Pulling bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

504RP

Reaction score
I know there are cattlemen who run their bulls during breeding season for about 3 months for various reasons. One so that their calfs will be born close together usually right before Spring. I have some tell me they do that sort of a trail period to determine how well the cow will breed back. I have been told by a few people if a cow won't conceive during that three months they consider it infertile, and get rid of it.

I like the idea of getting all of my cows calving around the same time of the year. Usually in early Spring, instead of middle of the winter when the elements could possibly kill the calf.

I have been pulling my bulls around the end of October. Turning them in on cows around June. Thats about 5 months instead of 3. But out of 29 cows using 2 bulls until last breeding season when i cut back to one bull. Things worked out ok but not perfect. A couple of times had 2 or 3 cows that didn't breed back. Instead of getting rid of them i would give them another chance and they all bred back.

Well i had a cow to prolapse through the night while calving. Calf made it but the cow bled out and died during the night. Found her dead the next morning.

So that cut me back to 28 cows. Well this breeding season i had 12 out of 28 to not have a calf. Until today i had a calf born. With me pulling the bull off last October that could shouldn't have been able to of gotten bred. I had it on my winter paster where i fed all winter. No neighbors bull could have gotten to her. Plus their are no other cattle within miles of my place. The only bull on the place was mine. BUT !!! I keep him in his own private pad dock srperate from the rest of the herd. Along with usually 5 or 6 cows that he had ran with all summer that should have already been bred to begin with. So i am guessing this cow, one of the 12 that hadn't had a calf must have been one that wintered with him.

So i am going to rethink this pulling bulls to get all of my cows to calf about the same time.

I know people who wont consider trying to sink thier heard because of possibly cows not breeding back in a 3 to 4 month period. They say sometimes if it is a hot Summer and 3 or 4 cows come in heat all at the same time. And if your running just one bull on a small herd like mine. That a bull might lay up in the shade due to the hot weather and miss one or two of the 4 that all came in heat at the same time.

Majority of folks with that herd size run the bull year round..it's great to have a calving season.getting it over and done in a short period. having a uniform group to sell all at the same time,is great way to operate it like a business.but aint practical for every one....if a breeder gets his cows out of sinc due to error he could be culling a good fertile cow ..plus all need to be in good condition At breeding time good fertile bull strong libido be hard for hot weather to hold him back.though the heat with effect sperm production..

I'm going to a defined 3 month season at my lil lease place. I'll but the bull with em in December sometime. Then the bull will come home in March to breed the home cows.
If the ones at the lease place dont breed, they GOT TO GO!
Someone said on here a while back, if u cull the ones u make excuses for, pretty soon u wont have to make any more excuses!
That's my goal at that place.

Now that being said, I'm gonna leave a yearling bull over there in case they didnt breed timely. A short bred should bring more at a sale than an open...

You can do it the opposite way and still get the same results except your culls will be maybe worth more. Let me explain. Its similar to what TC does

Put your bulls with the cows to determine when you want them to calve. Leave the bulls with them for 8 months or so. Have the cows palpated after the 8 months of exposure and sell the short breds as bred cows or calve them out and sell as pairs.

The bull is only half the herd. The other half is the heifers you choose.
Only retain breeding stock born in the 1st 30 days of the calving cycle.
Semen test the bull if you are concerned,
''Buy books and buy books and what do they do? Tear out the pages!"

Cows need to have a calf every 12 months, Cost per month is the same to keep a cow whether she is bred or open. If she has a calf every 14 or 16 months, she is costing you money compared to the cow that has a calf every 12 months. If they don't breed back for a calf every 12 months, look to improve your nutrition, BCS, bull fertility, and management practices. If all those are OK, look to improve your cow fertility by culling those that do not calve on time. Tighten up your calving to 60-90 days. Having a tight calving time will allow you to improve efficiency in terms of time management in checking cows, working cows, vaccinations, weaning, marketing., etc. Leaving a bull out for many months leads to a long strung out calving season. Pulling the bull after 60-90 days and then preg checking and culling the opens will lead to a higher level of fertility. Semen test your bulls prior to turnout. A sub-fertile bull will lead to open cows. Culling the open cows in that case will not increase fertility. Just my opinion for my part of the country.

Back when I was running just a few cows on a year round basis I would leave the bull with the cows until a couple weeks after the first cow calved. That would be the first of February. Then I turned him out April 15. Then come early October when I weaned I would preg check the cows. Any that pregged open got shipped. Any that hadn't calved by bull turn out got sold. Using this program I only had to deal with the bull seperate from the cows for about 2 months. It was the time of the year when I was feeding so he went into a strong built corral where he got fed. I often put a steer in with him to keep him company.

Agree on the BSE!
My bulls get examined every year. I've given thought to every 6 months but that may be overkill.

I'm also thinking about calving any late ones and selling as pairs as well...
Still a plan in the making

I've finally tightened up to strictly spring calving. I used to pull the bulls 6 weeks prior to weaning (to hopefully eliminate any heifer calves getting bred) then put them back until calving. And, of course, that's when I either had late calvers or sold as bred or pairs.

@504RP We have about the same size herd, around 30 give or take each year. We winter all together but split up on two farms for summer grazing, so we have two bulls. We plan for April calving. The bulls stay with the herd for most of the year and are pulled when the first calf is born, then turned back in first of July. We only need to preg check what hasn't calved in the first three months. If the cow is due soon they stay and will let calve, if they are open or due more than a month or two away they will go to auction. This is the time of the year when cull process are at their highest in our area. This method maximizes our cull revenue and minimizes vet cost because. We usually only have one free loader every few years that was fed all winter without producing. We also only keep replacement heifers that are born in the first month of our calving season from our best, most consistent calving cows. This increases our fertility traits and allows us to bred heifers at 15 months and stay in sinct with our calving season.

We can usually give a good cow or young cow a pass for falling behind, but they have to catch up in the following seasons. We have seen cows move up 4-6 weeks in the calving season from one year to the next. Ones that have trouble rebreeding will be evident fairly quickly. This works for us because we wean and sell feeder calves in the fall and board our replacement heifers off the farm.

We have neighbors that let their bull run all year long and don't cull. Their herds are a mess, they have calves all year long and lose a quite a few in winter.

I always have had a BSE done on my bulls before i ever put them on cows. And keep up with the body condition of the cows. They are given mineral, whatever supplements i feel they need. I think they are aways in good condition. I vaccinate cows, calves, bull all.

Up until this last year i would have the cows palpated a couple months after i had pulled the bull to see what was going on with them. But didn't this last time.

But i am going to make some changes. May even try something new. I have heared my Vet talking about luttle lacing cows on a couple different occasions. But if i remember right he was doing that on groups of heifers that were bought at the sale barn that hadn't had calves yet ( 6 to 700 lb heifers) that wasn't supposed to have ever been ecposed to a bull. But the owner wanted to lace them so just in case they were early bred they would abort rather than run the risk of them dieing from giving birth to a calf out of a bull that was known to throw calfs big enough that could kill a first time heifer.

Well i am past that point with this heard i have now. All of these cows have had at least 3 calves each, most of them 4.

Most of thoes calves are out of the bull i kept. So i am not too worried about having to pull a calf because its is too big. Haven't pulled a calf one out of this heard so far. Other than the one that prolapsed i haven't had any calving problems until these not breeding back.

So i think i am going to try somethings first before i start culling cows. Its not that i don't agree with what alot of you are talking about losing money on open cows. It's just that its not like i am losing a fortune on 28 head. Even with all 28 having a calve every 12 months like clock work. With the prices all over the board from one year to the next i am lucky to break even every now and then.

One of the things i am going to try is luttle lacing them a few at a time at the beginning of breeding season to bring them in heat. I know that would be alot of trouble but again i only have 28 head so it's doable .

And if it works it would be something that could pay off in the future. I have done it with horse's and had real good luck.

Plus it looks to me like there would be some risk involved in culling a cow that doesn't or is slow to breed back in replacing it with one that your going to take a chance on that doesn't have the same problems as the one you just culled. And to me if that was to happen again you have just lost more time.

Ya never know what you'll get when ya buy something new. Could be good. Could be more of the same.

I've heard of giving em a shot of lute and putting cidrs in to sync em up. Dont know anything about the protocol but maybe that's doable for your operation.

I have seen lutalyse used on horse's and used it on two of own mare's. A guy was raising mule colts and was using lutalyse to bring the mare's in heat. Told me it worked really well. Asked me if i would be ok with him giving two mare's that i had taken to him to have bred to a mammoth jack. Told him to go ahead. Both mares stuck the first and only time around.

I think it would work on cattle. Can't say for sure until i talk with my vet. I am pretty sure i have heard him say he has used it to bring cows in. Know for sure hearing him say he has used it to cause young heifers to abort.

I have seen lutalyse used on horse's and used it on two of own mare's.

I think it would work on cattle. Can't say for sure until i talk with my vet.
Hmmm lutalyse for use in cattle... whatta concept...
but, google search might could save a trip to your vet.

prostglandins for estrus synchronization in beef cows 1980 - H.L. Miller SDSU -
lutalyse was approved for horses 1976 and for use in cattle since 1979

Those drugs just manipulate the natural process. They dont turn water to wine like you are hoping.

Its your cattle to decide and play with to try to see if it was a short term problem but your headed in the wrong direction with the lute.

Last edited:
Hmmm lutalyse for use in cattle... whatta concept...
but, google search might could save a trip to your vet.

prostglandins for estrus synchronization in beef cows 1980 - H.L. Miller SDSU -
lutalyse was approved for horses 1976 and for use in cattle since 1979

You think your telling me something i don't already know ?

Last edited:
You think your telling me something i don't already know ?

Latest posts