Pulling show steers with tractor.

Help Support CattleToday:

kaneranch

Reaction score
Have any of you pulled shows steers or heifers with a tractor to get them to lead. People are telling me that I need to do it to get my heifer to lead better. Does it work. Have any of you ever done it. Are there any better trick to do it.
Thanks Kaneranch

I've heard that tying them to a donkey works better. The one thing I remember about pulling them with the tractor is make sure you watch your feet. I remember one calf was pulling backwards with all his might and somehow my brother who was standing beside him managed to get his foot wedged under the steer's hoof. Dragged him for about twenty feet like that. Bad sprain but real lucky it wasn't broken.

Tractors aren't always the best. I find it's better to somehow get a show animal to cooperate with just practice and patience. If the animals doesn't walk, just have somebody walk behind the animal. If the animal tries to walk to fast, I either walk as slow as possible until it knows not to pull ahead of you.

Try not to ever let it get its head down even to eat grass. They get hard to control after you do it too many times.

We use the tractor method for calves that like to bolt and run on you. We will tie them with about a 30 ft lead and start to walk the calf. As soon as the calf starts to run we stop the tractor and when the calf hits the end of the rope they spin back around looking at us holding the rope. We have used this about 5 times the the past 15 years and it works. We never drag a calf or pull the calf when they are trying to stop. We use the tractor to stop the calf when human strength is not enough. Usually it takes about 2 - 5 sessions to get the calf from bolting and running.

Matt

i have done that it worked for me and it gets them used to strange situations. The donkey trick works to because the calf learns he's the follower and the donkey is the leader.

So is literally pulling the calf with the tractor bad. I have had some one on the tractor pulling her while I was holding on the the rope. I figured that it would make her think that I was the one pulling on her and that it was usless for her to try and pull back, someone please direct me on how right, wrong, or somewhere in between this is. Thanks Kaneranch

A lot of that depends on the calf. I personally would never drag one behind a tractor or a 4 wheeler, but that's me. Why do you need to drag the calf behind a tractor? What does she do that you can't get her to lead? Have you tried someone behind you? It's frustrating sometimes when they won't cooperate, but I've found that once you manage to figure out what the motivation is, you can usually fix the problem.

I can't see that you holding a rope and walking behind the tractor with the calf is going to convince the calf that it's you with the rope.. unless you're planning on going into the ring with a tractor.

We had an Angus heifer that could not get to lead to save our lives. She would just lock the back legs up. Tied her to truck and tried to pull her, she broke a couple halters and got a sore under chin.

Then a friend suggested the leading to feed and water (as mentioned above) So we would just take feed bucket in pen and let her eat, then my wife would have one of my kids take bucket about 5 feet away and she would lead her to it. Then do it again.

within a few minutes of that she would have them take bucket like 30 yards away and lead her to it, letting her eat for a minute or so and rubbing on her.

Wife worked with her for about 1 hour each day for 2 days. On the Third day my 6 year old son was leading the heifer anywhere he wanted to.

She went from Grown (over grown) man that can not move her to my 6 year old son able to show her in 3 days working it this way.

A few years ago we used a donkey on two of our heifers and I guess it was their disposition but they were never the same and even harder to handle after they came off the donkey. I've know people that use a tractor I personally felt in that situation it was the lazy thing to do, it was a small show calf and the child didn't want the burden of working with the animal so they took the easy way out and ended dragging the calf behind the tractor until its legs were bleeding, they kept using the tractor until they walked/pulled it to death. My daughter and I used the tie the head up as high as you can method and brush it and lead it to water and feed once the neck gets sore. People at work know each time I am halter breaking a new calf because I usually come to work with hoof marks showing through my hose.

Only thing I forgot on my post above with the heifer was that we had tied her up for a few days before trying to get her to lead. She would stand still when tied and let us brush her, she just would not lead. We had her gentle as far as brushing and standing tied first.

I don't have any experience with this kinda thing but i'll put in my opinion. I don't think dragging an animal by a tractor is going to achieve much, it probably has worked but i think a better way of training an animal is to make the task more enjoyable. Maybe leading him with a more advanced and tame animal would help, because after all there herd animals.

You mentioned to make your heifer lead better. Does that mean she can already lead? if she doesn't walk much maybe getting people leading animals infront and if she doesn't walk sooner or later she'll realise the animals in front are getting further away.

I am a small woman, 5'2", 120#, and I halter break all our cattle - mostly calves weighing about 500-600 and sometimes yearlings. First, I let them drag the halter, and we keep them in pens during the day, feeding them in their pens, getting them used to us moving around them & getting close to them. Than my husband snags the halter & ties them to a ring on the solid wall (gates aren't very good, because they can get a leg caught in the bars). He does this 2 nights, we leave them tied about 15-30 minutes, depending on how hard they struggle. But, we rarely have one fight more than a minute or two, because they have learned that when they step on the rope, if they back up, it quits hurting. Than we quietly release them - NEVER when they are pulling. 3rd day, I can snag their rope & tie them up myself at their feeding spot, spending time brushing & scratching them. Pull, get 1 step, stop & release pressure. If they are not too frightened of you, scratch their face & loosen halter. When they relax, pull & get them to make 1 more step. Stop - repeat reward. Always pull them TO feed (some people use water). After about two days of me tieing them am & pm, I tie them to a rail, with their heads up, brush them, scratch them "in the right spots", then lead them to their feed - 1 step at a time if necessary, rewarding them. NEVER try to lead one in a large area. Our largest pen is about 12 X 20. If they run, I can stay with them holding the end of the rope - so they never get away.
I would much rather have a "balker" than a run-away.
I do not believe in using a tractor. If I have one that keeps trying to get away. We will hook her up to a broke cow or yearling, leading her. If the calf bolts, she is pulled back by bigger cow, but thinks we have her. Rarely tries more than a few times. Biggest thing, do not take them outside until you are REALLY sure they won't run. Also, I first just walk them out the barn door & stop them, let go & walk away. Don't ever let go when they are pulling or acting nervous.
Pulling & releasing pressure is a slow method, but works!

Kaneranch,
Listen to Aplusmnt and Jeanne. Calves are much like people, only more stupid. No, I guess I've known several people not as smart as a cow. Anyway, kindness and reward are always the best methods used to get something (or someone) to do what you want. Everything you do with your calf, repeat, repeat and repeat. Then, let him/her know how good they did. They will learn that as long as you are around, they have nothing to worry about and no reason to be afraid. 8)

Yes, I forgot - repitition, repitition. Have a routine, so they know what to expect.
I am presently halter breaking 4 heifers that weight about 750-800#. I was able to tug/walk them to the tie ring after Ken tied them twice. After 1 week, I can tie their halter around their neck so they don't have to step on it. I can do that, because I can now walk up to their face & handle the halter without "snagging" it on the ground. If I was going to finish breaking them, I would continue working with them until I can just take the halter off & put it on in the pen.
Another thing, when I can just walk up to them & put their halter on, I NEVER put it on & immediately tie them up during the training period. I put the halter on, scratch their face, put the rope over their backs, and clean the pen or go & put the halter on the others. If everytime you walk up to them & put their halter on, and tie them, they soon learn they DO NOT want you to put that halter on.

I have used the donkey method and it worked on breaking the calf but the donkey ate its ears and tail hair off while i was away one day. it night be pretty dangerous.

Tractor is no good. May make them balk more. Jeanne Simme Valley breaks exactly like I do. Follow like she described. Easier for the calf to gain trust for you and easier for you in the short and long run. Take Care, Sterlingbp

Funny, this thread would show up this morning. Last night we watched an RFD program - halter breaking a calf. I had heard of this guys method, but was really interesting to watch.
He put a calf in a 10 x 10 pen - never had been messed with. He just kept rubbing the calf with a show stick. Calf ran around the pen - slammed into the panels - finally slowed down. Trainer pointed out that the calf ALWAYS stopped in the same place (I see this all the time). When he stopped, the guy reached out & scratched his butt, near the tail head. Calf would take off again. Kept this up until he could scratch him on his back & was relaxing. He slipped a halter on the calf (really slick). The halter was tied to a second halter so that he had a really long lead on the calf. When the calf would stop, he would "gently" tug on his head (light tug, release, tug release). The calf finally would take a step towards him, and he would quit tugging. He kept this up until he was able to "real in" the long lead & got the calf right up to him & scratch his head. Somewhere at this point, he opened the gate & got into a large pen. Kept this up til he was actually walking the calf with the one lead. AFTER, he was able to walk the calf, he finally tied him on a low bar of the gate.
He had a "chain link" hooked on the "eye" of the halter (where the lead usually goes thru) and he had the lead go thru the link so that the tension under his chin released real quick. After he was tied about 10 minutes, he slipped the halter off. He said he can occomplish this with about 5 head in one day. It was REALLY SLICK.!! He did say that having a calf in a confined place & feeding him and/or letting him drag the halter prior to this method, was better. Agreed that dragging & stepping on the halter worked to teach them to stop.
I was impressed! Took a few hours, but that varies between calves.

:lol: The RFD channel had a real good piece on halter breaking calves. It was from the "BE a winner cattle camp"
in Oklahoma ( my nephew has attended twice), The guy
used a method similiar to colts. :p

Latest posts