deers, as if we don't already have enough around here.

People like to complain about all their aches and pains, but if you looked at their lifestyle, it explains exactly why they have aches and pains. The same goes for the cattle business. I hear the hard luck stories at the feed store, but they are usually self-inflicted.

As for Western genetics in Kentucky. I've noticed that if the calf was born and raised here, it acclimates just fine, I'm not sure about buying an animal from out west and dropping it into a foot of mud and extreme rain like we have here and not having any problems, that may not be the case.

The beauty of genetics and evolution, a dirty word in some circles, is that it happens quickly. You would be surprised how fast an animal can adapt to the environment in just two generations while holding on to some of the traits that made them great in another environment. Also, Kentucky weather is pretty extreme, I've lived other places, and this weather is sh..t here. Cold in the winter, rain, snow, hot in the summer, it's all over the place. The cattle, when cared for, seem to take it in stride which leads me to believe something I'm doing is working.

Branded

My cows make their living just like everyone else's cows in this region. The difference might be as follows:

1. They get vitafirm mineral and I am vigilant in keeping it readily available.

2. They have a well cared for pasture to forage in. Everyone here has seen the quality of my pastures.

3. In winter, from Thanksgiving until April 1, they get free choice hay. Overall, low quality but not crap.

4. They have no shelter. They live outside in the elements. Except the calves. I have a system which I call the sanctuary where the calves - fall calves - can seek shelter.

Are my cows PETS. Yes. I am very fond of my cows. They, no exceptions, can be petted. Even strangers can walkup and pet my cows. Don't believe me - ask Kentuckyguy, ask Ringer, ask TT, ask Fire Sweep. I spend lots of time with my cows. If you want a comparison, they are like my dogs.

Now, do my cows perform. Yes they do. They don't have foot rot, despite the weather. They are healthy. They don't have issues at partum. They maintain condition to the point of criticism. They breed back like clock work. They are, every stinking one, good mothers.

No, Branded, I don't want to babysit our cows during calving season. I'm 4 hours away and my farm manager isn't paid enough to sit up all night with them. I use calving ease bulls for the most part with moderate birth weights. Our cows get free choice mineral year round and the best grass and hay we can muster. In addition the vet comes out twice a year to worm and vaccinate the entire herd. Ky Hills and Raven have been to our place. Are we the best? Nope, but we're far from the worst.

I think the original thread has run its course and this is the last of three saved drafts. So my thoughts on it is like buying a car. If your looking for Lamborghini's or Ferrari's your not going to be shopping at the Toyota dealership. Now the guy that owns the Ferrari dealership may own a Toyota dealership also which is fine, but selling them off the same lot is probably not a good idea. Someone is going to notice the Toyota sticker on the Ferrari that didn't make the cut.

It may be a little known story, but long years ago an ice cream maker near here came out with their version of Cookies and Cream. They solicited Nabisco to supply them with their broken Oreo cookies. Nabisco declined the opportunity to sell "defective" cookies although nothing was wrong with the cookie, it was just broken or wasn't shaped properly. Now the ice cream maker didn't care about that because the were doing to crush them up anyway but it did matter to Nabisco.

Cookies and Cream is still one of the ice cream makers best selling varieties, but it came into production by crushing the perfectly formed Oreo cookie.

If one runs 4 cows on 20 acres and sells $750,000 worth of product a year that's your niche. Hoorah. My guess it would be best not to try to slip one no one wants onto the Toyota lot.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
No, Branded, I don't want to babysit our cows during calving season. I'm 4 hours away and my farm manager isn't paid enough to sit up all night with them. I use calving ease bulls for the most part with moderate birth weights. Our cows get free choice mineral year round and the best grass and hay we can muster. In addition the vet comes out twice a year to worm and vaccinate the entire herd. Ky Hills and Raven have been to our place. Are we the best? Nope, but we're far from the worst.

Yep. Branded is forgetting that when those papmpered bulls go to work, they're going to fall apart. We give our girls top nutrition. We throw $20 into a calf at birth. But when our bulls make the bull list and we're growing them from weaning to yearling, they do not bump from their wean ration.

We hear so much from our buyers. They love to send pics or ask us to come out and look at him cuz he's phenomenal coming off of pasture. This is why we can sell commercial bulls. This is why, we have a good reputation.

This is why, we have folks come to the house with a 12 pack to discuss their breeding for spring. We give honest feedback on growth, calving ease, structure. We know enough of these Cattlemen's operations to give sound advice.

My husband might be the smartest cattle guy I know. But I'm partial. The thing about him though, he's always learning and listening.

Upcoming bull sale here and we've kept busy with walking thru them with potential buyers. A few have offered to buy before sale but we won't do that. One guy offered $3500 for pick. Our highest went for $3200 last year. Hard to say no but we want to remain on the straight and narrow. If greed gets ahold of us, we become dirty. Feels foolish not to but that's the way my husband operates. And I'm proud of that!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts