Pulling Metal Fence Post

Help Support CattleToday:

Nowland Farms

Reaction score
I've got about 1/2 mile of fence that I will be replacing if it ever rains around here to soften up the ground. I want to use the front end loader to pull the post.

Hass anybody on here done this? If so what did you use?

Looking for something that we could slide down over the top of the metal post that will grab the post when pulled from above with the front end loader.

We use the loader tractor with bale spear on it...easier to move the chain around. One person on the tractor, and one person wrapping a chain around the post.

Michele

Chain is probably as easy as anything . I use a hand puller which is a 4 foot pipe handle with a "C" piece of 1/2 " steel sideways on a loose loop on the end of the pipe .

Weld an attachment point about 1/3rd the way up which will be a stand on the ground. You lever across this stand.

You could put the "C" piece on the chain end too attached on to your bucket.
The "C" goes round the post and slops sideways when you lift

EDIT- comes up later in the thread as a "post popper"

Nowland Farms":369kobpp said:
Hass anybody on here done this? If so what did you use?

Yes. We use a chain that is half-hitched over the post - I run the chain, and Dad runs the loader.

I used to use a chain, last year I took a heavy piece of channel and cut a large v-shaped hole in it and welded a piece of chain to the channel at the small end of the V. A wook on the chain attached to the loader hooks on the chain welded to the channel. The channel is slipped over the post with the small end of the V on the side with the bottom of the T on it. Works slick as snot on a door knob

dun":29gn21jm said:
I used to use a chain, last year I took a heavy piece of channel and cut a large v-shaped hole in it and welded a piece of chain to the channel at the small end of the V. A wook on the chain attached to the loader hooks on the chain welded to the channel. The channel is slipped over the post with the small end of the V on the side with the bottom of the T on it. Works slick as snot on a door knob

Yes, sir, I can see where that would work out slicker than snot on a door knob! If you don't mind my asking, how big was this piece of channel iron, and what size hole did you cut in it? Dad wouldn't need to ask those questions, but I do. :oops: Thanks!

msscamp":3kq5kvg1 said:
dun":3kq5kvg1 said:

Yes, sir, I can see where that would work out slicker than snot on a door knob! If you don't mind my asking, how big was this piece of channel iron, and what size hole did you cut in it? Dad wouldn't need to ask those questions, but I do. :oops: Thanks!

If I remember I'll check later when it;s warmer

dun,

That sounds like what I was thinking about. I also am interested in the measurments and maybe a picture or two.

Thanks.

If you look at the picture in this post you will see a piece of chain hanging on the right. The chain has a piece of flat iron with a hole in it. The square hole is cut 1/4 inch wider than a t-post and 1/2 inch longer. This shape will cam on a t-post and you can pull them straight out of the ground without bending. Very easy to make and cheap. YOu can use it by yourself but it is easier to have one person on ground and one on tractor.

PS for simplicity, I welded a chain hook on the back of the frame of my spear so I can easily hook it there.

http://cattletoday.com/forum/viewtopic. ... cing+tools

Jogeephus":1dmunvd2 said:
If you look at the picture in this post you will see a piece of chain hanging on the right. The chain has a piece of flat iron with a hole in it. The square hole is cut 1/4 inch wider than a t-post and 1/2 inch longer. This shape will cam on a t-post and you can pull them straight out of the ground without bending. Very easy to make and cheap. YOu can use it by yourself but it is easier to have one person on ground and one on tractor.

PS for simplicity, I welded a chain hook on the back of the frame of my spear so I can easily hook it there.

http://cattletoday.com/forum/viewtopic. ... cing+tools

Exact same principle as the one I made but I used a different shaped hole.

i have seen some that will tilt the tracor over if your not careful, sometimes they just dont want to come out, had some really old ones that i just had to cut with a torch and bang them down below the ground

okbob":3goluh0e said:
i have seen some that will tilt the tracor over if your not careful, sometimes they just dont want to come out, had some really old ones that i just had to cut with a torch and bang them down below the ground

For the tough ones I sling the chain across the front of the bucket so that the pull is straight in front. Still been known to lift the back of the tractor though.

Tod Dague":3hm4761x said:
MikeC":3hm4761x said:
Post Popper:

Slick as a whistle and twice as fast as a front end loader or 3-Pt hitch:

http://www.hooverfence.com/tools/post-popper.htm
I have one of those. Works great for me if the ground is wet. I managed to break it during the drought. I plan on using the loader next time.

I've got one of those too and have had a few posts too tight to pull with it but it never broke. Better lay off them steroids Tod. :shock:

milesvb":6dpht7gz said:
Tod Dague":6dpht7gz said:
MikeC":6dpht7gz said:
Post Popper:

Slick as a whistle and twice as fast as a front end loader or 3-Pt hitch:

http://www.hooverfence.com/tools/post-popper.htm
I have one of those. Works great for me if the ground is wet. I managed to break it during the drought. I plan on using the loader next time.

I've got one of those too and have had a few posts too tight to pull with it but it never broke. Better lay off them steroids Tod. :shock:
I don't think it's the roids so much as the dinner plate. :oops:

whatssit9-25-06.jpg
it works

I did this myself a few months ago. A road was being widened and my neighbor said I could pull all the T-Posts I wanted. I purchased a t-post puller from harbor freight $20 and it did the trick for the most part but we left some because the puller couldn't take a 270lb fat guy bouncing on it. Tractor supply has one that is beefier for $39. After I did all that work I saw Jogeephuses picture and thought that is a great tool. If you have a few hands I would use a regular t-post puller and use the chain and tractor on the stubborn t-posts. This way you will rock and roll. At $3 dollars a t-post you should be doing better than minimmum wage. ;-)

This is Jogeephuses pic
IMG_1625.jpg

Walt

Latest posts