Pumping Show Cattle with sprite

Help Support CattleToday:

ffamom

Reaction score
I was wondering yalls opinion on this. I can't say I favor it or don't favor it (we don't have the expertise to even try it.) Some fitters can really enhance the appearance of their cattle by pumping them.

I know you are just curious but some fitters can enhance their cattle by doing lots of things. Teach your kids to be honest and they will learn alot more than they can by winning with a fake steer. Good quality animals will offset most of the cheating that you run up against. Teach your kids the difference in a very good steer and a good steer. Start each year with a very good steer. Most other things will take care of themselves.

FFA .. I've seen that as well, seems to be especially prevelant at the TJLA shows. I've been told it's "legal" to drench them, providing there is a vet administering the drench. Of course, I've never seen a vet any where near the animals.

I'd much rather stand down in a class with my calf than to win with one that's had all sorts of, in my opinion, unethical and unfair things done to him. But just my thoughts. At what point can you feel proud about your animal if you've had to do all that to compete?

Sometimes it's hard to make the right decision, especially in competition. But we keep reminding ourselves that we show to promote our operation and our cattle, not to win no matter what the cost. And have a good time too!

I'm totally against it. I stopped letting my kids compete at TJLA BBB and Fall Classic because nothing is considered unethical. In past years at this particular show, the fitter were pumping or drenching the animals in the makeup arena. The amount of false hair applied is outrageous. This is not to say that all the animals are this way. Like Ollie stated I have seen some very good animals do very well. Unfortunately, my kids don't have the very good animals yet.
Just as a side note, if you reseach the founders of the TJLA, you will find that they were banned from at least one major show because of steriod use their sons grand champion steer.

cowboy13":1pqxxge3 said:
In my book pumping is okay. You need to if you can't get them to drink. Sprite or Firewater works best because it blows out their top and dosen't add a gut. Its just that $269.00 pumping rig that keeps people from doing it.
Why would you buy a 270 dollar pump??? In my book pumping is not ok. If they don't drink it is your fault. Good stockman get them to drink , they know their cattle and the show road. They all, with the exception of a sick one or a pilgram , drink. It is a much bigger trick to get them hydrated before the show than it is making them drink at showtime. Anyone can make them drink. Getting them hydrated...that is tough and pumping won't help.
(just for clarity pilgrams are making their maiden voyage. ;-) )

cowboy13":20pio2ck said:
Most of the times the calves don't like the water and won't drink. We pump on one day shows. If you're there any longer, they will drink on their own.
If they don't like the water at the show on day one then make the day one water taste like home. Tablespoon of vinigar in a 5 gal bucket, Molasses, sprite, tobacco, whatever but if they have been to shows before and they are thirsty (and the water tastes the same as at home) they'll drink.

Several years back, we pumped one of my sons steer's at our county show, but, that was the first show the steer had ever been to, he drank water, but, someone else on the same show team said that he would pump him, so we let him, I didn't see that much difference in him to be honest.

Now my son's heifer's, will never be pumped. We spend too much money on them to have something messed up while they are pumped. We not only buy them for the showring, but, they all go out in the pasture to make babies when their show career is over.

Besides, I don't believe in pumping heifer's. That's why my son shows american cattle, short hair, don't have to worry about all the primping. Of course, ffa mom, I think that I know who you are talking about. :lol: We were wondering if that heifer is really what they say it is. ;-)

Years ago when I was in high school, the guys would use beer to fill out the steers.

mom

We would always water by hand at feeding time a couple of days before each show. We added a two liter bottle of Sprite to a five gallon bucket of water. We also did this show day. It would completely take care of the water taste difference, plus give that extra Show Ring fill. Never had to worry about pumping, because the calves always looked forward to their treat. It only took us about four years to figure this out. :?:

I've been to TJLA shows where when the heifers (american)were brought in at stalling on a Friday and by Saturday at ringtime you could'nt even recognize it being the animal from the night before, they were so pumped that they looked heavy bred, sad thing they were Beefmasters and had been pumped so many times they couldn't eat because they were so scarred internally from having a three foot long stainless steel tube shoved down throat. You're not suppose to pump at the majors but I've seen it done at Houston and San Antonio in the tie-outs.

It's exactly that kind of behavior that discourages kids from showing livestock. If a calf can't make it on his own accord he's not show quality. When you've got a kid with just a calf or two trying his best competing with exhibitors with a string of show animals being cared for by some hotshot fitter using dishonest methods, it is unfair, unethical, and discouraging. If a person is guilty of these things, they are not stockmen, just lowdown, lying cheats!!! :mad:

J. T.":ncblhhqw said:
If a person is guilty of these things, they are not stockmen, just lowdown, lying cheats!!! :mad:
And in Junior shows, they and their family shoulld be barred from showing at any shows, from the county level up to the national level, for a period that the youngest child would be elgible to show in Jr. shows.

la4angus":1kae8jfa said:
J. T.":1kae8jfa said:
If a person is guilty of these things, they are not stockmen, just lowdown, lying cheats!!! :mad:
And in Junior shows, they and their family shoulld be barred from showing at any shows, from the county level up to the national level, for a period that the youngest child would be elgible to show in Jr. shows.
Agreed!

Yes i hae seen people pump there animals i'm not against it or for it i have never done it but i have freinds that give there calves beer with beet ppulp and all kinds of tricks like that

J. T.":3dqwpgr8 said:
la4angus":3dqwpgr8 said:
J. T.":3dqwpgr8 said:
Agreed!

I disagree. They are only people who can't see the Truth. Why in the world would you ever want to punish the children for the stupid acts of their parents? First: You will never stop people from cheating; it's not just Calf Shows, Rodeos, Car Races, or any other sport. We are surrounded daily by unethical business people, crooked politicians, immoral educators. I can go on and on. The thing is; None of us are perfect, or beyond bending the rules ever so slightly at some time or another to benefit our cause.

The best thing any of us can do if we catch someone cheating, is to ask them if they know they are breaking the rules. Then, we have an opportunity to help them, not by turning them in, but through forgivness. Colossians Chpt. 3, verse 17 says: "Whatever you do, whether in word or in deed, do it ALL in the name of Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through Him. This statement poses two questions we need to ask ourselves before we say or do anything:. "Can I do this without violating God's perfect will?"
And, can I thank God for the opportunity to do this thing?

AAOK":3txjgtl5 said:
Why in the world would you ever want to punish the children for the stupid acts of their parents?
Because the parents run the show for the kids. If they knew they were to be Banned
they wouldn't break the rules.

:x i am in agreement with you in favor of banning pumping.
There was a steer at a show that was killed due to the rookie
pumping fluid into the calfs lungs. :mad: We would never do
that and are boycotting a show this spring in which this was
common place. :oops: I believe that all this artificial enhance
ment is soooooooooo wrong, whether it is in the cattle show
ring or the horse show areana( ever see some of the fake tails
the quarter horses are sporting? :roll: Just plain stupid looking! ) With good genetics, grooming and care, a show
calf will not need "help". :devil2:

i see and understand both side yall are tryin' to make. But the way i look at it is to me pumpin' is fine, it might be brakin' rules might be cheatin' but whats that lil old sayin' that us kids say now these days...if you aint cheatin' you aint tryin'. I know plentley of people..i could use my hands and toes..and count all the people that i know of, TJLA or NOT, that use this lil old sayin'. Pumpin' can be hard on calfs if you don't know how to do..and yes i will say it i do pump my calfs BUT not all the time at every show. I do run tjla and my calfs just about got it all down, i have a new string that i am haulin' thats not used to the city water where here at the house they drink well water, therefore it makes me have to pump so they will drink..that is the only time i pump. like i did say earlier i see both sides of it, its a wishy-washy topic. thats my input on it -B

Plus, its only illegal if you get caught.

If you break the rules it is illegal or at the very least immoral.

As far as I know, you can legally pump cattle in the TJLA unless the event rules state otherwise. I always read the rules to understand what we are getting into. I know which cattle within our breed will be pumped. Unfortunately, those cattle always win when they are allowed to pump. I must state that they did not break the rules. It had to be perfectly legal or they wouldn't openly pump them in the make ready arena. I don't like it, but the exhibitors were within their right to pump their animals.
As I see it, my family has two choices to deal with the issue. 1. Be elected to the board of directors and lobby to change the rules or
2.Choose not to attend the show

Latest posts