Pulling Metal Fence Post

Help Support CattleToday:

dun":1cb9e9k5 said:
okbob":1cb9e9k5 said:
i have seen some that will tilt the tracor over if your not careful, sometimes they just dont want to come out, had some really old ones that i just had to cut with a torch and bang them down below the ground

For the tough ones I sling the chain across the front of the bucket so that the pull is straight in front. Still been known to lift the back of the tractor though.

What kind of tractor can't pull a steel post??????

loomis":31o9j6st said:
That's only about a 70 to 80 hp tractor isin't it??

I think it's 75 pto. But with the rear tires full of fluid when the post will lift the backend in the air a couple of feet (before I lose my nerve), I figure the post can just stay there, or the stub end of it can anyway.

I don't know much about that small of tractor but i just can't picture what kind of ground you must have that you can't pull a steel post. But then I live in the sandhills of Nebraska.

loomis":36ow8ea6 said:
I don't know much about that small of tractor but i just can't picture what kind of ground you must have that you can't pull a steel post. But then I live in the sandhills of Nebraska.

Limestone rock. Average soil depth is something like 3-4 inches. That's in the real good spots.

Dun, you must live next door you have described my ground only there is places can't get the tractor to stay stopped to pull a post.

dun":gtmm39cn said:
loomis":gtmm39cn said:

Limestone rock. Average soil depth is something like 3-4 inches. That's in the real good spots.

What I want to know is when Paul Bunyon drove those posts in the ground (rock) I thought he was a logger.....

danl":2etctho2 said:
dun":2etctho2 said:
loomis":2etctho2 said:

What I want to know is when Paul Bunyon drove those posts in the ground (rock) I thought he was a logger.....

Just find a crack and hope it extends through several layers of limestone. Sometimes the limestone is 16 inches thick. I have pulled T-Posts in half a few times with the Cat.

Dig the limestone and sell it. If it is junk it will go for rip rap. Take the thick ones, pick it up and drop it to break it into rip rap. If it is over a 3 ton slab, drop another slab on it to break it up.

A T-post in a crack of limestone only needs to be about 8 inches in the ground. It is not going anywhere. You can use the cheap 6 footers.

backhoeboogie":5qs0xl7r said:
danl":5qs0xl7r said:
dun":5qs0xl7r said:
loomis":5qs0xl7r said:

Just find a crack and hope it extends through several layers of limestone. Sometimes the limestone is 16 inches thick. I have pulled T-Posts in half a few times with the Cat.

Dig the limestone and sell it. If it is junk it will go for rip rap. Take the thick ones, pick it up and drop it to break it into rip rap. If it is over a 3 ton slab, drop another slab on it to break it up.

A T-post in a crack of limestone only needs to be about 8 inches in the ground. It is not going anywhere. You can use the cheap 6 footers.

If I dug out the limestone I'ld have a huge valley instead of a ridge.
A lot of folks see a crooked fence around here and think that hillbillys must not be able to shoot a straight line. After building enough fence I've come to consider anything within 2 feet either side of the center line as straight.

Latest posts